What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos/Cowboys rivalry

Last Week

Bench
We hear about this whole big brother vs little brother thing, but where is the rivalry? There's the yearly big crowd at Suncorp for this supposed rivalry between the two, but are we going to see it this week?

This week should be the pinnacle of the supposed rivalry, but so far it's just been a maroon love in. Is it even a real rivalry? Can it be one?

Where's the passion Queenslanders?

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
The atmosphere round one of the Finals was awesome, very tense.

The rivalry is there, its just not a hate filled rivalry. I definitely do not want to lose, nor does any Broncos fan. But losing to the Cowboys would be a much easier thing to come to grips with as opposed to say, Manly. I guarantee you that there will be atmosphere there between fans and both sets will want to win, big time.

However, there will not be the fights, riots, flares etc. Queenslanders tend not to be so full of hate like our southern countrymen.

DiegoNT

First Grade
There isn't much rivalry.. yet!
All my bronco and Cowboys supporting friends have the attitude that 'even of we lose, at least it's to another Queensland team' but i think that that attitude will change for the losing side on Sunday night , and the hate will start creeping in.

Vic Mackey

Referee
It's not a rivalry. There's more rivalry in your average park oztag game than cowboy v bronco games

Saint Doc

Coach
I wouldn't call them rivals at all. They're the two biggest clubs in rugby league's second best state. So they feel like they're playing family. If we played the sharks or Dogs, or if you had parra/dogs, easts/Souths etc in a grand final...well in saints case I would be worried sick, as the thought of losing a GF to sharks or dogs is incomprehensible, it's sickening. I'd rather not be there than to lose to one of them.

This supposed Queensland rivalry...I wouldn't be surprised if the players and fans all link arms and sing Kumbaya after the game

Vic Mackey

Referee
I wouldn't call them rivals at all. They're the two biggest clubs in rugby league's second best state. So they feel like they're playing family. If we played the sharks or Dogs, or if you had parra/dogs, easts/Souths etc in a grand final...well in saints case I would be worried sick, as the thought of losing a GF to sharks or dogs is incomprehensible, it's sickening. I'd rather not be there than to lose to one of them.

This supposed Queensland rivalry...I wouldn't be surprised if the players and fans all link arms and sing Kumbaya after the game

Pretty much.

It wouldn't surprise me if they're like the F1 teams. Qld team number 2 is leading with 5 minutes to go, the QRL makes the call, QLD team number 2 lays down and let's QLD team number 1 take the lead late to win.

Danish

Referee
There is no rivalry at all. The cowboys and broncos have more rivalry with the other 14 teams in the comp than they do with each other.

If you had asked any broncos fan at the start of the season to pick the team they'd most like to win the premiership if they didn't, they'd say the cowboys. Same with cowboys fans about the broncos. That would absolutely NEVER happen if there were any rivalry between the 2 clubs

some11

Referee
Part of it probably stems from most Broncos fans being mates with Cowboys fans and visa versa up here.

Derbies are more about the quality of the game rather than fans hating each other.

mave

Coach
Super League vs Super League mid strength.

Anyway you dice it, it still tastes like cats's piss

Bronco18

Juniors
LU's NSW contingent finding new and creative ways to pay out the Broncos and Cowboys after they comfortably accounted for all opposition.

If you had asked any broncos fan at the start of the season to pick the team they'd most like to win the premiership if they didn't, they'd say the cowboys. Same with cowboys fans about the broncos. That would absolutely NEVER happen if there were any rivalry between the 2 clubs

Very wrong, there are only 2 teams I hate more than NQ and that's Melbourne & Gold Coast.

I also guarantee that pretty much every Cowboys fan on here hates Brisbane.

chigurh

Very wrong, there are only 2 teams I hate more than NQ and that's Melbourne & Gold Coast.

I also guarantee that pretty much every Cowboys fan on here hates Brisbane.

That's a good point.

Also, Brisbane/NQ games draw bigger crowds and a better atmosphere than the overwhelming majority of Sydney crowds year in, year out. So I guess it comes down to how the individual defines 'rivalry'.

blaza88z

Coach
I would call it a derby but not a rivalry, there's no genuine hate outside of the normal anti-Brisbane agenda must fans outside of Brisbane seem to carry around

tomdl

Bench
Rivalries would develop and hate would grow deeper if there were more Queensland teams and maybe a few more non NSW teams. The us (qld teams) vs them (NSW teams) mentality is still very prevalent amongst the Broncos and Cowboys fans I personally know. Although the broncs aren't the Cows fans 2nd favourite team like the cows are to a lot on Broncos fans. I don't know any of the 7 titans fans so not sure about them.

Latest posts