What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Broncos 2012 Signings

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
The Broncos have signed Joe Bond (source: QLD cup commentary team).

Brilliant attacking player, has most of the skills you would want, light on his feet and quick, similar in style to Barba. Not as good at breaking tackles as Barba is. But has better passing and kicking game then Barba.

I'm not convinced on his defence though...

Deserves a crack though.

Big Pete

Referee
Luke Dalziel-Don & Jake Granville have been invited to train during the pre-season.

As mentioned elsewhere, LDD tore his ACL and could be out until May.

Happy for Jake though.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Luke Dalziel-Don & Jake Granville have been invited to train during the pre-season.

As mentioned elsewhere, LDD tore his ACL and could be out until May.

Happy for Jake though.

Does "invited to train" mean that they are signed, or is just invited?

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Jake Granville from Wynnum and Chris McClean from Norths have been signed to the Broncos.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...g-jake-granville/story-e6frep5x-1226495409487

Granville is a quality and versatile player who can play hooker or fullback. Baptiste is a better hooker though imo (who, coincidentally, will be will with the Broncos next season, thankfully).

Can't comment on McClean. I mean, I've watched Norths play many times, but didn't really notice this guy... Was he QLD cup level or the one below?

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Granville is a quality and versatile player who can play hooker or fullback. Baptiste is a better hooker though imo (who, coincidentally, will be will with the Broncos next season, thankfully).

Can't comment on McClean. I mean, I've watched Norths play many times, but didn't really notice this guy... Was he QLD cup level or the one below?

Granville hasn't played fullback since the 2011 Grand Final. He was only thrown in there because Wynnum was short on quality backs then. Granville was always a hooker and has been throughout 2012. He would run rings around Baptiste as he did in the Semi at Kougari.

McLean is a Queensland Cup player. Goes well and scored a good try in that Semi that Norths lost.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Granville hasn't played fullback since the 2011 Grand Final. He was only thrown in there because Wynnum was short on quality backs then. Granville was always a hooker and has been throughout 2012. He would run rings around Baptiste as he did in the Semi at Kougari.

McLean is a Queensland Cup player. Goes well and scored a good try in that Semi that Norths lost.

I've seen both Granville and Baptiste play quite a few times and I rate Baptiste higher. Sure Granville is a little quicker but Baptiste has better skills generally in the hooking department.

In any case, I think Griffin needs to choose either Wallace or Hunt to play halfback, and one of these guys to play back up hooker. Granville might have a slight advantage due to his ability to cover more positions. The loser of Wallace/Hunt needs to play full time halfback in QLD cup.

Thanks for the info on McClean. I've watched Norths a few times this year and must admit I don't remember him standing out, otherwise I would have remembered his name!

Big Pete

Referee
Sorry for leaving you hanging earlier GTB.

It just means they train with the club. If they impress, they then sign a deal and stick with us. Otherwise, they return to their QCup club and train their for the majority of the week. At least, that's my understanding with the likes of Winterstein, Reed, Slyney & Capewell.

McLean started with the Cowboys in their 20s. Believe he captained them and was always very handy player. Didn't notice him a lot at Norths but my impression was that he was one of their better players at the tail end.

Just glad Granville finally has a contract. He should have been with the club since 2010 and hopefully he gets the nod over the likes of Capewell.

Was just as glad to hear Baptiste was staying. Hopefully he has a more fortunate off-season.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
I've seen both Granville and Baptiste play quite a few times and I rate Baptiste higher. Sure Granville is a little quicker but Baptiste has better skills generally in the hooking department.

Not sure what you mean by "the hooking department".

Granville is a fantastic defender. Baptiste tried hard the last time against Wynnum but Jake had a much bigger influence on the game.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Not sure what you mean by "the hooking department".

Granville is a fantastic defender. Baptiste tried hard the last time against Wynnum but Jake had a much bigger influence on the game.

I didn't see that game but maybe Wynnum had better go forward in that game, so it might not be a fair comparison.

I think Baptiste gives better service and he is also very crafty near the try line, puts the defence in two minds and is great and putting big guys through holes to crash over.

I don't notice defence as much, so I'll take your word that Granville > Baptiste in that department. Defence is certainly very important for NRL level.

Anyway, hope both of these guys get a crack for a bench spot and put pressure on McCullough, who imo is solid but overrated.

broncos4life

Juniors
I didn't see that game but maybe Wynnum had better go forward in that game, so it might not be a fair comparison.

I think Baptiste gives better service and he is also very crafty near the try line, puts the defence in two minds and is great and putting big guys through holes to crash over.

I don't notice defence as much, so I'll take your word that Granville > Baptiste in that department. Defence is certainly very important for NRL level.

Anyway, hope both of these guys get a crack for a bench spot and put pressure on McCullough, who imo is solid but overrated.

Haha mate if you think either Granville or Baptiste are even close, or are gonna get close to putting pressure on macca than you are going to be sadly mistaken

Unknown_Score

Juniors
Macca can defend and is solid at getting go forward but the Broncos need speed off the bench cause both he and hunt are slow. Baptiste had a good year but in the 3 games he played Granville and the resident game they played together, Granville played much better.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Granville is always great late in halves when there are players tiring, he would be even better just coming off the bench to do it.

Seagullsrock

Juniors

Norths had Lui/Anderson/Gibb/Frei in their pack. They didn't field a stronger pack all season.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Norths had Lui/Anderson/Gibb/Frei in their pack. They didn't field a stronger pack all season.

I guess what appears on paper is not necessarily wants happens out on the field... I didn't see the game, so I'll take your word that Norths matched it with Wynnum in the forwards.

Sorry guys, I can only go on what I've seen. And from what I've seen I rate Baptiste higher. I respect your opinion too, especially as you guys watch a lot of QLD cup. Perhaps though you might be a little biased towards Granville, given that he plays for a certain team...???

To be honest I don't care much whose better, as long as one of them steps up to NRL level, I'm sure all Broncos supporters will be ecstatic if that happens, e.g. Gillett. The whole Hunt off the bench thing isn't working.