What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane - No longer RL's no. 2 city

ali

Bench
If you were ranking cities of the world by number of Rugby League clubs / players, you would probably guess the list would have Sydney number 1, with Brisbane number 2. Well, I'd be interested to know how many teams and players there are in Brisbane. Because, I reckon Port Moresby may have overtaken them. The following article is about the Port Moresby South OFF SEASON RL comp. They have 72 teams in this off season comp. We have also read recently of 24 teams in the Port Moresby North East off season comp. I'm awaiting news of just how many other off season comps there are in Port Moresby.

THE renowned Kaugere Bulldogs team spirit was given a timely boost with a new set of uniforms yesterday.
This donation could bolster their current form in the tough Port Moresby South rugby league off-season competition.
After fruitless attempts at seeking sponsorship from various business houses, local businessman and staunch Bulldogs supporter Tete Serei stepped in to help out.
Serei did not like the look of his “home-boys” at their own oval playing without a proper uniform.
They are no longer the Koiriki dominated Gulf side that tormented teams of yesterday.
Although they don’t have that threatening look, they still have the flair and winning passion that made the Bulldogs a house hold name during the early 90s.
Now the Dogs are ready to bark louder and their bite will be even more ferocious as they continue to maintain their front-running in pool B.
The Doggies are leading after 10 wins, a draw and a loss in the 32-team competition.
The competition has a total of 72 teams split in two pools.

“We are really fortunate to have these uniforms as the finals are approaching. It will lift the spirit of the players,” club president Keisi Kiki said.
Kiki said as most of the players were unemployed they had been kept busy with rugby league since the competition started.
Vice captain Simon Kairi thanked the sponsor for the assistance and said all the players were looking forward to taking the field with the uniforms.
The club is made up of different ethnic groups living around the area and said it also contributed greatly towards harmony within the community.
Bulldogs key players include “Mangi Kopex” Ben Muli at five-eighth with his combination with slippery half-back Simon Kairi. Pacey fullback Levi Muri and hard-runners Michael Lakate, Thomas Tasa, veteran Robert “hard-man” Muri have give the doggies a new look.
Tomorrow the Bulldogs take on Badili Dudus in the 3pm game.
Tomorrow’s starting line-up: Levi Muri (fullback), Wason Roman (wing), Mark Kerry (centre), Jerry Alan (centre), Akis Koia (wing), Ben Muli (five-eight), Simon Kairi (half-back), Hobart Muri (prop), John Agibe (hooker), Michael Lakati (prop), Robert ‘hard-man’ Muri (second-row), Kay Nevin (second-row), John John (lock).

My unofficial list.

1. Sydney
2. Port Moresby
3. Brisbane
4. Auckland
5. Leeds-Bradford
6. Newcastle
7. Gold Coast
8. Canberra

???

ali

Bench
It's all urban from Leeds to Bradford. The cities have practically merged, and I think you'll find demographers in England consider them as 1 when ranking Britain's major urban conglomerates.

Could be wrong though.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Townsville and Wollongong would be close in that list, I dunno about Canberra. Gold Coast can only get higher.

vbfg

Juniors
ali said:
It's all urban from Leeds to Bradford. The cities have practically merged, and I think you'll find demographers in England consider them as 1 when ranking Britain's major urban conglomerates.

Could be wrong though.

You are and you aren't. They're part of the same urban sprawl but in other respects are very distinct places. Most of the UK is made up of governing bodies called county councils. Places within the same county, but seperate towns, usually have the same local authorities. In West Yorkshire this isn't the case. We have unitary authorities so all the places here: Leeds, Bradford, Kirklees (Huddersfield to rational people), Wakefield and Calderdale (Halifax to rational people) all have seperate local authorities of their own. They do their own taxation, their own local government, their own spending, they have their own boundaries, etc. They're seperate political entities.

What they are not however is seperate urban centres with huge tracts of land seperating them. You can go from the centre of any of those towns and cities to the centre of any of the others without passing so much as a field. Houses and urban areas all the way.The population of the whole lot is about three to four million I think, though I'm not entirely sure.

As economic centres they're seperate and linked. The hopes and wishes of the politicos in each town will define their own policies to do what they think best for the city in which they're in. They can't help being linked from their proximity to each other though. I don't accept that this makes them the same place. The same reasoning would also make France and the UK the same country.

Leeds and Bradford certainly aren't listed together though in any thing, except as places which happen to be in West Yorkshire.

I care btw. Not about who takes who over whoever, or whatever other perverted practises you Ocker weirdos get up to, but about the glory that is Bradford being lumped in with a bunch of Loiners.

hth,
vbfg.

vbfg

Juniors
btw, as RL cities it gets a whole lot weirder. Bradford play at the south western extremities of their own city for example. A mile or so to the south is the border with Huddersfield. A mile or so to the west is the border with Halifax. The area covered by the Bradford local authority though runs for another four miles to the east, where the border with Leeds is, and about another ten miles to the north. Hence you will see much bitching from Halifax and Hudds people about the Bulls nicking "their fans".

Knightmare

Coach
It beats alot of other threads I've seen lately. At least nobody has mentioned Sharks players or wingers yet.

choc_soldier

Coach
Places like cities in the north of England, and even Sydney / Central Coast / Newcastle / Wollongong / Blue Mountains are defined as "conurbations", which is a geographical term for a number of existing cities that through urban sprawl and infill development of the rural areas that exist between the cities, having almost merged together.

So ali's Leeds / Bradford call is close to the mark, IMO.

Just my 10 cents in this thread. :)

Knightmare

Coach
And there are towns like the one 30 kilometres south of here, which is the same town but it's split into Coolangatta and Tweed Heads for obvious reasons. Is it just me, or do you know you've hit Queensland when every second suburb has an Aboriginal name, and Victoria when every second place sounds like it was named by someone who was off their face?

Rexxy

Coach
Great post Ali.

PM has a population of 200,000 population but like everyone in PNG, they are league crazy...

DSC00219.jpg

aa2704e1.jpg

ParraFan_markets.jpg

Knightmare

Coach
That's a weird looking Parra jersey. I remember a few years ago in League Week (as it was known then) it had an article on League-mad PNG and it had a picture of a guy wearing a 1996 Chargers jersey with no sense of shame whatsoever :LOL: If I ever go to PNG, shotgun taking my 1981 Jets jumper and my 1995 Crushers jersey!

drake

First Grade
Great thread, hopefully one day we may see a Port Moresby side in the comp.
Maybe ORL (Oceania Rugby League).:LOL:
If we let the sheepshaggers in, I think we can let the PNGs in.

bender

Juniors
Typical Sydney arrogance. If you measure Port Moresby to be bigger than Brisbane (possible considering the criteria you use - Most likely player numbers and % of population interest) then there is no way that Sydney could hold out against Port Moresby. If that is the method you use, then it must look as follows:

1. Port Moresby
2. Townsville
3. Brisbane
4. Newcastle
5. Sydney

Wigan would also have gone very close to making the top 10, but may have dropped off now that their soccer team is going so good?

Rexxy

Coach
Knightmare, wear those jumpers up there and you would be treated like a Godess.

Bender -

there was talk that three would be a PNG team in the XXXX Cup soon...Wayne Bennett's brother is involved. Too bad the surname carries so much baggage and is more of a hinderance to any progressive events happing in league in the new Millennium.

Latest posts