What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boxing/NFL trivia question

C

CanadianSteve

Outlaw: The confusion here results from the fact that Super Bowls are played in the new year, but most of the season is played in the previous year.(BTW, notice how the early SB's were played in early January; now the NFL season extends to February.) So fans and media usually refer to, for example, the 1977season and sometimes that season's Super Bowl is called the 1977 Super Bowl even though it was actually played in 78.

So, Broncos-fan-baller's list has the Super Bowls as they are often commonly referred to, even though the date of the game is actually in the new year. For some reason, the NHL and NBA seasons are always referred to as the 1977-78 season, for example, but the NFL season is commonly referred to by the single year in which most of it is played. (Major League baseball avoids this confusion since it is played within the calendar year, from April-October.)

Legend: Craig Morton was a former Cowboys quarterback who had battled Staubach for the starting position in the early 70's. He was tall with a strong arm, but not considered as talented as Staubach or the other great QBs of the day. But he had a very good season with the Broncos that year, and they defeated their hated rivals the Raiders in the AFC final that year. The strongest part of the team was the "Orange Crush" defence, as you say.

The team I follow is the Steelers. I have followed them since the 72 season when they beat the Raiders in the playoffs with the famous "Immaculate Reception" catch by Franco Harris. They went on to win 4 SB's in 6 years and were the dominant team of the decade. I don't follow the NFL as closely now as I did then, in my 20's, but I still pull for the Steelers, and this preseason a lot of publications are picking them to go to the Super Bowl.

imported_Outlaw

Juniors
I always thought the NFL SuperBowl win was listed as the year played as opposed to the year the season began. I know they always start about mid September but the SuperBowl is played in the following year. The seasons, I always thought, were listed through two (like 78-79) but the actual final was one.
Anyway Steve....
Thanks for the clarrification mate. I never thought of that in all honesty.
Sorry fanballer
emembarrassed.gif

C

CanadianSteve

Outlaw, I wasn't really saying you were wrong. Your way may even be the official way the NFL lists Super Bowls. I was just saying fan-baller's list used the common way of referring to SB's as I understand it.

C

CanadianSteve

I'll try another trivia question, inspired by the list of Super bowl MVPs.
Name the 3 SB winning quarterbacks who played for the University of Alabama. 2 of them are on the MVP list, one is not.
I apologize if this is too obscure for some of the NFL fans here.

L

legend

One is Terry Bradshaw and one is definitely not John Elway, he was a product of Stanford in California, so that narrowa it down a bit.

C

CanadianSteve

No, Terry Bradshaw played for a small school called Louisiana Tech, not a big college power, though he was drafted first in the NFL, in 1970 I think.
2 of the 3 I have in mind played for the legendary Alabama coach Paul "Bear" Bryant, the other one is older and played there before Bryant coached there.

Just as a peice of useless information, ESPN are making a movie about Bear Bryant at the moment in Sydney. Apparently they believe they can turn St Mary's into the "Junction". Still, having seen the size of the kids they are useing out there its going to look more like a bunch of primary school kids in pads as opposed to college aged ones so I guess anyting is possible. Seems there wasnt a kid in that era over 80kg's, linemen included... riiiiiiiiiight! :D

C

CanadianSteve

Why would they make such a movie in Australia?
Bryant was known in the 60s for having small linemen who were very tough and tenacious. He had a lot of linement who were about 200 pounds when the norm was about 240-260 9sorry I'm not good with kg's) But by the later years in his career he started to have bigger lineman, such as NFL Hall of Famer John Hannah, who played for the Patriots in the 70s and 80s .
There was an anecdote I read that a fan, commenting on Bryant's success with smaller players, said to him, "Coach, I think you could take a midget and coach him to guard Wilt Chamberlain (a 7 foot 1 giant who was then an unstoppable college basketball star.) Bryant said something like no, that was an exaggeration. But then he paused and said "but that doesn't mean the son of a bitch can't be guarded.

L

legend

I'm pretty sure Troy Aikman was a product of UCLA and not Alabama.

C

CanadianSteve

Joe Namath is one. 2 more SB winning quarterbacks, one was MVP, one was not (one of his receivers was.) One was older than Joe Namath, one younger.

C

CanadianSteve

Yes, Bart Starr, who later was coach of the Packers as well.

C

CanadianSteve

The other Alabama quarterback: Kenny (the Snake) Stabler, Oakland Raiders, 1976-77 Super Bowl winner.