What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brian Smith on 'Bench Coaching'

The Whippet

Juniors
Arguably the greatest challenge for a Rugby League coach is the successful transition from training instructor to game-day director.

While natural instinct and intuition play an important role in completing the step triumphantly, in-depth knowledge and a wealth of experience are over-riding factors.

Clearly some coaches do display an almost uncanny ability to `read' a game, but for the main it is a predetermined system which allows them to make sound tactical decisions while under the massive ressure of a game-day situation. Without this background, months or even years of planning and preparation may be wasted because of a single error at a crucial stage in the game.

Parramatta coach Brian Smith, a veteran of over 300 first grade matches, believes game-day or `bench' coaching can, on many occasions, make or break a team's chances of victory.

"A lot of good work can be sadly and badly brought undone by poor decisions from the bench," says Smith.

"While the coach's input may not be as high as in other sports, it is an integral part of any successful Rugby League team.

Due to the physical contact and the stress on players, there are far more variables for you to consider than in training, but at the same time the level of intervention is limited.

"The most satisfying days you will ever experience as a coach are when your gameplan goes exactly as it should. However, those days are few and far between and it is imperative that you have the ability to cope with any possible problems you might encounter.

"Reacting and adjusting to differing circumstances like injuries, sin-bins and weather conditions doesn't just come naturally," Smith reveals.

"Practising these situations at training allows you to react positively when they happen in a game. And when they do happen it allows you to gauge your approach and either adjust it or reinforce it before the next game.

"It is a continuous learning cycle. In the past I have followed games by a set routine, but now I prefer to be a lot less rigid. You need to establish a feel for the game and consider all your options when any variables arise......."

Source: RLCM

"It is a continuous learning cycle. In the past I have followed games by a set routine, but now I prefer to be a lot less rigid. You need to establish a feel for the game and consider all your options when any variables arise......."

Lets hope so.

Latest posts