What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brayden Williame

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

George Dragon

Juniors

BLM01

First Grade

rasaint

Juniors
This guy goes pretty well and has improved over in UK in recent years. Don’t discount him as a decent challenge to Tim Lafai nd Euan AIken.

BLM01

First Grade
Only seen a bit of him at training but from what I've been told he has to work on his fitness and defence.
And that is the SL for you in respect to backs. Why so many NRL clubs look over there to find Fringe back line players stuns me when we have so many here in youth and lower grades .
Wake up recruitment officers how many SL backs make it here and there are reasons young backline players have to leave our shores to play over there. They are not good enough for this level.
But that is the Dragons way under Mary. "Opportunity Recycle Club" which is a reflection of his coaching and quest for experience although you do need at NRL level but we can't even get that right either
Our back 5 make up is a mess!....a Mary mess

possm

Coach
If Williame is Maranta's replacement, I would say his addition to our squad would have to be an improvement. However, at this stage in our squad's development what we really need is the replacement of Aitken and Lafai by two proven first grade centres on a two year deal. It was a grave mistake to extend Aitken and Lafai long term as they were not being chased by any club. Now these two players are the weak link in our 17 and a big lump of led in our saddles. Our race to the top half of the ladder is made so much more difficult with the inclusion of these two players in our 2020 squad.

getsmarty

Immortal
dsc_0856.jpg

DRAGONS

Wiliame hoping for case of second-time lucky
Author
Troy Whittaker NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 22 Jan 2020, 03:21 PM

Brayden Wiliame "didn't have a good start" in the NRL but the Dragons recruit is better prepared to make his mark the second time around.

After three seasons in the Super League, the 27-year-old has joined the club on a two-year deal and will put pressure on incumbent centres Euan Aitken and Tim Lafai.

"Because I'm a bit older now I feel like I'm in a position to push them," Wiliame said.

After playing under 20s with Melbourne, Wiliame made his Telstra Premiership debut for Parramatta in 2013 and moved to Newcastle the next year but couldn't get a go in the top grade. He then spent two seasons at Manly.

He lost his first 13 games and won just four of 29 matches in his initial NRL stint.

dsc_0671.jpg

Dragons recruit Tyrell Fuimaono. :copyright:dragons.com.au
But a switch to French club Catalans Dragons in 2017 provided a change in fortunes and the speedy outside back blossomed.

A highlight was scoring a try when Catalans created history in 2018 as the first team outside of England to win the Challenge Cup.

"Going away early in my career worked in my favour. Just to get away from the hustle and bustle of the NRL, sort of just to go and work on my game," Wiliame said.

remote.axd

Five key match-ups of the Dragons' 2020 draw

Five key match-ups of the Dragons' 2020 draw

"It was healthy. It was good, getting away from footy and not worrying about the head noise. There was no pressure really. Once I got that spot, my footy started doing the talking.

"Being over there you can be out of sight, out of mind, so as soon as an opportunity came I was always going to jump at it and my family knew that.

"I feel like I've grown a lot – I definitely have grown a lot – over the last three years and I feel like I'll be better for it once I get my chance."

Wiliame said he's been told he could force his way into the centres or "anywhere in the backline" if he trains and trials strongly.

The Central Coast product is comfortable on the wing, where he's played 16 NRL games. He has also made four Test appearances for Fiji as an edge forward.

Wiliame stands alongside hooker Issac Luke and centre/second-rower Tyrell Fuimaono as St George Illawarra's off-season gains.

Fuimaono, who arrived from Penrith in early January on a two-year contract, has struggled with injury recently, playing 11 games in the past two seasons.

The 23-year-old wants to regain the "stability" that has evaded him since his solid debut campaign with South Sydney in 2017.

remote.axd

How the Perth NRL Nines will work

How the Perth NRL Nines will work

"Hopefully the worst is over and I can put a big pre-season in now, put my best foot forward and play a consistent season," he said.

The skilful forward has mostly been training in the back row and soaking up tips from two elite players in Tyson Frizell and Tariq Sims.

"A lot of people would have seen [having Frizell and Sims ahead in the pecking order] as a negative but to be honest I saw it as a positive," he said.

"[It's good] to have two older, more experienced guys to learn from and take as much as I can on board and better myself and see where that can take me."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/01/23/wiliame-hoping-for-case-of-second-time-lucky/

Dannyboy80

Juniors
If Williame is Maranta's replacement, I would say his addition to our squad would have to be an improvement. However, at this stage in our squad's development what we really need is the replacement of Aitken and Lafai by two proven first grade centres on a two year deal. It was a grave mistake to extend Aitken and Lafai long term as they were not being chased by any club. Now these two players are the weak link in our 17 and a big lump of led in our saddles. Our race to the top half of the ladder is made so much more difficult with the inclusion of these two players in our 2020 squad.
On the bright side, I think both are off contract at the end of this season.

On the downside is that they will both probably start the season on a hot streak, earn themselves 3 year contracts before promptly transforming back into pumpkins.

possm

Coach
On the bright side, I think both are off contract at the end of this season.

On the downside is that they will both probably start the season on a hot streak, earn themselves 3 year contracts before promptly transforming back into pumpkins.
I truly hope not - regarding the extension.

The problem is that at SGI we always seem to be a few players away from having a decent team. We always seem to be placing hope in the successful transition of of our young juniors.

All of this could be avoided if first grade replacements were organised on a 'like for like or better' policy. For example in 2010 we had a backline to die for and in the following 10 years we have seen our backline rated to one of the worst in the competion; especially when it comes to the back 5.

So where did our salary cap go to:

• We spent big on our halves but as we have learned, it is no good having such expensive halves if you don't have a first grade backline.
  • We transferred a large perpotion of our cap to the forward pack, again as we have seen our pack cannot perform on full tilt all season long and without a clever speedy backline to finish off their good work.

BLM01

First Grade
I truly hope not - regarding the extension.

The problem is that at SGI we always seem to be a few players away from having a decent team. We always seem to be placing hope in the successful transition of of our young juniors.

All of this could be avoided if first grade replacements were organised on a 'like for like or better' policy. For example in 2010 we had a backline to die for and in the following 10 years we have seen our backline rated to one of the worst in the competion; especially when it comes to the back 5.

So where did our salary cap go to:

• We spent big on our halves but as we have learned, it is no good having such expensive halves if you don't have a first grade backline.
  • We transferred a large perpotion of our cap to the forward pack, again as we have seen our pack cannot perform on full tilt all season long and without a clever speedy backline to finish off their good work.
Well said Possm.... spot on. You forgot one thing you need a coach to get the Best out of the squad we certainly have not.
See the 2 marry. Decent coach decent outside 1st grade talent recruitment attraction close to market value.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I’m hearing McGregor is looking to trial Williame at fullback at some point during the charity shield..

Latest posts