What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brian Hambly - Parra Legend

braz

Juniors
I posted this in the wests tigers forum...

Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:14 pm Post subject: History Lesson for me!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was in hospital a couple of weeks ago for a knee reconstruction and when i was recovering i started chatting to the old bloke in the bed next to me.

I recognised his name but couldn't pick it. We started talking about footy and it clicked. It was Brian Hambly - Australian 2nd rower from the sixties.

He was pretty stoked that I had heard of him - me being in my mid twenties and all!

Anyway he started at souths and played for parra during the sixties.

The best stories were about playing for the kangaroos under Keith Barnes in 59 and Arthur Summons in 63. Getting stuck in to the poms with Noel Kelly in england in 63, when he got sent off in an all in brawl!

He played against the great magpies and dragons sides in the early sixties and was offered to go to both clubs.

he went to parra cause he had mates there like ron lynch. and he coached the eels in the late sixties.

he was telling me how him and ron lynch didn't make the parra legends team but dean pay did what a f***en joke!

anyway it was a honour to meet the bloke, a real champion. it was great to hear the old war stories especially about wests.

my old man was stoked when he came to see me and saw brian there. he spent the next 2 hours talking to brian about pratten park and the 63 grand final and how wests were robbed and forget all about me. bastard

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
What a legend he was.

I actually picked him in my Legends team, last year.

Dean Pay was good but this guy was better, a very hard hitter, straight up the middle.

No one bashed the pomms harder than this guy did.

I've also heard plenty of stories about Hambly and Ron Lynch on the drink.

Those were the good old days, in the old Cumberland Oval Grandstand.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Mate if there was ever a time I wanted a knee reconstruction it would of been yours what a great story. And your right he was robbed last year of a legends spot, however Ron Lynch and Jack Gibson were inducted this year. I say lets start a campain to have Brian Hambly inducted next year!!

Brian Hambly
eels legend 1961-67
111 games
6 tries
46 goals
NSW 1963
Australia 1963-65

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
eelavation said:
Mate if there was ever a time I wanted a knee reconstruction it would of been yours what a great story. And your right he was robbed last year of a legends spot, however Ron Lynch and Jack Gibson were inducted this year. I say lets start a campain to have Brian Hambly inducted next year!!

Brian Hambly
eels legend 1961-67
111 games
6 tries
46 goals
NSW 1963
Australia 1963-65

Here Here

Misty Bee

First Grade
That's a great tale!

Brian hambly IS a Parramatta legend, you don't need a farcical vote of teenyboppers to prove that. Hambly played somethnig like 20 tests - he was top of the tree.

Hambly for legend! He owns (or used to own) the Albion Hotel. A great Eel.

tonton

Juniors
Misty Bee said:
That's a great tale!

Brian hambly IS a Parramatta legend, you don't need a farcical vote of teenyboppers to prove that. Hambly played somethnig like 20 tests - he was top of the tree.

Hambly for legend! He owns (or used to own) the Albion Hotel. A great Eel.

I used to drink in his pub 'Riverview Hotel' in Balmain. Not sure if he still owns it (this was early - mid nineties and I now live in Melbourne). this was Dawn Frasers old pub. His son played first grade rah-rahs with my brother at Warringah.

he is a top bloke, parra legend.

braz

Juniors
yeah guys - definitely a top bloke and it was great to meet him.

still a big tough bastard - he kept saying "no" when the nurses were asking if he wanted pain killers. i was like "bring on the morphine" :lol:

get him into that legends list - he deserves it

country eel

Juniors
Great to read a story on a reel parramatta eel LEGEND instead of these so called legends of today that are manufactured by the media,cheers.