What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos Recruitment

Big Pete

Referee
I don't rate Drinkwater either. Solid half, nothing more. We've got Riccardi playing for Norths who in my mind is at least on par if not better.

Wouldn't want Reynolds on the price tag he'd be asking. I think he's overachieved at the Bulldogs and lacks the skills we need.

Think we should target somebody younger like we did when we signed Wallace.

Leaguefan22

Juniors
We actually have a promising young halfback - his name is Ben Hunt but he doesn't get picked. This is despite showing real playmaking ability and creativity everytime he's had an opportunity. Hook doesn't see it that way though. He prefers safety first halves. This was evidenced in a game against Canberra last year where Hunt looked dangerous early, but failed to find touch on a kick and was pulled from the field.

I would have thought a smart NRL club would be giving every opportunity to any halfback that showed even a small sign of creativity. It's the most valuable and rare commodity in the NRL. There are number of guys in the Wallace, Pearce, Walsh mode. Solid players who can kick and organise a team. But I can think of very few who are natural playmakers. Ask the NSW Origin team - they've been trying to find one for 7 years.

I'm not sure Josh Reynolds fits this bill either. To me he's a bit like Corey Norman - a nice complimentary player who can chime in with classy touches, but not the guy to drive your whole team forward. I rate Lyon very highly and think Dugan is a classy player, but neither of them are dominant playmakers. Neither will take us to a premiership.

For this reason I don't want to see us waste money on another player who can't take the weight of the whole team. I understand there are no Thurston or Cherry Evans level players on the market but we should be investing in young players who might have the potential to one day fill this role. We need a true playmaker. Ben Hunt might fail, but at least he's shown some promise in this area. What more could you ask from a 22 year old?

Kiwi

First Grade
Letting Gillett go would be a massive fail.
I just don't think we should go all out to retain him. He isn't doing the job and seems to be there because of what he can do not what he is doing. Backrow is our strongest position. We have so much talenf there and coming through. I would rather see us strengthen where we need to and lose Gillett who is testing the market than go all out and keep him but lose young talent again and still be to weak in other positions.

Chainshada

Juniors
I see 2 problems with Gillett recently, first that he's starting, would much rather see him coming off the bench when Thaiday needs a rest..and secondly, he needs to be running lines into gaps, partially his fault, mostly the halves..they keep running him into brick walls..and as we've seen over and over..he gets knocked on his arse every time. He's good at breaking free of tackles and making half breaks, but he can't do that when Wallace/Prince run him into 3 defenders every damn time.

TheWave

Juniors
We actually have a promising young halfback - his name is Ben Hunt but he doesn't get picked. This is despite showing real playmaking ability and creativity everytime he's had an opportunity. Hook doesn't see it that way though. He prefers safety first halves. This was evidenced in a game against Canberra last year where Hunt looked dangerous early, but failed to find touch on a kick and was pulled from the field.

I would have thought a smart NRL club would be giving every opportunity to any halfback that showed even a small sign of creativity. It's the most valuable and rare commodity in the NRL. There are number of guys in the Wallace, Pearce, Walsh mode. Solid players who can kick and organise a team. But I can think of very few who are natural playmakers. Ask the NSW Origin team - they've been trying to find one for 7 years.

I'm not sure Josh Reynolds fits this bill either. To me he's a bit like Corey Norman - a nice complimentary player who can chime in with classy touches, but not the guy to drive your whole team forward. I rate Lyon very highly and think Dugan is a classy player, but neither of them are dominant playmakers. Neither will take us to a premiership.

For this reason I don't want to see us waste money on another player who can't take the weight of the whole team. I understand there are no Thurston or Cherry Evans level players on the market but we should be investing in young players who might have the potential to one day fill this role. We need a true playmaker. Ben Hunt might fail, but at least he's shown some promise in this area. What more could you ask from a 22 year old?

Great post and agree with all of it

unbreaK

Juniors
I'd be signing Dugan asap and then focusing all the budget on finding a new half for when Prince retires or when Hook realises that Wallace is garbage.

