What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boxing Day Test squad

Earl

Coach
Ed Cowan and Shaun Marsh are set for Boxing Day call-ups today at the expense of the unlucky Usman Khawaja and the out-of-sorts Phil Hughes.

And Ben Hilfenhaus is shaping as a fast bowling bolter in an extended 13-man squad that is not expected to include Ryan Harris or Shane Watson, both of whom are returning from injury.

The news comes as Australia coach Mickey Arthur says nobody, including veterans Ricky Ponting and Mike Hussey, are guaranteed a baggy green.

Cowan appears to have forced his way into the Australia squad for the series opener after plundering 578 runs at 64.22 in first class cricket this season. His brilliant form continued in Tuesday's Chairman's XI game at Manuka Oval, scoring 109 against India.

Marsh, meanwhile, has made a stunning recovery from a back injury to catch the eye of selectors yesterday during a two-hour batting session at Australia's batting camp in Melbourne.

He is expected to play for the Perth Scorchers in the Big Bash League match against the Melbourne Renegades at Etihad Stadium on Thursday in what is shaping as a Boxing Day fitness test.

Khawaja looks set to be the unfortunate casualty of Cowan's excellent form and Marsh's recuperative powers.

He managed just 7 and 23 in the Hobart Test against New Zealand, but is regarded as a player of the future and could consider himself unlucky to be demoted at a time when Ponting and Hussey are struggling for runs, something that Arthur seemed to acknowledge.

"Nobody has a guaranteed start, nobody has a privilege to play in the Australian cricket team," Arthur said.

"They have to be producing the goods and giving us the ammunition to play but they are the type of characters we want in our side definitely."

"I have backed Ricky and Mike Hussey for a period of time, I think for a young batter to bat with guys like that is fantastic but then again they need to keep giving us ammunition, keep giving us performances," Arthur said.

"Ricky is vital to where we want to take this team so we are hoping he finds his form and hopefully it is just around the corner."

Arthur admitted he loved the convenience of an all-rounder like Proteas star Jacques Kallis but one that could command a top six slot.

While stopping short of endorsing Dan Christian, Arthur said his 475 Shield runs at 60 and 10 wickets this season for South Australia suggested he belonged at the elite level,

"He has an unbelievable record this year, stats will tell you he could be in our top six batters but the fitness of our other players will also possibly determine that down the line," he said.
Arthur said he would prefer to be decisive and name a 12-man squad today but was probably not in a position to do that.

Watson and Harris are unlikely to be selected in the Boxing Day squad as they continue their recoveries from injury. Watson did not participate in a net session at yesterday's batting camp and was instead confined to an exercise bike. Officials remain hopeful he will be available for the Sydney Test.

Harris is also considered a fitness risk for the Boxing Day Test but remains a chance to play at the SCG in the New Year's Test.

Hilfenhaus is looming as the surprise selection in the Australian squad, and could be bracketed alongside Mitchell Starc for the final slot in Australia's pace rotation.

The paceman has taken 22 wickets at 30.90 in first-class cricket this season, and has impressed with his ability to swing the ball and bowl long spells.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket...g-day-test-squad/story-fn2mcu3x-1226227250282

Surely Trent Copeland and Josh Hazelwood are ahead of Ben Hilfenhaus.

Last edited:

yappy

Bench
Copes wouldn't be. Injured and hasn't been able to buy a wicket for a while now.

Hazelwood though would be a huge improvement over Starc and would the be the guy I'd give real serious thought to playing. The Indian big guns will convert to christianity and pig out on Christmas Feasts for 5 days on Starc's short and wide assortment of pies and fruit. Haze would keep it tight and be a genuine wicket taking danger.

HevyDevy

Coach
Yeah Starc has to go. Other than his very first spell in the first Test he was awful.

And Hilfy has never lived up to his promise. If anything he should have played on that green top in Hobart, but I don't rate him.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
So Marsh has batted well in the nets and impressed selectors??? :?

And why the obsession with an all rounder???

And 22 wickets at 30 is good enough to force your way into the side now ??? FFS!!

yappy

Bench
So Marsh has batted well in the nets and impressed selectors??? :?

And why the obsession with an all rounder???

And 22 wickets at 30 is good enough to force your way into the side now ??? FFS!!

To be fair it's actually 20 @ 28.6, but yeah that's about as good as Hilf gets, and it ain't good enough.

Hogan's 32 at 21.65 is actually looking pretty handy, but age is probably counting against him (but he is a Bluebagger so that should count in the plus column ;-) )

Surprised that Haze has been going for 30 actually. The big opening partnership in the last game must have hurt his numbers because he was around 25 before that.

HevyDevy

Coach
Harris would be first picked if he was fit, but he probably won't be.

McKay - don't rate him.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
not sure why Hilfy is being recalled, too one dimensional for mine, fast outswingers and fast outswingers and no ability to bowl reverse swing when the ball gets old that I have seen, then again, the other option is Starc

personally I'd prefer Hazlewood (or George), I dont really care too much what his stats say, he's an all round better bowler than both of them and he's on the improve and if he doesn't bowl well he'll still be better off for the experience. I dont think eitehr Hilfy or Starc is the answer

As long as Christian is only expected to bowl about 4 overs a session we'd probably get by, he looks a batting all rounder to me and that would be my preference at 6, rather than a bowling all rounder

TheParraboy

Staff member
Hilfy bowled real well in a t20 big bash game the other night. Surely that will get him a test recall

Earl

Coach
Ricky Ponting's preparations for the Boxing Day Test have been struck a painful blow, the batsman hit on the right hand while batting in the nets at the MCG.

Ponting, one of seven players attending the Australian Batting Group Camp designed to prepare them for the Boxing Day Test against India, winced in pain after being struck.

It is not know whether he has sustained an injury that threatens his place in the squad to be named on Wednesday.

- More to follow

http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/australia/ricky-ponting-struck-painful-blow-on-hand-in-nets-at-australia-cricket-batting-camp/story-fn2mcu3x-1226227506324

So Ricky Ponting will be dropped, but will be covered up by 'injury' ?

Matt23

Staff member
Little bit surprised about Hilfy, doubt he'll get a game though

Last edited:

Latest posts