What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Jets

Perth Red

Post Whore
The infrastructure in Greater Brisbane isn't built to support 2.4 million people. Ch7 news spoke about how bad it is in one of their segments. The average commute in Brisbane has increased by by something like 45% over the last 5 years, whereas in Sydney it's only been 17% and in Melbourne it's only increased by 12%.

Sydney 71 minutes
Brisbane 67 minutes
Melbourne 65 minutes

People would make the effort to travel from the outskirts to Lang Park for derby matches that mean something, but for all other games they would prefer to be travelling around their neck of the woods.

Adelaide and Perth don't have the traffic congestion issues that plague Brisbane.

problem is as soon as you start moving outwards you by nature reduce your catchment, need massive more spending to create decent outer stadiums and end up limiting your appeal. Yes it makes it easier for the 12-15k to go but no suburban based team in this country is drawing 20k plus crowds in any code. If Brisbane2 wants the resources to compete it will need a big attending fanbase. That means a city wide appeal playing at Suncorp

that’s my big concern about the dolphins bid. It would be like the afl calling a wa team mandurah or peel and them playing at Optus.

Diesel

Referee
although called Fremantle they are really seen as the south of the river club, and the more working mans club so have plenty of fans in the north as well. Eagles draw from north and south, Of course they had the massive advantage that you haven’t been able get a seat at aWC Eagles game for 15 years so if you want to follow and attend a club it has to be the Dockers! Brisbane 2 will not have that massive advantage.
I don’t see what seating capacity of two clubs in WA that don’t play rugby league have to do with Brisbane

toomuchsoup

Juniors
Red and green is a bit christmasish. I never combine those colors and people tell me I have sick dress sense.
Yellow with black is the combination I would go.
Yes, Christmasish together but as 2 seperate main colours, would be good additions to the comp.
Yellow and Black would another great option. Much better than the proposed Navy and Orange

problem is as soon as you start moving outwards you by nature reduce your catchment, need massive more spending to create decent outer stadiums and end up limiting your appeal. Yes it makes it easier for the 12-15k to go but no suburban based team in this country is drawing 20k plus crowds in any code. If Brisbane2 wants the resources to compete it will need a big attending fanbase. That means a city wide appeal playing at Suncorp

that’s my big concern about the dolphins bid. It would be like the afl calling a wa team mandurah or peel and them playing at Optus.
The Melbournian AwFuL clubs pull good crowds, but they're at the MCG and Docklands.

It doesn't help that all NRL games are played in a unique timeslot, giving Foxtel subscribers less reason to go to the games.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don’t see what seating capacity of two clubs in WA that don’t play rugby league have to do with Brisbane

I only mention it as people keep mentioning Freo as one of the great expansion success stories and we should copy their model. Just pointing out that a big part of their success is due to the eagles being at capacity, something that isnt the case in Brisbane with the Broncos so there wont be the knock on effect of instant popularity for the new club in the same way as Freo enjoy

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Melbournian AwFuL clubs pull good crowds, but they're at the MCG and Docklands.

It doesn't help that all NRL games are played in a unique timeslot, giving Foxtel subscribers less reason to go to the games.

As pointed out many times Melbournes transport infrastructure is a massive bonus in getting large groups of people from mid - outer areas into MCG. Perth benefits from similar. From what you've said Brisbane doesnt have that infrastructure and suffers like Sydney accordingly. Even then I doubt most of the fans are travelling to MCG from 40kms away which is how far Redcliffe is from Suncorp. Given the new club is likely to be wanted by FTA on a Thurs or Fri night most games where are the fans going to come from to watch the games? Moreton Bay region is a heck of trek on an evening to Suncorp. Is there likely to be many fans with say a 25km radius of Suncorp that will back a dolphins club?

As pointed out many times Melbournes transport infrastructure is a massive bonus in getting large groups of people from mid - outer areas into MCG. Perth benefits from similar. From what you've said Brisbane doesnt have that infrastructure and suffers like Sydney accordingly. Even then I doubt most of the fans are travelling to MCG from 40kms away which is how far Redcliffe is from Suncorp. Given the new club is likely to be wanted by FTA on a Thurs or Fri night most games where are the fans going to come from to watch the games? Moreton Bay region is a heck of trek on an evening to Suncorp. Is there likely to be many fans with say a 25km radius of Suncorp that will back a dolphins club?
Ch9 don't care about crowds. They stick the Cowboys on a Thursday and Friday night, knowing full well that many fans have to travel 4 or more hours each way to get to games.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ch9 don't care about crowds. They stick the Cowboys on a Thursday and Friday night, knowing full well that many fans have to travel 4 or more hours each way to get to games.

