What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bring on the finals

Eldorado

Juniors
My appetitie has truly been whetted by some recent finals type football. The Eels/Dogs, Dragons/Broncs,Sharks/Dogs games have all been tough no-nonsence type finalsfootball going right down to the wire.

All these teams have demonstrated a capacity to knuckle down and grind out games in true finals fashion.If these games are an example ofthetype of football awaiting us in the finals then we are going to see absolute bumper crowds and great football in the weeks ahead.You can already sensethe buzz and interest building amongst the general public. I get the feeling we are going to see a lot of sellout semi finals this year rather than the half empty stadiums we have had over the last few years.

So which teams will shine and which teams will fade under finals type football? Who are the pretenders and who are the true contenders?

O

ozbash

expect some major upsets from 1 team. the nz warriors

everything to play for and nothing to lose......

The teams that will show great improvement in the finals are the teams with big match experience. The three teams that stand out as having that experience are Brisbane, Easts and Newcastle, the three teams that are out of form at the moment.

Parramatta are the best side in the comp. The only thing that can beat them is the old saying that you have to lose a grandfinal before you win one.

Canterbury always seem to play well in the finals.

Cronulla can't win.

Dragons and Warriors can spring an upset or two, but not three.

Any of the top four or Easts could win, but Parra are deserved favourites IMO.

L

legend

Parra should win it but I have not discounted the chances of Brisbane and Newcastle. The rest I think will fall away but I still think the Warriors will cause some sides grief, especially the dogs. I don't think the Roosters have the mental toughness to win from the bottom half of the eight and Saints can cause some trouble but I think the loss of Craig Smith will just be too difficult a hurdle to overcome.

BlueAnGold

Juniors
any team could spring an upset on one day but to win the comp must win three tough games in a row and not many have displayed that capability;

parramatta - most dominant team with best defense and attack
bulldogs - always tenacious and will fight to end
newcastle - no chance, cant tough it out, too soft(conceded more points than others have scored)
sharks - no chance, dont have enough mongrel, too showy
broncos - no chance, too many injuries and just a shadow of what they were
dragons - not enough discipline, could surprise but doubt it
roosters - not this year
warriors - capable but notaway from ericson

anything can happen but finals areusually tough defensive games and i don't expect this year to be any different, you can see it startingalready in the games listed

The knights defence has been poor.
Billy Peden made the point the other day that defence is a measure of commitment and intensity. The Knights would be the oldest team in the comp by average ages and they have not been putting in the efforts to beat younger and keener opponents during the later part of the season. Several players were rested in the game against the Dragons in an attempt to get the enthusiasm back into the side in the rundown to the final series. Being comfortably in the top four all season has not been good for keeping up the intensity in the older players, who have switched off far too early in several games.
The final series will be a completely different ball game. The same old guys who don't bust a gut to win games during the season have been in finals and grandfinals before and they won't spare any effort in the big games.
Johns did an interview a few weeks ago where he talked about how loseing when they should have won in a knockout final last year felt, and he left no doubt that he will put in as much effort as he is capable of in the final games this year, and the other players will follow his example.
If any team thinks the Knights team they will face in the finals is the team that played against Wests last week, good, we will blow them off the park before they know whats hit them.

BlueAnGold

Juniors
lol, mate you can't fix a bad defence in a week andthe fact that peden made that comment just shows why they have the problem in the first place.

you keep talking abouthistory provingexperience wins finals but when in all the history of the comp has the worst defensive team ever won it
emwink.gif
to tell you the truth if the knights did win it it would be a travesty of justice.

btw, history alsorecalls a young team full of 20 yr old kids playin their first year of grade winning it in 81, funnily enoughreminds me a lot of a similar team this year,20 years later on, wonder if that's an omen
emsmilep.gif

don't blame you for standin by your team though mate, while theres life theres hope
emthup.gif

If I had to highlight one weak spot with the eels, it is there 1/2 back....Mr Turnstile, Mr JT. OK, he has been impressive this year but anyone with a substantial memory will remember some of his stuff ups with Norths in semis during the 90s. Taylor can't take the rough stuff. He can throw a good pass or even step into a hole, but how well will he go when his forwards are confronted with menances such as the dogs,warriors and sharks forward packs?
I would put a question mark on him. They have not been tested for a few weeks, ill stick my head out now and say that the roosters will knock them off next week at the SFS. They are definitely still the overall favourites, although the question marks have been gradually getting larger over the last few weeks....
The Fan.

BlueAnGold

Juniors
well he won't have to go any better than the last time he was confronted with them will he. and i think your 1/2 has just as much claim on turnstiles there mfc.

...although the question marks have been gradually getting larger over the last few weeks....
i take it your referring to the dogs against parra, cowboys and sharks? yes, i agree, they have not been very impressive. must be worrying you :)

BlueAnGold

Juniors
i know that dog but according to mfc there are cracks appearing in the eels and i was justsarcasticly asking him if they were there against the dogs, i will be extremely surprised to see anything other than a eels v dogs gf, thev'e been the 2 best and most consistent teams all year and deserve to fight it out, it should be 1 v 2

next week will be very interesting,there may be some shenanigans goin on to set up the 1st weeks matchups. theknights & sharks may roll over in an attempt to drawthe out of form broncs instead of the roosters first up. the dogsmay also lie down against the saints in an attempt to avoidthe warriors.wouldn't put it past smith to radically change the eels team depending on results friday and saturday night :)

Eldorado

Juniors
"but how well will he go when his forwards are confronted with menances such as the dogs,warriors and sharks forward packs?"

Where have you been all year MFC. Thought they handled the dogs and sharks packs very nicely thankyou. It's true the Warriors gave them a tickle up atEricson but they made a bigger mess of your lot and the Sharks didn't they? Appearsyou've got your own backyard to worry about
emsmilep.gif