What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bring Back Our Game.

boardlumps62

Juniors
The other night I watched a footy match Manly v East's from Andrew Voss Classic Replays won 38 to 12 by Manly. They played with a leather ball the players especially Manly showed real skill with speed to burn and blew East's of the park.
My point this game was fast there were some big men with skills and seen one player KO himself when he collided with the back of a Manly player.
There were none of that six again crap and the ref looked to keep a good 10m for defensive team (think it was the 10m rule).
The game we see now is huge forwards colliding at speed and small blokes (halves and hookers) defending the middle and players either getting concussed in the tackle or defenders using the shoulder charge to stop the momentum.
One solution now that concussion is on the rise and won't go away is reduce the size of the players or reduce the distance between the teams. The five metre rule?

blacksafake

First Grade
The other night I watched a footy match Manly v East's from Andrew Voss Classic Replays won 38 to 12 by Manly. They played with a leather ball the players especially Manly showed real skill with speed to burn and blew East's of the park.
My point this game was fast there were some big men with skills and seen one player KO himself when he collided with the back of a Manly player.
There were none of that six again crap and the ref looked to keep a good 10m for defensive team (think it was the 10m rule).
The game we see now is huge forwards colliding at speed and small blokes (halves and hookers) defending the middle and players either getting concussed in the tackle or defenders using the shoulder charge to stop the momentum.
One solution now that concussion is on the rise and won't go away is reduce the size of the players or reduce the distance between the teams. The five metre rule?
The problem with the five metre rule now would be just running from dummy half.
There is too much wrestle & gang tackling in today's game & the defence would be set which would only allow one out or dummy half runs.

BLM01

First Grade
The problem with the five metre rule now would be just running from dummy half.
There is too much wrestle & gang tackling in today's game & the defence would be set which would only allow one out or dummy half runs.
No I have said this before
Refs call held quicker when momentum stopped and not allow players to hold on to long on the ground tackle but give them latitude like the used to to get to market. That will speed up that part
The 5 metre Rule did work before they had any wrestling
On the flip side make them play the ball snd police all the ruck infringements I.e. pushing players, walking off the Mark, holding onto markers etc etc properly as per the rules and then it will slow down that part which evens itself out.
Heaven forbid someone might be able to tap and go if markers are lazy and haven’t got there in time but with 5 metre defence it will be okay

BLM01

First Grade
Add in the bulls##t bunker call after the try is awarded as well. They are ruining the game.
Yes I know the games over now but can someone tell me
1. where did bird knock that on for the first try for the bunker to conclusively overrule the referee
2. I may have been fooled by the slow motion replay but how long was Sam Walker held up before he got the ball down by one of his own coming in after pushing him so the ball got down on the line,
when is a player held and momentum stopped?
that’s what I want to know and I want fixed in the current game

hewi

Bench
Yes I know the games over now but can someone tell me
1. where did bird knock that on for the first try for the bunker to conclusively overrule the referee
2. I may have been fooled by the slow motion replay but how long was Sam Walker held up before he got the ball down by one of his own coming in after pushing him so the ball got down on the line,
when is a player held and momentum stopped?
that’s what I want to know and I want fixed in the current game

All day the first was a try the second wasn’t.

Dragon David

First Grade
Before they Bunker makes a call like they did for the disallowed try to bird they should run one of those Speck Saver ads ......
I don't know who the bunker ref was on Sunday. Sounded like Henry Perenara and without saying anything to offend him, his decision for us was suss - he in my opinion is not a fan of the Dragons even though he played for us. As BLM01 how long do refs give to say held up. Walker seemed to be well and truly held up until his aide pushed him down, it was so obvious that if the other Roosters player didn't come in, Walker would not have scored the try.

Gareth67

First Grade
I don't know who the bunker ref was on Sunday. Sounded like Henry Perenara and without saying anything to offend him, his decision for us was suss - he in my opinion is not a fan of the Dragons even though he played for us. As BLM01 how long do refs give to say held up. Walker seemed to be well and truly held up until his aide pushed him down, it was so obvious that if the other Roosters player didn't come in, Walker would not have scored the try.

The refs have taken it upon themselves to turn our game into a hybrid of league and union . In union that - pushing your teammate over the try line is perfectly acceptable , but come on refs , not in rugby league .

How many players nowadays go in to tackle their opponents low ?

As boardlumps62 has pointed out , they come together in a collision of bodies , with the small chaps being knocked senseless ( Luke Keary for one goes high and is knocked into next week as a result as are many other slightly built players ) .

The great Johnny Raper , Billy Smith and Ron Coote must raise their eyebrows in exasperation at what passes as defense in today’s game .

Too many bullocks on the field now with no idea how to stop their man other than to hit them with their upper bodies - it’s a bluudy shambles !

And further more there is one individual who can claim responsibility for this garbage , the introduction of wrestling, Kwai Kon Doe ( ?) and good old back lane thuggery with chicken wings etc. etc .

