What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boyd

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I've been reading on this forum lately some comments regarding Darius Boyd and they seem to be in the negative......seems like some folk think hes not the same player as he was since signing with Newcastle.....whats other peoples view on this or are some over reacting because of our recent results

steela

Juniors
I hate ripping into our players, I rarely do it... but he needs to get his shit together.
he didn't want to do the hard stuff yesterday

I has bummed when I learned he was going to newcastle, but I feel good about it now

Breathingfire

Juniors
Good footballer but I think he is an arrogant young man and it's shown a bit lately...

I could be wrong...

nrlnrl

First Grade
In attack he is consistently unsure when to run & when to pass. Also he's struggling with his judgement / confidence with kicks in defence.He is leaving kicks he should try to reach earlier & catching others that seem certain to go dead.

The lack of confidence is apparent through a number of players with the 2nd half jitters as the team plays to preserve a lead rather than continuing to build on it.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
I don't think it's lack of confidence.

I think now that he has his future sorted he just isn't giving his all anymore

hardbaby

Coach
In Boyd's defense both Soward and Hornby were poor against the Rabbits. Hornby's first game back from injury. Soward just had an off night. And the forwards were rolled. Boyd is one of a number of players who are down on form. It probably isn't fair to single him out.

On the flip side I am quite impressed with Moltzen's form for the Tigers. He is a smart footballer. Glad we have signed him.

macdragon

Juniors
It seems to me to be less a problem of form with him than others. He has lacked effort recently (which could never be said about Hornby) and certainly avoided returning the ball yesterday. Will be sad to see him go but will find it easy not to like him when he's playing elsewhere.

Minh

First Grade
Maybe he's just down on form, maybe just saving himself for the final tilt at another premiership ring, he's been great for us overall I'm not about to doubt one of our finest players.

to_ddeath

Coach
If he watches another ball roll to a stop in the ingoal area, then he can basically f**k off for good....

T.

Puff

First Grade
He isn't the same, those charging returns no longer exist. However, he has brought the pass to Florence and slippery into his game at least

Minh

First Grade
He may be slightly injured you never know it's a long season keep the faith in the players as it is them who will ultimately decide whether we lift the trophy up in October again or not.

to_ddeath

Coach
Being slightly injured? Perlease. He hasn't lost his ability to crab sideways at any given time. He's just playing bone-lazy & also far too arrogant ATM........

T.

hewi

Bench
Agreed, not running back hard like last year and far to much crabbing sideways leaves no forward momentum from the next play the ball and hence we struggle to get out from our danger zone.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Agreed, not running back hard like last year and far to much crabbing sideways leaves no forward momentum from the next play the ball and hence we struggle to get out from our danger zone.
Funny isnt it how we have all noticed his unwillingness to run the ball back hard like we no he can, so Bennett must see it as well....hes either told him or hes not listening :x

TheRev

First Grade
- I think the not running hard feedback is a bit unfair, he did run the ball back pretty hard a few weeks back, like I dont think he is far off the mark in attack. The defensive lapses are I dont think anything to do with Boyd (and they are whats causing us to lose games we are winning 20-0).

- However, definitely he isnt in the prime form he was pre-contract signing.

- In terms of bringing the ball out of the in-goal, again I think people are being harsh, he has made I think the right call on every occasion (on whether to pick it up or leave it), but my problem is he is doing this crabbing sideways stuff, and staying high, and letting opposition players tackle him into the in-goal, and its srsly annoying.

The Nick

Bench
I'll be glad to see the back of him to be honest. Don't get me wrong he's a world class player but he really is just a gun for hire. Personally I would rather have 17 who would literally bleed for the jersey, guys like Dean Young, Matt Cooper, Ben Hornby, Jason Nightingale etc. These guys are passionate STGI players through and through, and no one can tell me that Boyd loves and cares about the club like they do. Granted he was a Brisbane junior etc. but it seems like he was only happy to be here because Sir Wayne was.

Besides, I find it hard to respect a man who is in his 20's and still has "daddy issues". He needs to get off Sir Wayne's tit and be his own man!

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
- I think the not running hard feedback is a bit unfair, he did run the ball back pretty hard a few weeks back, like I dont think he is far off the mark in attack. The defensive lapses are I dont think anything to do with Boyd (and they are whats causing us to lose games we are winning 20-0).

- However, definitely he isnt in the prime form he was pre-contract signing.

- In terms of bringing the ball out of the in-goal, again I think people are being harsh, he has made I think the right call on every occasion (on whether to pick it up or leave it), but my problem is he is doing this crabbing sideways stuff, and staying high, and letting opposition players tackle him into the in-goal, and its srsly annoying.
Fair comment.....I guess my observation of not running the ball back was based on this crabbing sideways stuff as well, and not gaining metres in our own half.

counterpuncher

Juniors
Put it this way......

If QLD picked a team tomorrow, Matt Bowen would have his spot. Darius just isn't imposing himself on the game & seeking the pill the way he was last year picking up all the Dally M points.

I'm all for the Kirk Reynoldson face fuzz, but he's playing like him too ATM.

steela

Juniors
my main concern is his lack of urgency and effort when running the ball back, it's pretty simple... get to the ball as quick as you can and run it back as far as you can.

Boyd has been piss-farting around looking for someone to pass to instead of getting us on the front foot, and it really cost us on sunday.
I haven't seen the replay but there's a perfect example early in the 2nd hald, nightingale end up getting tackled 5 out after boyd passed it to him on the run around, then the bunnies aimed up and we end up kicking to their 40, soon after they were in position for an attacking kick which resulted in a try... I can deal with mistakes leading to a try, but lack of commitment and basically not wanting to get tackled really frustrates me.

it was a turning point, really hurt us

Minh

First Grade
I think he set such a high standard that we expect him to be a match winner week in week out, there is another 16 players out there let's not forget. Could be (form slump) anything but good players come good in big games just be patient. I think he is more professional than to just suddenly think forward to next year and Newcastle.

Latest posts