What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos Recruitment

Nightward

Juniors
Welp, Hunt's apparently being shopped around.

Seems to confirm my theory from earlier. Shamble through this year with Hunt and/or Marshall, then make a big-money play for Ash Taylor or Keiran Foran for 2018.

League guru

Juniors
Is there any truth in the rumour that Bennett is considering signing Korbin Sims. Even for free you wouldn't entertain him. It's amazing that it's never the player but always the club, he needs to look at his lack of ability and discipline.

DeeJ

Bench
Apparently we are making a big play for Jack Bird, over 1 million a season.

He is a great player but I'm not sure if he is worth that much yet and not worth that for us. I can't see a balanced side with he and Milford in the halves, and Darius is untested at 5/8th.

If we are offering that kind of big money, why not to Kieren Foran?

Bronco18

Juniors
Bird would surely play 5/8th ahead of Boyd? Boyd's defensive work at fullback is second to none.

In any case, I don't like the combination of Milf/Bird. Milford would have to majorly up his organisational ability.

DeeJ

Bench
Bird would surely play 5/8th ahead of Boyd? Boyd's defensive work at fullback is second to none.

In any case, I don't like the combination of Milf/Bird. Milford would have to majorly up his organisational ability.

Just saw a note in another thread suggesting Boyd was offering to move to the halves. Either way, Bird isn't the greatest fit and not for that amount of money.

RazorRam0n

Juniors
i've always envied the broncos for making smart logical decisions....this one is pretty much WTF and not the first lately from bennett.

chigurh

bennett is already talking about how he'll accomodate bird in the spine and how he'll adjust milf and boyds game IF bird signs

Where did you hear that?

The only comment I have seen from Bennett on this topic basically suggested the exact opposite?

“I’m interested in Jack Bird,” Bennett told The Courier-Mail on Tuesday.

“We’re interested, just like Newcastle or Cronulla. Jack Bird is a quality football player and he’s young.”

Asked if Milford would be moved to halfback to partner Bird in the halves, Bennett said: “No, that’s not been thought of or discussed.

Bronco18

Juniors
From reading the paper, they suggested he'd be a ball playing lock.

Which while kind of interesting, is still big money to throw on a kid AND goes against the grain of lock playing a running role like a prop nowadays. If he bulked up a bit he could potentially play like G. Bird I guess.

So in other words, still undecided on next year's half.

hellteam

First Grade
Bird is a good player and has the ability to be as good as someone like Fittler/Daley one day. Seems to be a player without a best position at the moment, like those wto.

But I still think halfback and 5/8 are difference roles.

Kicking game is my biggest concern

Bird is a good player and has the ability to be as good as someone like Fittler/Daley one day. Seems to be a player without a best position at the moment, like those wto.

But I still think halfback and 5/8 are difference roles.

Kicking game is my biggest concern
And passing. He needs to workout forward and backward. Will be a bit better after that.

Kid has a short career span with his medical condition, so hope he makes the best of this deal

Nightward

Juniors
I don't get why they went after Bird.

Opacic didn't do anything to harm his chances of a full-time gig last year, Kahu and Nikorima can play Centre, and we already have Roberts and Moga.

How many outside backs do we need? If the Broncos were going to put big money on the table they should have gone after Foran or a prop-forward. Those are the positions we really need filled.

Bronco18

Juniors
Prop forwards aren't our concern anymore, I think TPJ and Esse Esse have levelled us up with opposition packs. A half that can kick and organise a team is what we need.

Which makes Bird a head scratcher. No way we shell out that money to play him at centre. For mine he either plays lock or 5/8th.

If he plays 5/8th, Milford goes to halfback. Milford is still young and ~could~ develop the skills I mentioned but he hasn't shown much there. If anything that responsibility could detract from his strengths and at 5/8th I feel he has that freedom to run first. Bird playing fullback and Boyd moving to 5/8th creates the same issue but with the extra teething problems of Bird learning the positional play at fullback which Boyd has mastered.

If he plays lock, he'd have to beef up in the off season. With his arthritis, there might be a question over whether that is even possible. Then there's an issue of us giving away a lot of size in our pack with a creative type lock while the trend these days seems to be another prop forward playing there (Taumalolo, Klemmer, McGuire). Glenn plays in the middle for us and is small (albeit coming off the bench), and Greg Bird played with a bit of free reign at lock so there's some precedence.

With any luck, Nikorima finds his feet in the next 5 or so rounds at halfback and demands his selection there. If not, next year might be an interim one where we wait for Ash Taylor (or whoever we can get) to come off contract and make do with two 5/8ths.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Kicking is the key skill. Broncos won a premiership with Perry at halfback because Lockyer could do most of the kicking. It doesn't matter who they put in at 5/8 or half if neither of them can master a deep clearing kick.

The last tackle kicks from Hunt and Milf over the last few seasons have been less than inspiring. Lockyer was able to get them out of trouble on the last tackle every time. There's no confidence these two can do that with kicks.

Latest posts