What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos do their numbers!

Kingytek

Juniors
Daily Tele said:
Broncos target Marshall, Prince
By Dean Ritchie
September 16, 2005

BATTLING Brisbane are preparing to test out possible defensive weaknesses of Wests Tigers halves Benji Marshall and Scott Prince in Sunday's elimination final.

The Daily Telegraph has compiled a dossier on both stars who can be suspect in defence.

Brisbane will throw numbers at Marshall - with and without the ball - in defence.

The theory is Marshall does get his shoulder into tackles but can get caught reading numbers and can become confused.

By defending on the right side, Marshall will confront Brisbane star Darren Lockyer, who generally attacks on the left side.

Lockyer will throw long cut-out passes and have players running either side into holes.

Prince, who defends on the left side, is not physically dominant and tends to leap or jump into tackles.

With both feet off the ground, Prince can be pushed off through a lack of balance.

"They'll try and isolate me on the edge, I expect Brad Thorn and Tonie Carroll to be coming my way," Prince said yesterday.

"They did it to us in the first round, they worked us over up the middle and dragged other defenders in. "That's when they come at us guys on the edge when we're a bit exposed.

"In that round one game they had us covered all over the park.

"With the size of their forward pack, they'll target us up the middle."

Brisbane showed this week they are ready to physically dominate the Wests Tigers by bringing into training the club's former hitman Peter Ryan.

Ryan urged Brisbane's forwards to turn up the aggression and test their smaller Wests Tigers rivals.

Ryan, fellow tough guy Andrew Gee, champion halfback Allan Langer and retired Origin five-eighth Ben Ikin all trained with the side with the emphasis on defence.

Brisbane's pack, led by 112kg giants Thorn and Shane Webcke, weighs in at a combined 622kg or 38kg more than the Wests Tigers who give away just over six kilograms a player up front.

"If you can belt them with defence early they could tend to go missing later in the game," said Ryan.

"It's about getting off the defensive line
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,16615453-23214,00.html

A team can do as many stats and figures they want but in the end, no amount of numbers and stats can stop a youthful team with bucketloads of enthusiasm, plenty of skill and nothing to lose.
Im not saying Tigers will win the GF(although I hope they do) I just think compared against the out of form ageing broncos who clearly ran out of steam 5 weeks before the semis started have no hope of containing the youthful tigers. I just hope the shalacking they gave cowboys didnt go to their heads.

Go Tigers!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Something tells me this will be a close game, and the Tigers tend to fall over in tight ones so I really do think Brisbane will knock the fairytale out.

Kingytek

Juniors
dodge said:
Something tells me this will be a close game, and the Tigers tend to fall over in tight ones so I really do think Brisbane will knock the fairytale out.

Ahh very true!
But remember this is finals football. Anything is possible!

hybrid_tiger

Coach
dodge said:

You've just guaranteed us a win.

:lol:

Mr Saab

Referee
Brisbane need to dominate early and continue with that they did last week...offload!

Kiwi

First Grade
Kingytek

That article doesn't really talk about stats and figures, apart from mentioning the difference in pack size the only numbers it talks about are players running at Prince and Marshall.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Kingytek said:
Ahh very true!
But remember this is finals football. Anything is possible!

'tis true

Hard to believe a year ago I was at Aussie thinking "a year ago we beat the Storm here" and then that day they nailed them even more :lol:

Kingytek

Juniors
Kiwi said:
Kingytek

That article doesn't really talk about stats and figures, apart from mentioning the difference in pack size the only numbers it talks about are players running at Prince and Marshall.

Yeap, your right! Your point?
I was referencing......
Brisbane will throw numbers at Marshall - with and without the ball - in defence.
The theory is Marshall does get his shoulder into tackles but can get caught reading numbers and can become confused.
By defending on the right side, Marshall will confront Brisbane star Darren Lockyer, who generally attacks on the left side.
Lockyer will throw long cut-out passes and have players running either side into holes.
Prince, who defends on the left side, is not physically dominant and tends to leap or jump into tackles.

It doesnt take a scientist to workout Bronco's (as every club does) is working out game tactics and they are focusing on numbers and past trends.

smeghead

Bench
It s the beauty of finals football I think.

In the end this game will not come down to size or indvidual brilliance (although both will play their part) I think it will come down to which team turns up and plays for each other will win this one

jimmy_pop

Juniors
Are you merkins dumb? Those aren't the tactics the Broncos are actually gonna use. they just publicized it to fool the tigers player coach and the rest of the crew. They'll definatley come up with something different.

jimmy_pop said:
Are you merkins dumb? Those aren't the tactics the Broncos are actually gonna use. they just publicized it to fool the tigers player coach and the rest of the crew. They'll definatley come up with something different.

Yeah, they're not going to run their big forwards at our halves, they're going to stand in the centre of the field making "woop woop" noises.

Mr Saab

Referee
jimmy_pop said:

are you that dumb Slava?

Raiders Plight

Juniors
jimmy_pop said:

I don't think the most experienced coach in the NRL is going to be "fooled". I'm looking forward to what strategy sheensy uses for the big broncos pack.

Smartman

Juniors
The tigers will win, too much attacking flair.

Although the broncos defense is solid, their attack has been non existant lately and Lockyer doesnt perform well under pressure (this coming from his coach)

Tigers by 14

Saint 60

Juniors
could go either way....i wouldnt be putting the house on either one -
this is going to be a good finals game and is what the finals are all about..

lets just hope the ref has a good game lol

All week, I have thought the Tigers were almost good things, but I'm starting to lean the other way a touch. This should be a cracker!!!