What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bowen the next target for Union

Darko

Juniors
Perth target Origin super-sub
By Jon Geddes
April 21, 2005

QUEENSLAND Origin super-sub Matt Bowen may become the first high-profile rugby league recruit to switch codes and link with new Super 14 franchise Western Force in Perth.

Force chief executive Peter O'Meara last night confirmed interest in Tri-Nations tourist Bowen, who is off contract with North Queensland Cowboys at the end of this season.

Mystery surrounds who made the initial approach about the Cowboys star shifting to Western Australia, with O'Mara suggesting a player manager contacted him.

But Bowen's manager Wayne Beavis last night denied any contact with the Force.

"Look, [Bowen's] name has been broadly spoken about. Usually the fullbacks and wingers can convert quickly," O'Meara said.

"Some league scouts have touted his name with us -- you know how player managers sort of hound you. So his name has been mentioned."

Force coach John Mitchell last night confirmed he has had a keen eye on Bowen since the NRL season started in March, but said Perth had yet to make a formal approach.

"He's somebody that I've admired in the game over the last couple of years so I think he'd make a really good transition," Mitchell said.

"Even before I was in this job I've always kept an eye on him. He's someone I really enjoy watching.

"We're around people who are available but there's been no major contact to date."

An elusive player such as Bowen could command upwards of $250,000 on the NRL's open market after the June 30 deadline -- an offer the Force would need to beat to lure him into a code switch.

O'Meara confirmed the Perth franchise are also looking at two other NRL players, understood to be Wests Tigers winger Pat Richards and Parramatta's Matt Petersen.

Tigers flyer Richards, one of the joint venture's most consistent players this season, previously attracted interest from the ACT Brumbies when he was off contract in 2002.

Canberra's Clinton Schifcofske was another league player on the Force's inquiry list until last Friday, when he re-signed with the Raiders for another three seasons.

"There are a couple [of league players] that we've got our eye on," O'Meara said.

"They're not super-dooper names, they're more boys that have made the transition and decided it's not for them maybe."

Eels winger Petersen grew up in Perth and was a junior with the Reds before moving to Townsville to link with the Cowboys and then joining Parramatta.

Petersen's manager David Riolo last night confirmed the Eels player's interest in making the switch.

"Matt was bought up in Perth. He has property over there and family over there so it would be an option worth considering," Riolo said.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,15032283-39018,00.html

thickos

First Grade
It'd be a blow for the Cowboys but not league in general. As has been proven time and time again, some 18 year old superstar will come in and fill the void by those who cross to the dark side.

Besides, at the end of the day yawnion is still a steaming pile of shit :clap:

gaterooze

Bench
Can't see Bowen going. He's a God up in Nth QLD. Talk of poaching a popular player like him will just make people HATE Union even more.

Most League fans didn't care much about Sailor and Rogers switching because they were egotistical assholes.

Peterson is likely to jump, and really, who gives a toss? Even Eels fans think he's rubbish.

No one will notice if Pat Richards goes. Good player on his day, but so injury prone.

Geeze Union must be desperate :lol:

Broncodroid

Juniors
The first of many off contract players who will be names in news articles as potential targets for the new Super 14 franchise the Perth Force. Out of the 100 players they name, they may get a 7-10 never was players from our lower grades.

Bravo! :clap:

DIEHARD

----
This is the biggest pile of shit ever.

Matt Bowen will NEVER leave rugby league for union.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Bowen wont be the same in Union, its a different game dont they know that already. :lol: A bloke his size isnt gonna pass 15 blokes in a huddle, no offence but he's better off staying in League. Dont they have their own talent. Oh wait thats right they dont, thats why 50% of Union players are ex-league players.

Peterson is likely to jump, and really, who gives a toss? Even Eels fans think he's rubbish.

I dont think he's rubbish, and those other Eels fans should have a hard look at themselves. Cause he can score some pretty handy tries, tries his best and goes well when hits up the ball.

Matt Bowen has the skills to be a bloody good Scrum Half,
Great vision, solid ball skills, good kicking game and
in broken play he would carve it up......

He would just have to learn the game inside-out.

Darth Bobo

thickos said:
As has been proven time and time again, some 18 year old superstar will come in and fill the void by those who cross to the dark side.

Agreed, just look at the player some people regard as the best Rugby winger in the world........Lote who? The guy that used to be on Rooney's wing?..........nevermind, it's not important :D

eelandia

Juniors
PARRA_FAN said:
Bowen wont be the same in Union, its a different game dont they know that already. :lol: A bloke his size isnt gonna pass 15 blokes in a huddle, no offence but he's better off staying in League. Dont they have their own talent. Oh wait thats right they dont, thats why 50% of Union players are ex-league players.

I dont think he's rubbish, and those other Eels fans should have a hard look at themselves. Cause he can score some pretty handy tries, tries his best and goes well when hits up the ball.

Peterson is heart attack material - a couple of mistakes per game at least. I'm looking at myself and I still can't rate him as a first grader. The tries he scores you would expect any first grade winger to score. It's great he tries his best - hopefully all players do.

t-ba

Post Whore
I don't know what we're all worried about...The Farce are quite literally on a hiding to nothing.

_Johnsy

Referee
I know a past player with very strong ties with the club and players. From what I hear he will not go over to yawnion.

Latest posts