Milford springs to mind.

beads6

First Grade
Lyon?? Isn't he in his 30's? No thanks

Michael Morgan would be a very good option. I'd like to keep Gillett. I think he has started the season well. He would do much better if the team structure was sorted out. I don't want to pay him big money but I think he is a must keep. Getting rid of Reed and Wallace would be good.

unbreaK

Juniors
Lyon?? Isn't he in his 30's? No thanks

Michael Morgan would be a very good option. I'd like to keep Gillett. I think he has started the season well. He would do much better if the team structure was sorted out. I don't want to pay him big money but I think he is a must keep. Getting rid of Reed and Wallace would be good.

+1

I think we've gotta keep Gillett, we already lost a few of our up-and-comers in the last couple of seasons (Norman, Beale, T'eo, Frei) Don't think we can afford to lose yet another.

Players off-contract at the end of the 2013 season:

Scott Anderson
Kurt Baptiste
Delroy Berryman
Joe Bond
Luke Capewell
Dale Copley
Cameron Cullen
Luke Dalziel-Don
Mitchell Dodds
Liam Georgetown
Brendon Gibb
Matt Gillett
Jake Granville
Ben Hunt
Jordan Kahu
Denan Kemp
Dunamis Lui
Lachlan Maranta
Chris McLean
Francis Molo
Corey Oates
Jack Reed
Nick Slyney
Caleb Timu
Jarrod Wallace
Aaron Whitchurch

Out of those I think the priority re-signings should be; Baptiste, Berryman, Bond, Copley, Dodds, Gillett, Granville, Hunt, Kahu, Maranta, Molo, Oates, Timu, Whitchurch

whykickamoocow

Juniors
+1

Players off-contract at the end of the 2013 season:

Scott Anderson
Kurt Baptiste
Delroy Berryman
Joe Bond
Luke Capewell
Dale Copley
Cameron Cullen
Luke Dalziel-Don
Mitchell Dodds
Liam Georgetown
Brendon Gibb
Matt Gillett
Jake Granville
Ben Hunt
Jordan Kahu
Denan Kemp
Dunamis Lui
Lachlan Maranta
Chris McLean
Francis Molo
Corey Oates
Jack Reed
Nick Slyney
Caleb Timu
Jarrod Wallace
Aaron Whitchurch

Out of those I think the priority re-signings should be; Baptiste, Berryman, Bond, Copley, Dodds, Gillett, Granville, Hunt, Kahu, Maranta, Molo, Oates, Timu, Whitchurch

I wouldn't make Dodds a priority signing. He fits into the same category as Wallace and Reed. In other words he's as useful as a shit flavoured lollipop. I'd be giving Gibb or J.Wallace a go before Dodds, I just don't see the use for a prop that makes 2 hit ups for 3m a game.

unbreaK

Juniors
I wouldn't make Dodds a priority signing. He fits into the same category as Wallace and Reed. In other words he's as useful as a shit flavoured lollipop. I'd be giving Gibb or J.Wallace a go before Dodds, I just don't see the use for a prop that makes 2 hit ups for 3m a game.

Yeah, I must admit I only added him in there because he gets chosen ahead of the likes of Gibb and J.Wallace, I don't rate him highly at all, I think Hala is 100x better

DeeJ

Bench
If the Broncos really wanted to we could easily get a young half and there are plenty of good ones at the moment, some of which can't get a start with their team. I would prefer to give Ben Hunt a chance (a game around origin isn't enough opportunity).

Otherwise look at this list:

Chad Townsend
Tyrone Roberts
Sam Williams
Josh Reynolds

and guys that had success in the u/20's like Drinkwater and Milford who aren't playing NRL atm.

unbreaK

Juniors
I do rate Sam Williams a lot actually, wouldn't mind him in the slightest, he'd be an upgrade on Wallace with 100x more improvement to come.

Kiwi

First Grade
Kurt Baptiste
Dale Copley
Brendon Gibb
Jake Granville
Ben Hunt
Jordan Kahu
Denan Kemp
Lachlan Maranta
Francis Molo
Corey Oates
Jack Reed
Caleb Timu
Jarrod Wallace
Aaron Whitchurch

These are the players I would like to see re-signed now. Gillett can be added to the list as long as we don't have to pay a lot to keep him.

qld aussie

Juniors
Tomkins would be AMAZING.

He's scored 118 tries in 132 matches for Wigan, and he just turned 24, can play the 1, 6 or 7.

Your taalking about a completely different league in ozsratlia they actually move forward to tackle. I like Tomkins but think he would be much more limited in NRL.

Latest posts