Rant over . :rage:

Walpole

Juniors
I'd like to see refs get back to refereeing the games, rather than "manage" it as they do these days. None of this telling blokes they're offside, or to stay in a scrum or they can challenge a ruling. If they're offside, penalise them. And absolutely no calling players (other than the captain) by their name. f**k me, some young guy makes his debut and the ref knows who he is! It's clearly part of their preparation. Nothing wrong with Blue 7 or Red 12.

Pleeeease , don’t get me started . :frowning2:

I better put these away then...

images

Slippery Morris

First Grade
You can blame a certain coach and team for this as they focused on slowing the opposition down with wresting. Rather than stop that, the NRL made changes to other rules and tightened up on the basic ones especially knock ons. The try's Bird scored against Sharks in Rd 1 and Chooks on Sunday would never have been disallowed for knock on in those days. Mind you the ref blew a try only to be over turned by yours truly who pick and chose when to show replays or not to justify their call. They are truly ruining the came with their obvious bias towards teams.

The player literally had to lose full possession of the ball for it to be called a knock on in those days, not a slight slip from the fingers as realistically the player still has possession not the defender. That is one thing I noticed watching the old games that is for sure. I don't get how the opposition gets possession of the ball bobbles out of a guys hand and hits the back of an opposing players head and you then re-gather? The opposition didn't get possession. Why did they make it so difficult by calling it as soon as it leaves your grasp for a second and it just touches the opposing player?

As for the wrestle. If they change it back to 5 meters it will make a huge difference as players will get off quicker (won't take as long to set the line) and that way less penalties for off side. There will be holes in defences just like there were in the old days.

blacksafake

First Grade
No I have said this before
Refs call held quicker when momentum stopped and not allow players to hold on to long on the ground tackle but give them latitude like the used to to get to market. That will speed up that part
The 5 metre Rule did work before they had any wrestling
On the flip side make them play the ball snd police all the ruck infringements I.e. pushing players, walking off the Mark, holding onto markers etc etc properly as per the rules and then it will slow down that part which evens itself out.
Heaven forbid someone might be able to tap and go if markers are lazy and haven’t got there in time but with 5 metre defence it will be okay
Can’t see the refs doing this these days & they’re most likely under instructions not to by the nrl because the broadcasters want a spectacle. The game changed & not for the better when wrestling was introduced. The ruck is an absolute nightmare in today’s game with to much advantage given to the defence.
I’m sick of hearing the refs “coaching” with their surrender, dominate, stay, stop, go blah blah blah. I can still remember a game Tim Mander reffed when we played the warriors & the defenders fell off a dragons player who quickly got to his feet & played the ball, Mander called play back & said you can’t play the ball quickly because it’s a dominant tackle. WTF.

Dragon David

First Grade
The refs have taken it upon themselves to turn our game into a hybrid of league and union . In union that - pushing your teammate over the try line is perfectly acceptable , but come on refs , not in rugby league .

As boardlumps62 has pointed out , they come together in a collision of bodies , with the small chaps being knocked senseless ( Luke Keary for one goes high and is knocked into next week as a result as are many other slightly built players ) .

The great Johnny Raper , Billy Smith and Ron Coote must raise their eyebrows in exasperation at what passes as defense in today’s game .

Too many bullocks on the field now with no idea how to stop their man other than to hit them with their upper bodies - it’s a bluudy shambles !

And further more there is one individual who can claim responsibility for this garbage , the introduction of wrestling, Kwai Kon Doe ( ?) and good old back lane thuggery with chicken wings etc. etc .

Not many Gareth I suppose because they want to stop any second phase passes but if you check this Youtube clip, they did a lot of low tackles then.

Inisai Toga

Juniors

In addition, many of the commentators criticise low tacking and others then buy into this narrative. Just can’t believe what i’m seeing and hearing!

Last edited:

boardlumps62

Juniors
The speed of the game has put an end to Henry Perenara. I liked him but he didn't like us.

boardlumps62

Juniors
Can’t see the refs doing this these days & they’re most likely under instructions not to by the nrl because the broadcasters want a spectacle. The game changed & not for the better when wrestling was introduced. The ruck is an absolute nightmare in today’s game with to much advantage given to the defence.
I’m sick of hearing the refs “coaching” with their surrender, dominate, stay, stop, go blah blah blah. I can still remember a game Tim Mander reffed when we played the warriors & the defenders fell off a dragons player who quickly got to his feet & played the ball, Mander called play back & said you can’t play the ball quickly because it’s a dominant tackle. WTF.
And that talking pisses me off totally as well. Ref the game don't tell them how to play. You can hear then barking offside. Well call them offside penalise them and stick that six again shit in the bin or bunker with those dickheads.

boardlumps62

Juniors
And now Trent Robinson has read my post and wants the players to change their tackling style to reduce head highs. Well yeah the coaches created the wrestling shit and the NRLsped up the game so players have those quick reflex actions where players heads are being dislodged. Players are bigger coming at the defence quicker so the shoulder charge is the way to take them down.
Let's slow the game down get those lovely under the ribs tackle back (yes just like Rava) and the around the legs tackles as well. Also to many players tackling one man has to stop. That's what hurt Kurt Mann and other leg injuries.