What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brian Carney is so fit

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
I've not turned gay, the lad is just a star.

You lot may not have seen it but the lad spent the half time break sprinting accross the pitch so that his tendons didn't cease up. Yet he still had the energy to play that well.

SUPERSTAR!!!!

Azkatro

First Grade
Speaking of Brian Carney ...

Darren Lockyer said:
Pick of the Poms
By Australian captain Darren Lockyer
November 14, 2004

ONE of the most common questions from back home whenever we tour Great Britain is which players from over here could emulate what Adrian Morley has done in the NRL.

In my opinion there are five players - not all Test players - who would be runaway successes.

At the top of my list, and this may surprise some people, is a winger.

I am really impressed with Gaelic Football convert Brian Carney.

He has good speed, is a strong runner, is good under the high ball and is mistake-free - everything you want from your winger.

Carney displayed some of those attributes against us at Manchester a couple of weeks ago when he burst out of dummy-half and beat Anthony Minichiello to the corner.

Speaking of "Mini", I reckon Carney is a lot like him as he always bumps off one or two defenders when he brings the ball back.

The second bloke I'd take to the NRL would be someone who has missed the Tri-Nations because of injury, hooker Keiron Cunningham. He is a Steve Walters-type player in that he runs like a prop but has a great passing game.

I have no doubt Great Britain would be an even tougher prospect if Cunningham was fit and in their side.

I guess the only question mark over him is his bad run with injury.

I actually haven't played against him for a while, not since we towelled them in Sydney a couple of years ago.

He played less than half a game on that occasion because of injury, but was dangerous while he was out there.

Paul Sculthorpe is always one of the first chosen in the Great Britain team and he'd be another to make a go of the NRL.

Even though Sculthorpe has played a fair bit of five-eighth, I reckon he's more suited to lock.

He's a strong runner in the mould of Brad Clyde and is relatively quiet out on the field.

He just goes about his business.

Stuart Fielden's name comes up quite a bit as a possible target for NRL clubs and with good reason. He'd be a great buy.

I remember when we came over here a couple of years ago he came out of the blue and had a really good series.

I wasn't sure whether he could keep going, but with a couple of years under his belt playing for Great Britain he always gets the job done.

He carts the ball forward and gains plenty of metres. Very rarely do you see him driven backwards.

British captain Andy Farrell would also make it, but because of his age NRL clubs would have to move pretty soon.

He has done well for them for a long time and is always willing to take the ball up. He has been playing prop over here, but I believe he's more a backrower.

He's a real workhorse.

Two players on the fringe of my top five are their halves Sean Long and Danny McGuire.

Long is a dangerous runner, very light on his feet, but might sometimes be guilty of overdoing it. He probably needs to pass the ball more.

McGuire looks the goods, but it's too early in his career to say how far he can go.

Regardless of the result of our overnight match against the Lions at Wigan, I believe every member of their Test team could find an NRL club and do quite well.

They are fitter than ever and their physiques are a lot leaner.

They obviously pay a lot more attention to their training than they used to, because in the past there were two or three in the forwards who were probably a little bit overweight and one or two in the backs.

But from the five I have chosen, Carney would be the one who would stand out the most.

The Sunday Telegraph

Big Mick

Referee
I was estatic when they mentioned him coming to penrith in 2003. Tonoavail it did not occur.

i'd love him to be in the NRL though.

Tupac Shakur

First Grade
Carney always helps out after the Aussies kick deep into the GB territory and gets them out of there. He is fast and always makes good metres. I could see him in the NRL along with Fielden, Newton and maybe McGuire but i haven't seen much of him.

gaterooze

Bench
His pure effort is his best attribute -- he gets in and does the hard slog up the middle quite a lot. Always chasing, always in the right spot in defence, fearless under the high ball. All-around class.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
If there was a World 13, he a certain to be in that side. He's an awesome player and is Irish, i wish there were of these. :D

Special K

Coach
Souths or the sharks would be the only ones who would land him. Souths because Richo has been trying to get him for years and the sharks due to raper(carney came out and watched a few sharks games while he was staying with johnsy this year).

He re-signed with wigan last season but didn't he? I would love for him to get out of there and have a crack at it with the sharks :D

Anonymous

Juniors
I had a good chat with him after one of those Sharks games he was at. A genuine good bloke and he's certainly keen to have a crack at the NRL. Said that his current contract with Wigan will probably see him too old to ever have a real go though.

Kris_man

Bench
Carney ain't that special - he's just a fast, strong winger. we have tons of 'em in the NRL, including Luke Rooney

Kris_man

Bench
man of the match was Craig Wing IMO, by a long shot. or Mark O'Meley. then again, i only saw the second half.

dimitri

First Grade
Kris_man said:
Carney ain't that special - he's just a fast, strong winger. we have tons of 'em in the NRL, including Luke Rooney

luke rooney doesnt do anywhere near the amount of work that carney does

he gets involved in everything

Kris_man

Bench
i;ll tell you who always impresses me for Great Britain - Andy Farrell :clap:. Sean Long is rubbish, has a terrible kicking game, and probably wouldn't even make first grade in the NRL. Senior, Carney, Paul Sculthorpe Farrell and possibly Maguire and Fielden would be the ones who make it in the NRL, i reckon. someone said Terry Newton - not from what i've seen.

dimitri

First Grade
Kris_man said:
i;ll tell you who always impresses me for Great Britain - Andy Farrell :clap:. Sean Long is rubbish, has a terrible kicking game, and probably wouldn't even make first grade in the NRL. Senior, Carney, Paul Sculthorpe Farrell and possibly Maguire and Fielden would be the ones who make it in the NRL, i reckon. someone said Terry Newton - not from what i've seen.

sean long doesnt have a good kicking game

but in other areas of play he is great

he shouldnt be kicking

farrell or sculthorpe should be kicking if long cant get the metres

ali

Bench
I thought O'Loughlin looked good when he came on, and produced 2 fairly good kicks. His kicking game for Wigan has impressed me. Hopefully he'll get more game time in the next 2 games, and get to do more kicking.