My point exactly, you've been telling us forever that its important to have Brisbane2 for FTA value, that means Thurs ad Fri night games most of the year. So do you see people travelling from Moreton Bay area to suncorp on a Thursday or Friday night in large numbers? And if not where are the Dolphins going to get bums on seats from?

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
If you get additional Brisbane teams (3 would be premium) you get more media dominance in Brisbane more rivalry, more debate, more water cooler chatter, there would be that Melbourne culture type thing of people disclosing/asking who their NRL team is. I think it would be a real brown snake bite to AFL in Brisbane. Brisbane would be in line for grand finals. There would be bitter feuds over state or origin selection, most Qld players would stay home. It would be way better than what we have in Sydney.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If you get additional Brisbane teams (3 would be premium) you get more media dominance in Brisbane more rivalry, more debate, more water cooler chatter, there would be that Melbourne culture type thing of people disclosing/asking who their NRL team is. I think it would be a real brown snake bite to AFL in Brisbane. Brisbane would be in line for grand finals. There would be bitter feuds over state or origin selection, most Qld players would stay home. It would be way better than what we have in Sydney.

You only need two teams to do that. Better two big clubs than three mediocre ones. As mentioned numerous times it wont make any difference to AFL, people choose different sports to follow regardless of how saturated by one sport a market is, look at Swans in Sydney if you need proof.

Pippen94

First Grade

Nrl's strength is saturation of Sydney market. Ensures so many games involving local teams which draw largest audience from countries biggest city.
Competition should maximize Brisbane & replicate the same tribalism

Pippen94

First Grade
You only need two teams to do that. Better two big clubs than three mediocre ones. As mentioned numerous times it wont make any difference to AFL, people choose different sports to follow regardless of how saturated by one sport a market is, look at Swans in Sydney if you need proof.

Swans don't have mainstream support. TV ratings less than a quarter of what NRL does. Support has grown in areas where RL presence was never great such as north & east

T-Boon

Coach

Pure garbage.

My point exactly, you've been telling us forever that its important to have Brisbane2 for FTA value, that means Thurs ad Fri night games most of the year. So do you see people travelling from Moreton Bay area to suncorp on a Thursday or Friday night in large numbers? And if not where are the Dolphins going to get bums on seats from?
It'll be an issue, like it is for every other club that has to play in that timeslot. The 6pm Fri game has the same effect on all teams. Putting a 3rd team in Brisbane will minimise the amount of games the Dolphins play on a Thurs/Fri.

Brisbane is too big to be represented by just 2 clubs. If you base the Dolphins in Redcliffe then they won't represent Redlands, Logan and southern Brisbane. If you combine Dolphins with Easts, with an HQ some where in between the two clubs, then they can represent all of those areas. Adding Dolphins and Firehawks will cover both bases and allow them to play half of their games on Sunday.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nrl's strength is saturation of Sydney market. Ensures so many games involving local teams which draw largest audience from countries biggest city.
Competition should maximize Brisbane & replicate the same tribalism

Crowd avg in Sydney would argue differently. Where’s your tribalism when when 10k are turning up for penrith v Cronulla?

mongoose

Coach
two new clubs in Brisbane is crazy talk, where are they going to get fans? this isn't the A League who are happy to start with 4000 supporters attending games. There would be a huge uproar from Broncos and Titans if two new clubs were plonked on their doorstep. Lets see how Brisbane 2 goes before thinking about Brisbane 3...

Perth Red

Post Whore
It'll be an issue, like it is for every other club that has to play in that timeslot. The 6pm Fri game has the same effect on all teams. Putting a 3rd team in Brisbane will minimise the amount of games the Dolphins play on a Thurs/Fri.

Brisbane is too big to be represented by just 2 clubs. If you base the Dolphins in Redcliffe then they won't represent Redlands, Logan and southern Brisbane. If you combine Dolphins with Easts, with an HQ some where in between the two clubs, then they can represent all of those areas. Adding Dolphins and Firehawks will cover both bases and allow them to play half of their games on Sunday.

you make Great Danes point very well. Any new Brisbane team has to be able to attract from a much broader geographical area, and especially within a 25km radius of Suncorp than either a Moreton bay or Ipswich focussed club. It’s why I’m now lea int towards the Firehawks as the most likely to be successful in drawing a crowd.

Crowd avg in Sydney would argue differently. Where’s your tribalism when when 10k are turning up for penrith v Cronulla?
What year was that? Because it certainly isnt an average.
You choose to use the two Sydney teams who are the furthest apart, maybe try a xouple that are closer, just for credibilities sake, if you have any credibility that is.
Perth, the other side of earth - Ross Knight