What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Broncos voted Australia's most popular football team

meltiger

First Grade
These surveys are still bullsh*t but at least it's more believable when the Broncos are coming out on top

1.2 mill people support the Swans ... bullsh*t

Jason Maher

Immortal
No surprise here. They are the only team in Australia with sole representation in a major city in the major code in that city. West Coast's figures would have been similar pre-Dockers, and Adelaide's pre-Port, scaled to the respective population bases. I imagine the Titans may have bitten a small chunk off the Broncos though.

The problem with the Swans figure is it would include a lot of people like me - I follow them, but AFL is very much secondary to League. This would not be the case for the majority of the Broncos fans.

meltiger

First Grade
Melbourne Storm, who appeared in the past four NRL grand finals, winning two, have gone from 497,000 supporters in 2004 to almost 800,000 in the 2009 results and are fourth overall despite being based in AFL heartland.

I missed this first time around.

& we havd a thread go for pages with people wanting to cut Melbourne off financially :roll: :crazy:

Perth Red

Post Whore
How on earth do they come up with these figures? If remotely true the 3 clubs mentioned would all be selling out every game surely!

MsStorm

Bench
How on earth do they come up with these figures? If remotely true the 3 clubs mentioned would all be selling out every game surely!

It wasn't based on "bumbs on seats", but a survey/poll Australia wide asking which team you follow/support. Apparently they had something like 20,000 respondents.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I appreciate that but surely any club with an alleged 1.2million fans should be able to get 50K to a game?

Parraboi1

Juniors
No surprise here. They are the only team in Australia with sole representation in a major city in the major code in that city. West Coast's figures would have been similar pre-Dockers, and Adelaide's pre-Port, scaled to the respective population bases. I imagine the Titans may have bitten a small chunk off the Broncos though.

The problem with the Swans figure is it would include a lot of people like me - I follow them, but AFL is very much secondary to League. This would not be the case for the majority of the Broncos fans.

Mate all the A-league clubs have one city to themselves.

Anyways lol at the last quote "the strongest Sydney-based clubs - Parramatta, the Bulldogs and Wests Tigers - all had strong ties to Sydney's west," no kidding and ill take it Canberra have strong ties to the Act :roll:

Another thing that jumps out at me is the comment made about expansion clubs in the Western Suburbs, of course its a stronghold for league but it is after all the heartland of football in this country aswell. Afl really have no chance of getting anywhere here tho.

Now to the actual numbers, trying to tell us Storm have more supporters than any of the big ws clubs is a joke heck Melbourne Victory even have better support.

Id go as far as saying these numbers are estimated guesses and they really only polled 30 odd thousand from Sydney, Melbs and brissie. I can see it now one kid picks his favourite clubs as being Roosters and Swans another kid picks rabbitohs and swans etc etc.

Goddo

Bench
zzz. another pole where they make sweeping assumptions then declare a winner. ignore it people. don't think too hard about it because its crap

Loudstrat

Coach
I appreciate that but surely any club with an alleged 1.2million fans should be able to get 50K to a game?
Its quite simple. A company employs a person tyo stand in a shopping centre and ask everyo9ne who goes by who they follow. If it's Redcliffe shopping centyre, all the respondents will say "Brisbane", even though half will not know the club has 2 different sets of colours or that Wally isn't playing anymore.

Same if the person stood at Pakenham. All the respondens will say "Melbourne" because every one will recall the name of the city they are in, and vaguely recall that they have a RL team.

I guess it baffles you that all those respondents don't race off to get season tickets to the Nikau stand, and your response will be to blame Gallop and demand 6 Sydney clubs get punted as a result.

It's a STUPID POLL that proves nothing.

Goddo

Bench
Depends on what you define "followed club" as. In terms of general support, it is probably Melbourne, Brisbane, Warriors or Rabbitohs, but in terms of people willing to a) watch the team on TV, b) buy merchandise c) buy memberships and d) go to games, I'd say Tigers, Dragons, Parra, Broncos, Souths or Dogs.

Thats not to say Melbourne won't be huge in future. I think that club has a very bright future once they move into the new stadium. Storm fans will be like the broncos, cowboys or knights eventually.

LESStar58

Referee
Depends on what you define "followed club" as. In terms of general support, it is probably Melbourne, Brisbane, Warriors or Rabbitohs, but in terms of people willing to a) watch the team on TV, b) buy merchandise c) buy memberships and d) go to games, I'd say Tigers, Dragons, Parra, Broncos, Souths or Dogs.

Thats not to say Melbourne won't be huge in future. I think that club has a very bright future once they move into the new stadium. Storm fans will be like the broncos, cowboys or knights eventually.

In past seasons I've observed that when those two teams go well they draw a crowd but when they are rubbish nobody shows up. Compare this years Storm Vs Saints game at Oki to those of past years and you'll see what I mean...

Loudstrat

Coach

Good call. Warriors would outrate Brisbane if they included NZ.

The poll is obviously flawed. Quite obviously the most supported club is whoever is playing Manly.