What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brent Webb to wear the White V?!

Anonymous

Juniors
Were do you think Sonny Bill Williams was playing before he signed for the Bulldogs?

There goes my point

LMAO

Where do you guys reckon Robbie Paul will play, if Webb is a goer for fullback?? Paul will be in the team right?! The good oil also seems to be on Ropati, will Paul be at hooker???

carlnz

Bench
1. Paul
2. Lesley Vainikolo
3. Vagana
4. Toopi
5. Meli
6. Hoahia
7. Jones
8. Paul Rauhihi
9. ---------------------------??? Latu? Betham? Ropati? Leuluai? Tony?
10. J Cayless
11. Wiki
12. Pulteua
13. Faumina

14. Galuvao
15. Williams
16. Lauititii
17. Palea'aesina

Anonymous

Juniors
Hohaia :?

Other than that I love the team, Paul at fullback sounds great, and while it's not gonna happen, I like the idea of Sione starting at 13. Galuvao is overrated.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
The likes of Ropati, Leuluai & Hohaia shouldn't be any where near a Kiwis jersey. They go missing in action for the Warriors so why the hell would you give them a Kiwis jersey.

I don't know how many times Freeman said in the last Warriors match that Ropati had to step up and take some the pressure from Jones. He was just a no show.

LeagueNut

First Grade
I'm sorry, but this is absolutely ridiculous.

WEBB IS NOT A KIWI - HE IS A QUEENSLANDER AND AN AUSTRALIAN!!

This fuc*ing stupid international eligibility rule needs to be tossed in front of the nearest train. It's complete madness as it stands at the moment. Webb should NEVER EVER have been given the choice ... and regardless of that, he should NEVER EVER have even entertained the idea of changing his heritage within the blink of an eye.

Brent Webb has played for the Emerging Queensland team ... he has often stated his desire to play for the Maroons, and obviously he would have had desires to pull on the Green & Gold. Forget about his form for a second - he's obviously nowhere close to those goals - but let's just think about this ...

"Well, I always wanted to play for the Maroons ... but there's a lot of good talent there at the moment ... Lockyer, Wesser, Bowen, Schifcofske ... so I'll just completely give up on that goal and take the much easier option ... I've already done enough for Kiwi selection ... so that'll do, I'll just stay at this level and take the Black jersey ... never mind about pushing myself harder to get to Origin level ... can't be stuffed really"

Sorry Webby - hell, when you're switched on you can be downright sensational, and you've been one of our best this year - but STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM THE KIWIS TEAM!!!!! :evil:

dazza

Staff member
LeagueNut said:
I'm sorry, but this is absolutely ridiculous.

WEBB IS NOT A KIWI - HE IS A QUEENSLANDER AND AN AUSTRALIAN!!

This fuc*ing stupid international eligibility rule needs to be tossed in front of the nearest train. It's complete madness as it stands at the moment. Webb should NEVER EVER have been given the choice ... and regardless of that, he should NEVER EVER have even entertained the idea of changing his heritage within the blink of an eye.

Brent Webb has played for the Emerging Queensland team ... he has often stated his desire to play for the Maroons, and obviously he would have had desires to pull on the Green & Gold. Forget about his form for a second - he's obviously nowhere close to those goals - but let's just think about this ...

"Well, I always wanted to play for the Maroons ... but there's a lot of good talent there at the moment ... Lockyer, Wesser, Bowen, Schifcofske ... so I'll just completely give up on that goal and take the much easier option ... I've already done enough for Kiwi selection ... so that'll do, I'll just stay at this level and take the Black jersey ... never mind about pushing myself harder to get to Origin level ... can't be stuffed really"

Sorry Webby - hell, when you're switched on you can be downright sensational, and you've been one of our best this year - but STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM THE KIWIS TEAM!!!!! :evil:

couldn`t agree more.

cheers dazza

LeagueNut

First Grade
NZ Warrior said:
What about Tonie Carroll???

At least he was born in New Zealand, wasn't he? I still think it's pretty damn ridiculous that he was able to chop and change as well, but there were even more stupid 'dispensation' laws for the 2000 World Cup. This is how guys like Luke Ricketson & Kevin Campion were able to play for Ireland, but then head back and play for NSW/Qld/Australia.

I will guarantee you 200% that when Webb came over to NZ all those moons ago he had never even remotely considered the possibility of playing for the Kiwis one day. But now that he qualifies under some brain-dead rule that we should NEVER have to take advantage of, he magically becomes a Kiwi.

Sure, we get all rarked up when guys 'choose' Australia over NZ ... but it could be argued they have equal 'claim' to either option through their parents, birthplace, etc.

But this is not the issue in Webb's case. He has absolutely no Kiwi blood in him whatsoever. It would be like the Australian national team deciding they wanted guys like Wiki, Puletua, Vagana, Kearney, Galuvao ... and if they made the switch, what would we think of these guys then?? Why should it be any different for Webb?

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Hey man, I agree with you. I just think we are in a desperate situation and desperate times call for desperate measures.

I will cut Brent Webb a break though. If his heart is in it and if he makes a real go of it, then I'll support him just like I support the other 16 guys on the field with a black jersey on. He pays his NZ taxes, he's been one of the more spirited performers in the Warriors side, why not give him a go.

And at the end of the day, if he's the best performing fullback we've got, then why shouldn't he be selected???

Don't say "because he's not a Kiwi", we've been over that and I said I agreed with your logic and your opinion.

LeagueNut

First Grade
Sorry, but the only thing I can say is "because he's not a Kiwi" ... that's pretty much the only reason.

There is one other thing though ... through guys like Campion & Marsh (and others), the Warriors were able to obtain insights into different strategies of highly successful teams. As Grand Finalists for their previous clubs and Queensland Origin representatives they brought a wealth of knowledge to the club and could bring in different ideas after spending a few weeks in different squads during the rep season.

That was a role I was really hoping Brent Webb could fill for us one day.

Look, in all honesty, if Webb wears the black jersey and absolutely carves the opposition up I will probably join the call to make him Prime Minister. But the fact remains that he has only qualified due to an utterly insane loophole that countries like N.Z & Australia should never need to take advantage of.

Iafeta

Referee
:D I love this thread. I think it should be stickied and now we should all post our love lullabies for Brinty Wibby after his fab test debut in it as well :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LeagueNut

First Grade
Iafeta said:
we should all post our love lullabies for Brinty Wibby after his fab test debut in it as well
You probably weren't serious ... but that's never stopped me before!

(To the tune of God Defend New Zealand)

Now Brent Webb has joined our team
He's a Kiwi ... it would seem
He's a fullback on the pitch
And he's the best since Matthew Ridge

His goalkicking can be quite strong
But he takes too bloody long
He looks like he is having fun
Onya Brent - you're number one!

:mrgreen:

Skinner

Coach
LeagueNut said:
Iafeta said:
we should all post our love lullabies for Brinty Wibby after his fab test debut in it as well
You probably weren't serious ... but that's never stopped me before!

(To the tune of God Defend New Zealand)

Now Brent Webb has joined our team
He's a Kiwi ... it would seem
He's a fullback on the pitch
And he's the best since Matthew Ridge

His goalkicking can be quite strong
But he takes too bloody long
He looks like he is having fun
Onya Brent - you're number one!

:mrgreen:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Well done League Nut