What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brett Finch's reason for leaving Canberra???

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
I know he said that he wanted to be at a "good" club but there is more to it than that.

Now I'm not suggesting that it was anyone on this forum giving him the abuse, all I want to know is roughly how many people were giving him sh|t and why they were. It wasn't to do with the game that was tied when he gave away the penalty kick 20 out and in front of the sticks was it?[/list][/list]

legend

Coach
Haha. I made the papers after bagging Finch for his f**k up against the Knights in 2001.

It said on a chat forum a livid fan was into Brett Finch barely a minute after the siren went and used some expletives that they couldn't print. I hope I was part of the reason for the bucked tooth bastard packing his bags. :twisted:

RaidersMalt

Juniors
Me and a few mates also made "big league" after that game, as we had a pick the score that was 20 all! We saw Davico at an after match function and showed the ticket to him. He cracked up laughing and showed all the boys. They went and told Finch that a group of disgruntled supporters were out to get him, becuase he cost us money! He was sh*t scared apparently and tried to avoid us. We found him and he was very apologetic, he autographed the ticket and bought us beers.

I didn't hate him for that game, but he was inconsitant all year and lost us more games than he won.

I did boo in that game he was given man of the match in, but as has been mentioned 1000 times here it was at the decision not directly at him. What a media beat up, "Fickle fans Boo Finch" was in the Canberra Times. I'll tell you the 8000 fans who turned up had every right to boo, as they were the only ones who showed loyalty by paying to see a struggling club who was coming 3rd last.

The fickle fans were the 12,000 odd who dissapeared somewhere between 1994 and 2001.

Either way I was glad to see the back of Finch :evil:

Raider Azz

Bench
I'll tell you the 8000 fans who turned up had every right to boo, as they were the only ones who showed loyalty by paying to see a struggling club who was coming 3rd last.

The fickle fans were the 12,000 odd who dissapeared somewhere between 1994 and 2001.
Here here! I am proud to say I was one of those 8000 and I was also one of the 8000 who booed at the fact Shifcofske was not awarded man of the match.

The whole booing Finch thing was such a media beat-up, they'll do anything for a story.

Prodigiousman

Juniors
Fair dinkum...

You don't have to like Finch, but I can understand why he left.

He had ambitions, with the Canberra team he left - it was going to be 5+ years until he even came into rep calculations, he moves to the Roosters a team that just won the comp, gets to play with Fittler and under Stuart - and plays his first Origin game within 2 seasons.

If Monaghan goes it'll be for the same reason, as a Canberra fan sure it sucks but we won't help them change their mind or leave a 'good memory' of that players time in Canberra in our heads. Personally the loss of Finch pales in comparision to the Stuart/Clyde rejection at the end of 98, that was worth a lynching - Finch leaving was not.

legend

Coach
We flicked Clyde and Stuart, and both wanted to stay, especially Clyde. Clyde even asked for a job with the club after he retired and again we knocked him back. Unfrotunately, the club has a reputation of treating players quite poorly at times, especially the higher profile ones.

1998 was a tragic season even though we finished sixth in the regular season. We lost too many games by close margins and any team with Daley, Stuart, Clyde, Croker, Kennedy, Woolford, Priddis, Davico, Nagas, McLinden, Wiki and Mullins should have gone close to winning the comp IMO.

Raider_69

Post Whore
i liked him but now i hate him because he signed the contract for the roosters pretty much at 12:01 am July 1, which suggests to me anti tampering laws were broken and he had never intended on stay with our club

but the chooks offered him a dental plan, with those teeth, how could me match that! :lol:

greeneyed

First Grade
We disliked Finch because he was a sniveling little traitor after the club treated him royally. We ditched local juniors for him, developed him and left him in the top team, even though he made many costly errors, he claims... no the Raiders are still a real option when 30 June is looming, and then he signs for the Roosters two minutes after 30 June and after Phil Gould promises him a NSW jersey on national television if he goes to the Roosters. That is why we don't like him.

Joel Monaghan is a totally different situation. It seems to me he really wants to stay, but is having to weigh up his options. It is up to the club to go all out to retain him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!