What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BREAKING: Expansion announcement coming next week

smithie

Juniors
From the Brisbane Bombers Facebook page:
Breaking News: The ARL Commission have just announced that a clarification statement and direction on expansion will be formally announced next week.

No the answer will be "...we're in the process of.....".

That's their answer to everything. Basically it means "we've done f**k all about that and we don't know what we're going to do".

But yes, the crux of its is that there won't be expansion this TV deal and if that's the case you can bet there won't be for a very long time after that either because they won't be able to agree to anything until AT LEAST after the next deal is done, plus three years. So we're looking at at least 8 years. Which is embarrassing.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Here's the odds (imo):

2:1 No expansion for 5 years, we'll look at it then
5:1 No expansion in the "immediate" future but we will continue to develop opportunities
10:1 Expansion will occur in 2017 and we will decide where
20:1 Expansion will happen in 2016 and we will accept bids
50:1 Expansion will happen in 2015 and here's the two places where we will call for bids from

Where is this ARLC announcement about an announcement? Just to the bids or the media as well?

Last edited:

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
If they were going to tell the bids to wait five years then surely they could do that in person.

I don't see why they'd be having a highly publicised announcement with a week's warning if it isn't about expanding the game.

The Great Dane

First Grade
At least were hearing something, but I would not be surprised if all they are announcing is not for 5 years, but why would they warn the media a week in advance unless it was something big. Bugger I got my hopes up and that's a very bad idea.

Come on Pirates and Bears 2015.

Last edited:

Diesel

Referee
Do it. Announce expansion for 2015 & 16 and give the game to ABC for cheap, play it live on Sunday against 9's delayed coverage

The Great Dane

First Grade
Do it. Announce expansion for 2015 & 16 and give the game to ABC for cheap, play it live on Sunday against 9's delayed coverage

Give it to the ABC for free as long as they air it live into every state. Would be one hell of a slap in the face of nine, so its a great idea.

Panfas

Juniors
I think they will announce te NRL to expand in 2016 with one team, the second coming in 2017. They will announce the bidding process will begin in 2013 with the decision on both teams set for GF week next year. They will announce they are targeting Weatern Australia and Southern QLD, but are open to other bids that are welcome to apply

Just my thoughts

i just hope that the announcement is something in the right direction. I hope they do announce a team (or two) will enter the competition within the next five years.

smithie

Juniors
NRL expansion being dropped from agenda until at least 2015

EXPANSION is set to be officially removed from rugby league's discussion table until 2015 when the ARL Commission releases its strategic plan next week.

Expansion will not happen under the record $1.025bn broadcast rights deal which runs until the end of 2017, with the ARLC set to reveal the discussion will be moved off the agenda until 2015.

The strategic plan was seen as the second priority on the ARLC agenda when the eight commissioners moved into power last February and finally the game's vision for the future will be revealed at a press conference in Sydney on Monday.

Among the major issues stakeholders have been waiting to be clarified is the debate about potential expansion. Bid teams have tried to lobby their way into the NRL from Brisbane, Rockhampton, Ipswich, Perth, Wellington, Central Coast and Papua New Guinea.

A major stumbling block to expansion is how a ninth game would be broadcast on free-to-air television under current anti-siphoning legislation when the Nine Network is not interested in showing a fourth game each week.

Nine Network boss David Gyngell was dismissive of expansion at the broadcast rights announcement in August, but bid teams have pressed ahead hoping for clear direction from the ARLC.

Brisbane Bombers chairman Craig Davison knows expansion may not occur in the next five years, but like the rest of the optimistic franchises working towards inclusion he hopes the ARLC deliver a clear and concise direction about what regions they're most interested in exploring in the future.

"I look forward to the clarification from the ARL Commission," Davison said.

"The reality is Brisbane does need a second team. I know we won't be the only bidding team out there but from the Brisbane Bombers point of view we've made a good start.

"We cannot have a city this size and only one team."

All 16 NRL club chief executives have received briefings about the strategic plan, but the full details remain a closely guarded secret continuing the strong corporate governance that has developed under rugby league's new structure.

Broncos chief executive Paul White said he was excited to see what the ARLC has planned for the coming years and how the game will unite behind one clear direction.

"It's vitally important that our game comes up with the right strategy to drive the performance of the game as a whole," White said.

"A lot has been spoken about the need to align all areas of our great game and all the stakeholders and that is where the strategy document can provide a really good reference point for the way we utilise the resources, the way we allocate funding and the way we drive performance as well.

"It is a great opportunity for our game and I know everyone will take it with both hands."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...il-at-least-2015/story-e6frexnr-1226503386629