What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brian Smith - Last Chance or Not

Brian Smith - Last Chance Or Outta Here

• One Last Chance in 2005

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Outta Here ASAP - New Players, New Coach

• Brian Smith - Supercoach, Always Has Been, Always will be

• Total voters

Eels Dude

Coach
Misty Bee said:
But if the team doesn't compete in the semis this year, then it is time to get rid of Smith, even if it means bringing someone in to coach and shifting him to a meaningless coaching director role for a year for the sake of the contract.

At last some commonsense!!!!

Bartman knows what he is talking about, beinb Parramatta's last GF coach himself!

In other words he agrees with you :roll:

bartman

Immortal
Eels Dude said:
In other words he agrees with you :roll:

Not exactly. Misty aired his concerns well before i formed my position, and probably is more extreme about the timeframes and qualities he expects!

For me successful coaching is about making semis (especially in these days where more teams make it than miss out!). Smith had a definite blemish last year after a good run. A blemish can be forgiven if it is rectified - Smith did that with "big and ugly" policy that didn't come off, but despite everything thankfully the side is only 2 wins behind 6th place.

If we weren't to make the semis this year, that's two blemishes in a row, and constitutes a definite trend. Then that's time to act, with Smith "up" to director position for a year (all the rage now for coaches of his age and stage) and in with a new person with some new ideas.

I respect your right to your opinion, and we can all obviously disagree. But as long as we are happy to discuss the hows and whys, then that's the point of a forum, innit?

fish eel

Immortal
If we weren't to make the semis this year, that's two blemishes in a row, and constitutes a definite trend. Then that's time to act, with Smith "up" to director position for a year (all the rage now for coaches of his age and stage) and in with a new person with some new ideas.

But given that Smith has bought genuine quality for next season, excluding the super league assisted purchases, when was the last time we bought so well?

Shouldn't he be given first crack with them next year, given he got them for us?

True EEL

Bench
thre are three problems with BS staying in my opinion

(1) he has already had 8 years with some of the ebst talent in the NRL (perhaps except with this year) and realistically has nothing to show for it in terms of legitimate awards or end points......ie Premierships.....therefore he has had enough chances, why should he really get another, especially considering the fact that "this year" was mean't to be his last chance???????

(2) i am rapt about the signings for next year, but if BS stays next year and ends up tampering with the team and having strange ideas about where people can and can't play and continually picks ridiculous teams with people out of position, i will cry as i cannot handle that anymore...............period

(3) if he should stay there should be no reason to be asking ourselves, does he deserve "another chance" or "is this his last chance"......realistically the need to ask such poor questions gives you your answer.....no he doesn't

bartman

Immortal
fish eel said:
Shouldn't he be given first crack with them next year, given he got them for us?
Yeah sure, provided we make the semis this year! Otherwise he can still take the credit for the recruitment, and continue with that responsibility in the other role, in addition with some of the media work he seems good at - and maybe rep coaching - in kind of a Gus-roosters role, whilst seeing his contract out with dignity?

Each year every coach goes through the recruitment phase trying to make improvements on the previous year. When it doesn't work, they should be accountable at least to some extent. Especially if you're performance has not netted improvement two years in a row...

I hope it doesn't have to happen like that at all. But could be worse - over here Widnes sacked their coach after losing four games in a row. And he was the coach that had already tasted success with them in getting them promoted to Superleague in the first place! That's a bit harsh, probably even for Misty ;-)

It seems to me as though the most determental thing in regards to the clubs coaching staff was letting Daniel Anderson go.
Even though he left in 2000 from an outsider looking in he seemed to develope alot of the younger blokes coming into grade in the years before he left like the cayless's, hindmarsh's, PJ Marsh etc which culminated in Smith almost finishing off the job in 2001.
Do any other parra supporters share this view that Andresons departure combined with some of smiths rentention policies have lead to parra not doing as well as they possibly should have??

strider

Post Whore
For starters - he wasn't "let go"...he was seen as a good prospect by the Warriors, they offered him everything (full control over everything - even the NZ national team).....it was a great opportunity for him to be a first grade coach, so he left...there was no question that he would take over from Smithy any time soon in 1999/2000.

And secondly, things didn't pan out so well for him did it....'02 - grand finalists, '03 - preliminary finalists, '04 - may well get the wooden spoon.....THAT is far worse than Parra's fall from grace, yet Smithy cops far more criticism than Anderson.....Anderson lost/didn't play just as much talent as Smith has (Ali, Jones, Toopi, Hohia).

Anderson may well be a great coach....I am just puzzled why no one questions his fall from grace as much as Smithy's.

CrazyEel

Bench
NthCronullaLocal said:
Do any other parra supporters share this view that Andresons departure combined with some of smiths rentention policies have lead to parra not doing as well as they possibly should have??

I surely do

Yeah sorry strider i termed it wrong. I am not blaming your club for Anderson not being there. It would have not be right of them to stand in his way when the Warriors opportunity arose.
Being a pretty important member of the coaching staff it just seems to me that the difference is there to see with him not being there. Obviously there would be other factors but i think him not being there has contributed to parras performances over the last couple of years.
I am not critising smith just seeing what all your thoughts were / are on Anderson and the contribution he made to the club, especially when it came to developing the lower graders.

Latest posts