What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brent Webb

Blaze

Juniors
He has been the player of the tri nations so far IMO. Amazing considering how poor he has been for the Warriors the last couple of seasons.

It makes me wonder, if he had stayed loyal to AUS he would have got no way near representative honours yet he has proven he is more than capable of stepping up to that next level.

Any other players people can think of that don't go so well at club level but would play pretty well if given the opportunity at the next level up?

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Totally agree. The only thing I have against Webby is that his kick returns are still not flash. When confronted by a wall of defenders he does not really have the speed or strength to make inroads. However, he is an extremely clever attacking player with an eye for a gap, acceleration, and a good passing game. He wouldn't have made reps for Australia or Queensland because there are so many good fullbacks around, but imo he would deserve to be in contention. He plays the Matt Bowen role of fullback/stand-off brilliantly.

LeagueNut

First Grade
Harsh call on his Warriors form, he's been consistently one of their best even in the "dark times".

Today just showed what he can do when he's got a forward pack creating time and space, his support play was phenominal.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Exactly LN. He was one of the Warriors' best in 2004, and on return from injury this year was excellent. Overall he has been consistently good since mid-2003.

Yeah, I think that Webb actually had one of his better years for the Warriors this year. He was playing a bit more like a fullback this year, when last year he spent a lot of time up in the line at stand-off on attack. It would be nice if he improved his defense a little, since you don't see him make many last gasp try save tackles like a Cleary or a Ridge, but it's nice to actually have a fullback in the Kiwi's for the first time in a few years. :)

supersaint

Juniors
Yep I agree with this, Brent has impressed me in every game so far. The Lad is fantastic in attack with his link up play and returning of the ball and also doesn't seem to put a foot wrong in defense.

Quality player!!!

aussies1st

Staff member
He wouldn't have made the Aussie side cause not even Hodgson could get in on his form.
But he has been awesome for the kiwis.

Iafeta

Referee
Yeah well, he's always voted near enough to worst NRL fullback by you lot - when watching the Warriors game he's much the same, good in support, when he's positioned himself well he generally makes a good attempt and quite often makes a desperation tackle, and rarely drops a high ball.

He's a good player, very roughly dealt with usually on these forums.

Mal Meninga

Bench
He definately looks alot like Lockeyer when linking up, but it doesn't surprise me considering Vagana is not a real 5/8. I'd love to see a few others get a shot to perform at that 5/8 role, because I know someone who could really shine and give Webb even more space.