What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos Offseason

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I remember reading somewhere that Berryman was going to train with the Broncos (don't remember where and it could possibly have been on a Broncos forum :p).

But I would find it very strange for the Broncos to just now put up his profile if he wasn't training with the Broncs.

I rate him as a finisher too,

broncos2010

Juniors
Really starting wonder how they are going to fit norman,wallace,hoffman and prince all in the same team especially if hodges goes to play fullback which he should as lets face it hoffman is not going to win us many games at fullback on his own brilliant skills.

I also think anyone who thinks that prince is not a sure starter is kidding themselves he has that 6 wrapped all up with wallace at 7. So either norman plays centre or he is playing qld cup next season I think.

To those that suggested that copley play centre please remember of how bad he can be at times just on the wing.

Big Pete

Referee
Wrote this on BHQ but thought I'd post it here if anyone was curious about some of the new faces in the 2013 line-up.

Joe Bond, 24, is a livewire utility back in the similar vein as Barba & Bowen. Bond has been apart of the Q-Cup scene since 2009 when he debuted for Norths in 09 as an impact player off the bench before he found his way in the starting line-up as a fullback. In 2011 he was recruited by the Dolphins where he displayed his versatility by playing reasonably well in the five eigth position. When Justin Hunt departed to South Sydney in 2012, Bond was able to return to his preferred fullback position where he was able to pick his moments better, allowing Redcliffe to become one of the best attacking units in Queensland Cup history. He's one of those players that has plenty of gifts but his size and inconsistensy has prevented clubs from taking a serious punt on him. His form last year was too good to ignore and he gives the Broncos a serious pace option.

Delroy Berryman, 22, is a handy finisher who earned his opportunity after an impressive 2012 season where he scored 18 tries from 21 games for the Dolphins. Made his debut in 2011 but didn't really make an impact this year and that reign of form and the Broncos shortage in the backs has given him the opportunity this pre-season.

Liam Georgetown, 27, is another Dolphin's back who's been rewarded with a pre-season trial spot. Georgetown has been playing Q-Cup since 04 and has been apart of the Dolphins system since 03 but hasn't enjoyed as good a season as 2012 where he scored a remarkable 318 points. Isn't exactly a stranger to first grade as he made his debut for Penrith in 07, ironically against the Broncos during the Origin season. Interested to see if he gets another shot just to see whether or not the NRL will classify him as a rookie. A solid depth option who could come in handy during the representative season.

Jake Granville, 23, honestly don't understand how this guy hasn't been picked up by an NRL club sooner. He's been one of the most lethal players in reserves period since he made his debut in 09 and is very handy out of dummy half, rivaling Baptiste as one of the best runners at this level. Originally was apart of the Broncos 09 NYC squad but couldn't displace Baptiste so he drifted back to Wynnum where he quickly made their first grade side. Unsure if he's first grade standard but definitely think he'd be a better reserve hooking option than Capewell.

Chris McLean, 21, is the former NYC North Queensland Cowboy skipper who lead them to a grand final in 2011. Has a stocky build which prevented him from initially making the transition from NYC to First grade but has enough talent to be a handy depth forward. I thought his form at the back end really propelled Norths to an unlikely finals berth.

Cam Cullen, 19, former Schoolboys halfback who's been unlucky with injuries. Shows promise with the ball but unfortunately doesn't have a lot of size about him which makes him a target in defence. Don't think he'll be able to make the transition but really hope this experience can help him lead the NYC Broncos next season.

Francis Molo, 18, is our best front row forward coming through. Despite nursing a reconstructed shoulder for half the year, Molo was able to capture the NYC Player of the year award after a barnstorming collection of performances that saw him force his way into the side. Has first grade written all over him but needs to polish his game (mostly discipline) before he becomes a constant feature. Wouldn't be surprise to see him make his debut next year.

Corey Oates, 18, is a try scoring freak who's been apart of the Broncos system since he was at least 15. Wouldn't be surprised to see him come in as Te'o's replacement, his work on the fringe in terms of pure quality was the best I've seen and despite his inexperience he showed some really level-headed thinking in the NYC which I personally found impressive. Will take awhile to see him make an impact but he's definitely one to watch.

Caleb Timu, 18, our most recognised NYC 2012 player. Like Oates, Timu was a try scoring machine who combined his size and foot-work to barge over for 19 tries, a record for any Broncos forward at that level. Comes from a Union background where he cherry-picked by the Broncos and has all the tools to become a superstar after starring at all junior levels. Doesn't have the level-headiness of Oates and needs to work on a few issues, especially defence but long term Timu is one to watch.

broncos2010

Juniors
Pete how did anthony milford get missed by our youth recruitment.

Guy has serious skill and will be something to watch in a couple years in the NRL.

Big Pete

Referee
Milford came through Souths which has been Raiders territory since the Broncos even existed. They took a punt on him when he was 12 and the risk paid off really.

Big Pete

Referee
Broncos have announced an affiliation with the Ipswich Jets.

That's a good move, hopefully we can make better usage of it than the Titans did. It seemed like the Roosters took all the best talent from right under their nose.

Wonder if Lingers can get another opportunity?

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I hope Wallace does not play 5-8, he is too slow.

I think the halves combination has to be 7. Wallace, 6. Prince or 7. Prince, 6. Norman. I'd prefer the latter.

In other news, there is an article on the couriermail site that says Kahu is ready to play in the trials. Finally a bit of good news for the guy.

Chainshada

Juniors
I always thought Anderson had good hands, his only problem was he couldn't force himself into a good position to offload the way Corey does, he just runs to the line, gets wrapped up and falls down.

If a couple of extra kg helps him do that, then I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do next year.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
I always thought Anderson had good hands, his only problem was he couldn't force himself into a good position to offload the way Corey does, he just runs to the line, gets wrapped up and falls down.

If a couple of extra kg helps him do that, then I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do next year.

Ball skills has never really been the issue for Anderson - it's the way he gets consistently dominated when he either takes on the line or tries to tackle. Who knows, maybe adding a few kegs will do the trick, but I don't carry high expectations. Thank Christ McG stepped it up when he did, otherwise last season would have been a lot more painful to watch.

Big Pete

Referee
I originally interpreted Chainsy's post to mean Sanderson rarely makes mistakes and I nearly popped a blood vessel.

unbreaK

Juniors
I wouldn't read too much into it, pretty sure he means he just wants to catch up with him, not move to Newcastle with him.

ShaneO85

Juniors
Broncos have announced an affiliation with the Ipswich Jets.

That's a good move, hopefully we can make better usage of it than the Titans did. It seemed like the Roosters took all the best talent from right under their nose.

Wonder if Lingers can get another opportunity?

The roosters picked up a lot of Ipswich Juniors because they had a development agreement with the IJRL.

With the new broncos deal it means that all 3 major rugby league bodies in Ipswich are all aligned with the one NRL organisation for the first time.

I can only see that as a positive for the Bronco's. I hate the idea of the best talent from our own backyard having to head south.

Big Pete

Referee
Now if only we could muscle the Raiders out from Logan we'd be set.

Looks like they've picked up the best crop of talent in Milford, Kent, Lee & Bateman. The first 3 really hurt too because backs are where we're really struggling.

Appreciate the 411 on the Ipswich deal, Shane.

Last edited:

jakepearce94

Juniors
Luke Dalziel-Don has been added to the Broncos profile page.
that's a good signing. quite a good player, and we don't have many speciallist locks too be honest. corey parker is pretty much the only speciallist lock we have. i really want the club to get te reo back. geez i think that kid has some talent.

Latest posts