What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brian Carney Leaves Gold Coast Titans

Charlie124

First Grade
Redback71 said:
why did he bother to come to australia for

my guess is that its one of two reasons

1. He had made up his mind back in England that this was what he was going to do, he came to tell the Titans face to face of his intentions - the honourable thing to do.

2. He hadnt made up his mind yet but was thinking it in the back of his mind, something tipped him in the direction he went, possibly the reality of spending another 2 years away from home.

Mr Saab

Referee
Fine, now get back on topic...and answer the question about believing in 1986 that in 2006 Brisb and Melb would play in a Gf.
Would you have thought that?????????

Redback71

First Grade
my guess is that its one of two reasons

1. He had made up his mind back in England that this was what he was going to do, he came to tell the Titans face to face of his intentions - the honourable thing to do.

2. He hadnt made up his mind yet but was thinking it in the back of his mind, something tipped him in the direction he went, possibly the reality of spending another 2 years away from home.

id say the latter

its a shame though i was so looking forward to seeing him go round up here.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Mr Saab said:
Fine, now get back on topic...and answer the question about believing in 1986 that in 2006 Brisb and Melb would play in a Gf.
Would you have thought that?????????

i really couldnt say with any degree of certainty

what would you have said in 86?

btw, this is not the topic either

Mr Saab

Referee
True, but this is where the topic swung to...and it is league related, not "pub" related.

So you couldnt say with any degree of certainty? Thats fine...so then you could say the same thing about the Storms crowds over the next 5-6 yrs.

super_coach

First Grade
The guys not your average run of the mill footy player.He is going back home to complete a law degree. At 30yrs of age you have to start looking at a life beyond football,especially if you have the grey matter to achieve those things.
Iam sure if he was still a knight,he would have tuffed out another season.But tostart from scratch was a big call.Okay he should not have put pen to paper,but that was over a year ago.Anyway for a new team that wasnt allways open with their recruitment drive,iam not that sorry.
I will even go one step further and say the NRL got it all wrong,and the central coast deserved the franchies,but that has nothing to do with Carney pulling the pin. He wasnt the best winger I have ever seen,but he gave you value everytime he ran out on the field.If his skill level was up their with his ticker he would have been a ledgen

El Diablo

Post Whore
Mr Saab said:
True, but this is where the topic swung to...and it is league related, not "pub" related.

So you couldnt say with any degree of certainty? Thats fine...so then you could say the same thing about the Storms crowds over the next 5-6 yrs.

going off the last ten years id say they wont average 15k. especially if they have 2 or 3 bad years in a row.

lotti

Bench
he's not the only footy player to have a life outside of the game the Chief was a cop, Tooves was I think an accountant, Gould was a lawyer. I just hope a team on the Gold Coast succeeds this time.

Mr Saab

Referee
El Diablo said:
going off the last ten years id say they wont average 15k. especially if they have 2 or 3 bad years in a row.

Yes, on field performance obviously correlates to crowd figures..i mean look at souths.
80k marched and only 5-10k turned up from 2003 onwards (on avg) because of their pathetic performances.
Storm have a very good team and i dont think they will be a bottom 5 team over those yrs....their "window" is open for success.
We shall see who is right in 5-6 yrs with the new stadium which is "league friendly" compared to the cemetary that is Olympic Park.

Mr Saab

Referee
lotti said:
he's not the only footy player to have a life outside of the game the Chief was a cop, Tooves was I think an accountant, Gould was a lawyer. I just hope a team on the Gold Coast succeeds this time.

WHAT are you smoking?
Gould was NEVER a lawyer.
He studied law for 2 yrs and dropped out.
Paul Harragon a cop? I doubt that highly...
Toovey is an accountant..i guess 1/3 aint bad.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Mr Saab said:
Yes, on field performance obviously correlates to crowd figures..i mean look at souths.
80k marched and only 5-10k turned up from 2003 onwards (on avg) because of their pathetic performances.
Storm have a very good team and i dont think they will be a bottom 5 team over those yrs....their "window" is open for success.
We shall see who is right in 5-6 yrs with the new stadium which is "league friendly" compared to the cemetary that is Olympic Park.

assuming the new stadium gets built

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=161394

super_coach

First Grade
Gould was a lawyer???????????????Maybe a bush lawyer-----but never a lawyer---He did do a course back in his penny panthers days,but it wasnt law.

lotti

Bench
and who knows when that will be, of course the AFL could always go to the Victorian Government and tell them to get a move on with it.