What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane will play the WCC at Suncorp...

Ricardihno

Juniors
English Teams are getting better though....maybe if they had a 97 Style Set Up again they would get more wins...I am reflecting on 97 because apart from Wigans deserved win against Brisbane in what? 94?.( great effort ) no WCC Games were played when sides were full strength Mid Season and match fit....thats the point I'm raising...you have a better chance at getting a bigger spectacle if it was during the season....its just finding the right time...Pre Season ruins the concept...you want both sides to be at their best...thats my argument anyway

Ricardihno said:
English Teams are getting better though....maybe if they had a 97 Style Set Up again they would get more wins...I am reflecting on 97 because apart from Wigans deserved win against Brisbane in what? 94?.( great effort ) no WCC Games were played when sides were full strength Mid Season and match fit....thats the point I'm raising...you have a better chance at getting a bigger spectacle if it was during the season....its just finding the right time...Pre Season ruins the concept...you want both sides to be at their best...thats my argument anyway
No ones arguing that it wouldn't be better to have it mid-season when both sides are supposedly at their best. The problem is some people (ahem) think that if it can't be played under absolutely ideal circumstances it is a pointless excercise. I say it's still worth playing no matter when and where. The WCC games are among the best of the year and to do away with them just because the timing is not perfect is so typical of the attitude that has held rugby league back for so long.

Charge

Juniors
salivor said:
I seem to recall Brisbane going on a pub crawl sometime in the off-season in 2001, this must've been the result of it, nice pic though. Let's see how well Saints go in Australia in the middle of the Brisbane summer in front of a big Brisbane crowd. I don't need to remind you how well English sides have gone on Australian soil in the past, cricket scores are the norm I believe. There's a challenge for the boys, who can score more, Brisbane or Australia in the ashes.

Er... the last time an English team played an Aus team in a one off champ vs champ in Aus was when Wigan beat Brisbane in Brisbane in '93 or '94. :lol:

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Charge said:
Er... the last time an English team played an Aus team in a one off champ vs champ in Aus was when Wigan beat Brisbane in Brisbane in '93 or '94. :lol:

the broncos were in a form slump at that time as well......
yes it sounds like another excuse but ti's another reason the concept doesnt always work.

Had it been played mid year this year, or last year it could have been farcical too, as both the premeirs from the year before (dogs and tigers) were both struggling mid year.

there's no perfect time to play the game unless it's seen as a kinda 'superbowl' event which ity isnt. if it was seen as the be all and end all then 2 weeks after the gf would be the time to play it.

Even if the broncos flog saints, i'm still not gonna see it anything more than a glorified trial match

Mr Saab

Referee
Pierced Soul said:
Even if the broncos flog saints, i'm still not gonna see it anything more than a glorified trial match

Exactly.
If the Broncos win by 20 or lose by 20, the most important win was on the 1st sunday of October 2006.
Members of LU based in the UK can toss the salad all they like about this game, but it has f**k all meaning.

The NRL has f**k all meaning. Origin means nothing as well. Every game can mean nothing if you want to take that attitude. It meant something to the Roosters in 2003. They put in a huge effort and won and then promoted themselves as "World Champions" and good on them. I hope they do play and the Broncos get a flogging. That will take the shine off your NRL win even more. What's more funny is that for all your talk of not caring you guys will be desperately hoping the Broncos win. It's only when they don't that you'll be back here saying things like "glorified trial game" . It's pathetic. My club lost a WCC but only because they were beaten by a better side on the night. They tried hard and were beaten. I'm a rugby league supporter so I will always treat every game with respect, not talk it down just because I'm scared my precious team will lose. That's the kind of selfish club-centric attitude that is holding rugby league back. Even if they did decide to hold it mid-year, somehow, you guys would still find an excuse.

innsaneink

Referee
Just a few too many Broncos fans here saying they dont care imo.....I think ECT is on the money, broncos fans just preparing for a loss.
I cared last year, I wanted my team to win, but we didnt, theres always a winner and a loser and it sure as hell aint the end of the world....I want my team to win in any contest they play in, and for fans to say they dont care is imo a load of bollocks.

miccle

Bench
I'll put my hand up and say I care Ink.

A loss won't devastate me, I'll admit that, but it's something that I WANT to win. I want my club to be involved, I want my club to field the best possible line up and I want my club to win the WCC. Regardless of how it is viewed by people who think differently from me, I'd love to have the WCC trophy at Red Hill.

Mr Saab

Referee
East Tiger...The NRL has plenty of meaning. It is the best comp in the world...it is where players make their name...it has all the prestige.

No Ink, most of us dont care.
This is a glorified trial game and means nothing.
If they win, i wont be saying "we are the champions of the world...kiss my butt"...No.
My attention will always be on the 1st Sunday of Oct 2006. Always has, always will.

miccle said:
I'll put my hand up and say I care Ink.

A loss won't devastate me, I'll admit that, but it's something that I WANT to win. I want my club to be involved, I want my club to field the best possible line up and I want my club to win the WCC. Regardless of how it is viewed by people who think differently from me, I'd love to have the WCC trophy at Red Hill.

Good attitude to have. Why aren't there more Broncos supporters like you?

miccle

Bench
East Coast Tiger said:
Good attitude to have. Why aren't there more Broncos supporters like you?

Most Broncos supporters are great imo... I just don't know why I'm in the minority on this issue. Meh, I see it as important.

I also don't understand the "what if our starts get injured" mentality. Why don't coaches just rest all the stars for the last six weeks of the season if they have already made the eight? They could get injured and miss the finals... but you just don't do it. You should aim to always field your best possible line up in every match because victories are important, and injuries are just the luck of the draw.

JW

Coach
East Coast Tiger said:
Why aren't there more Broncos supporters like you?

Probably a bit hard to judge a team's supporters based on the views of half a dozen or so LU posters.

For the record though, I believe the WCC in it's current format always has and always will be farcical to a degree for what I think are obvious reasons - despite which team wins. Boths sides of the argument have valid points.

Nonetheless, come kick-off i'll be hoping for a win just like any other game. Even if it's just to shut the Poms up :lol: