What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brett Finch Blasts Shane Richardson

GloryGlory

Juniors
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/7d524e64f04999c3bdaa54844e83f865

So Brett Finch used his dubiously earned place in the media (that comes courtesy of his ability to get smashed with people that have a clue rather than his ability to have anything to actually contribute) to criticise Richo and stand up for his mates at the Storm.

What Finch and the rest of the media are missing is that he is actually making Richo's point. Finch is calling it hypocrisy for Souths to call out bad behavious from Melbourne but then have players on the side line as a result of foul play but this is exactly what Richo was saying. Every team employs tactics from time to time that are contrary to the rules and most of them are called out for it and fined or suspended for their efforts yet the Storm push the boundaties more than most and see no time on the side line as a result

Richo specifically called out Nelson Arse-of-a-solo-miner for a crusher (which most players are cited for) and Tui Kamikamica for an elbow to the throat not too dis-similar to the one Sam Burgess was suspended for on Brett Morris last year. His point is that other teams are penalised/fined/suspended for doing the same or even less that what the Storm get away with and Mr Finch.... your criticism is evidence of the same not evidence of hypocrisy

callmack1

Staff member
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/7d524e64f04999c3bdaa54844e83f865

So Brett Finch used his dubiously earned place in the media (that comes courtesy of his ability to get smashed with people that have a clue rather than his ability to have anything to actually contribute) to criticise Richo and stand up for his mates at the Storm.

What Finch and the rest of the media are missing is that he is actually making Richo's point. Finch is calling it hypocrisy for Souths to call out bad behavious from Melbourne but then have players on the side line as a result of foul play but this is exactly what Richo was saying. Every team employs tactics from time to time that are contrary to the rules and most of them are called out for it and fined or suspended for their efforts yet the Storm push the boundaties more than most and see no time on the side line as a result

Richo specifically called out Nelson Arse-of-a-solo-miner for a crusher (which most players are cited for) and Tui Kamikamica for an elbow to the throat not too dis-similar to the one Sam Burgess was suspended for on Brett Morris last year. His point is that other teams are penalised/fined/suspended for doing the same or even less that what the Storm get away with and Mr Finch.... your criticism is evidence of the same not evidence of hypocrisy
Well said, couldn't agree more!

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Exactly the same as Rothfield’s article about Souths being the grubbiest team. The evidence they’re using is that Souths have the largest charges compared to other teams. Is that really evidence of Souths being a grubby team or evidence that the Match Review Committee is run by the toss a coin?

Roberts was reckless not intentional. The storm tactics are and always have been intentional.

The hate is great though we’re clearing Manly for the most hated team in the comp.

Travitoh

First Grade
Exactly the same as Rothfield’s article about Souths being the grubbiest team. The evidence they’re using is that Souths have the largest charges compared to other teams. Is that really evidence of Souths being a grubby team or evidence that the Match Review Committee is run by the toss a coin?

Roberts was reckless not intentional. The storm tactics are and always have been intentional.

The hate is great though we’re clearing Manly for the most hated team in the comp.

How is a second motion action of an elbow/forearm to the head of a grounded opponent not intentional?

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
How is a second motion action of an elbow/forearm to the head of a grounded opponent not intentional?

Yes let’s have this discussion.

Because even from rewatching the clip you can see his just pumped about making the try saving tackle. It’s kind of like when a player makes a tackle and then will go in again. Yes it’s reckless but they’re not intentionally trying to injure the person. It’s more like a “get that into you” in the rush of the moment thing I’ve certainly experienced it and I would be surprised if you haven’t as a player.

The only reason people are making a big deal out of it is that Souths have now made themselves a target with the media calling out the storm tactics.

How can you seriously prove he had the intention to go out of his way to give Oates a concussion or to intentionally hurt Oates? I personally believe he wasn’t trying to give him a concussion. No player would do that to another player unless there was ill will between them. Therefore reckless over intentional.

Last edited:

Travitoh

First Grade
Yes let’s have this discussion.

Because even from rewatching the clip you can see his just pumped about making the try saving tackle. It’s kind of like when a player makes a tackle and then will go in again. Yes it’s reckless but they’re not intentionally trying to injure the person. It’s more like a “get that into you” in the rush of the moment thing I’ve certainly experienced it and I would be surprised if you haven’t as a player.

The only reason people are making a big deal out of it is that Souths have now made themselves a target with the media calling out the storm tactics.

How can you seriously prove he had the intention to go out of his way to give Oates a concussion or to work intentionally hurt Oates? I personally believe he wasn’t trying to give him a concussion. No one player would do that to another player unless there was ill will between them. Therefore reckless over intentional.

Know what, i do agree that the consequence wasn't intentional and a lot of what you have said makes sense. I like that you're able to look at it from a player's perspective.
The contact he made to Corey Oates however was intentional. I was more of a 'rub the blokes face in the grass/mud' kinda guy when i made a big tackle but never dropped an elbow into anyones head.
I view it as being closer to a punch than an aggresive tackle gone wrong. If it was done to me, i not accepting any apologies after the match.
Concussion or no concussion to Corey Oates, Roberts knew what he was doing when he made contact to the head.

BTW, welcome back! I've not seen you post for a while.

Last edited:

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Know what, i do agree that the consequence wasn't intentional and a lot of what you have said makes sense. I like that you're able to look at it from a player's perspective.
The contact he made to Corey Oates however was intentional. I was more of a 'rub the blokes face in the grass/mud' kinda guy when i made a big tackle but never dropped an elbow into anyones head.
I view it as being closer to a punch than an aggresive tackle gone wrong. If it was done to me, i not accepting any apologies after the match.
Concussion or no concussion to Corey Oates, Roberts knew what he was doing when he made contact to the head.

BTW, welcome back! I've not seen you post for a while.

Thanks for the welcome back. I’ve just been full out with work and life it’s been hard to post.

I think it’s been exaggerated how bad the effect of it was as well. Oates would have most likely been dazed from the original tackle as his head hit the ground pretty hard in that instance. His head then lifted a couple of centimetres of the ground and Roberts made contact with the back of his head knocking it back into the ground. However you would never be able to tell as Roberts has done it straight after completing the tackle. I find it hard to believe that the elbow did the damage because of the distance his elbow went it would of been very difficult to cause damage closed fist punching from that far.

Anyway I’m done ranting about something that’s already been charged. I think it’s great that the NRL are willing to be harsher on penalties for dirty plays but i just hope it’s consistent because we never seem to get away with much whereas certain teams do get away with heaps. Which I think is what the heavily criticised Richardson was trying to convey.

You know what I think is 100 times worse though? Crusher tackles that go unpunished. They have the potential to cause serious injury yet they seem to go unpunished most of the time.

John Bogangar

Juniors

All the teams wrestle. All of them bend the rules. The administration are the ones who allow it to ruin/change the game. Wayne Bennett teams generally don’t wrestle as much as others but they all do it. Melbourne work hard at everything, including wrestling, but they are no different to any other side in that they incorporate it into what they do. Probs they do it better than everyone else.

Peter Quinn

Juniors

Finchy, you've certainly promoted yourself from the back of the line to the front row to get your voice heard. I suppose now you might run for PM? But I hardly think coming out in public arena and bad mouthing league heavy weights is the way to go.

Peter Quinn

Juniors

The Storm should be sponsored by chicken wings.