What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brett White signed for 3 years

Dragons1990

Juniors
Melbourne's focus on keeping star quartet means Brett White set to leave
By Brent Read
July 15, 2010
Melbourne prop Brett White is set to join Canberra next season in a move which increases the Storm's hopes of retaining Greg Inglis, Cooper Cronk, Billy Slater and Cameron Smith.

White was among the players to receive permission to explore their options on the open market and it's understood he will link with the Raiders provided he can negotiate a satisfactory release from Melbourne.

Latest reports suggest the Storm is $1.3 million over the salary cap for next season, but the club is desperate to hold on to its four biggest stars. To do that, the club is willing to allow the likes of White and Ryan Hoffman - on his way to Wigan - to leave.

White has attracted interest from North Queensland and the Warriors, but Canberra appears his most likely destination should he extricate himself from the Storm. The NSW and Australia forward hails from Cooma, about 114km south of the nation's capital.

Canberra officials declined to comment, while White's manager Steve Gillis said his client's first preference was to remain in Melbourne.

That appears unlikely given the size of the club's salary cap breaches and its desire to retain its quartet of superstars.

"He hasn't done a deal yet," Gillis said.

"When I spoke to him the other day he wanted to stay. We have to see how it falls over the next few days."

While White is one of the club's highest-profile players, the Storm has younger and cheaper front-row options in Adam Blair and Jesse Bromwich.

It is understood Blair and backrower Kevin Proctor, along with Smith, are the club's priority retentions in the forwards.

The club already has a host of young stars emerging in its backline headed by fullback Gareth Widdop, and wingers Justin O'Neill and Matt Duffie. From the Storm's existing backline, Anthony Quinn and Brett Finch are expected to leave.

The club's cause could yet be helped by further changes to the salary cap. The NRL has already foreshadowed an increase in the salary cap next season by $100,000 to $4.2m and a lift in the marquee player allowance from $150,000 to $300,000.

However, further changes could be in the wind with salary cap auditor Ian Schubert to make further recommendations to the salary cap committee this week.

The Rugby League Players Association is also set to push for more increases, with suggestions they could ask for a $500,000 increase in the cap over the next two years.

That would ease the burden on the Storm, although the club would still need to shed players. Several clubs are waiting in the wings, including North Queensland.

The Cowboys are fighting a losing battle to hold on to Luke O'Donnell, who is likely to accept a big-money offer from Huddersfield.

The Cowboys, yet to decide whether they will re-sign Willie Mason, were linked with White but it appears they will now turn their attentions to one of Melbourne's other forwards - most likely*New Zealand*international Sika Manu.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,27409390-5018866,00.html

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
lets be realistic, logan is basically on his last legs. Thompson isnt the most consistant. Tilse to the bench and White with Shillo, thats basically a rep front row pairing.

Paullyboy

Coach
I don't have any interest in Brett White, but then again when we signed Shillington I thought very little of it at the time as well.

I'd much rather we just focused our money on signing up our young stars.

Timbo

Staff member
It's a huge signing. We lose Logan and Thompson isn't Mr. Consistant.

White and Shillington up front would be unbelievable.

Throw in Kimmorley and Ferguson and start printing the 'Raiders 2011 Premiers' T-Shirts.

dubby

Bench

Throw in Kimmorley and Ferguson and start printing the 'Raiders 2011 Premiers' T-Shirts.

No mad on Ferguson, Kimmorley has been out of form this year but I agree he would add alot to our side.

The Premiers T-shirts is a bit of a stretch mate! :D

Timbo

Staff member
For a moment, consider:

1-J.Dugan
2-B.Ferguson
3-J.Monaghan
4-J.Croker
5-D.Vidot
6-T.Campese (c)
7-B.Kimmorley
8-B.White
9-G.Buttriss
10-D.Shillington
11-J.Thompson
12-B.Harrison
13-S.Fensom

14-A.Tongue
15-T.Learoyd-Lahrs
16-D.Tilse/T.Thurling
17-S.Williams

Tell me you don't think that's the strongest Raiders side in ten years!

Fast Eddie

First Grade

:lol:

schnitzel

Juniors
What a waste of money. White is a plodding prop who doesn't bend the line, and his rep status means he will cost us $300 K +. Plus he's not likely to play anywhere near his best away from Bellamy. We have Tilse, Shillo, TLL, even Thurlo and Miller can play front row so we are well covered, better off buying an up and comer like Josh McGuire and put the $$$ towards half/hooker :?

d-a-z-z-a

Juniors
For a moment, consider:

1-J.Dugan
2-B.Ferguson
3-J.Monaghan
4-J.Croker
5-D.Vidot
6-T.Campese (c)
7-B.Kimmorley
8-B.White
9-G.Buttriss
10-D.Shillington
11-J.Thompson
12-B.Harrison
13-S.Fensom

14-A.Tongue
15-T.Learoyd-Lahrs
16-D.Tilse/T.Thurling
17-S.Williams

PURE gun team!!!!! i would be happy to settle with that team for the next 10 years... (assuming kimmorrley and tongue could last that long:p ).. how do u rekon Furner would go with that tallent... u rekon he coudl make the 8:p:p

aussies1st

Staff member
Never really rated him but as long as we haven't thrown the bank at him, then I can live with it.

Timbo

Staff member
I don't get why so many people are so negative about this.

We're losing Logan who is our second best prop. Thompson is on old legs and whilst playing better now, is nowhere near as good as White nor will he ever be.

White is a 3 test/6 origin veteran with over 100 first grade games. He would create a fearsome front row trio with Shillington and Tilse.

T

Paullyboy

Coach
For a moment, consider:

1-J.Dugan
2-B.Ferguson
3-J.Monaghan
4-J.Croker
5-D.Vidot
6-T.Campese (c)
7-B.Kimmorley
8-B.White
9-G.Buttriss
10-D.Shillington
11-J.Thompson
12-B.Harrison
13-S.Fensom

14-A.Tongue
15-T.Learoyd-Lahrs
16-D.Tilse/T.Thurling
17-S.Williams

Tell me you don't think that's the strongest Raiders side in ten years!

Why are people so desperate to get Joel Thompson back in the forwards. I think he's been a revelation in the centres and he should remain there. I'd put him in the centres, Monaghan on the wing, and Vidot/Ferguson can fight out the other wing.

(That is of course if we lived in mythical world and all those players were on our books)