What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos vs Canberra on Saturday

Kiwi

First Grade
Evergreen said:
He's a massive part of our team, but our poor form in the last few weeks is due to Schifcofske and Woolford being injured/suspended long term as well.

It's a clean slate for the Raiders this weekend, our fittest team since the Panthers in round 9, and our run to September will start with you blokes ;)

Raiders by 10.

The Raiders do stand a chance, but only because Lockyer, Berrigan, Petero, Carroll, McGuire, Carlaw and Thorn wont be playing.

If the Raiders can't win this weekend with that many Broncos out, then even if the Raiders make the finals, they'll only be there to make up the numbers.

Mad Dogg

Juniors
I expect Hunt to step up in the abscence of Lockyer. I noticed it last year, when Locky wasn't playing Hunt got himself more involved with the playmaking. It's actually exactly like what Locky used to do when he was younger, when the halves were firing he'd happily take a back seat and just play more like a normal fullback. It was only when the halves were struggling a bit that he'd step up and take more control of the action.

Kiwi

First Grade
The fact Bennett kept using Hunt at 6 in the trials says Hunt will play 6 minus Lockyer.

Paullyboy

Coach
Id love to see Parf get a run, Im a bit surprised all you blokes are picking it to happen. He was worried he'd done his chances for good last year.

Kiwi

First Grade
Paullyboy said:
Id love to see Parf get a run, Im a bit surprised all you blokes are picking it to happen. He was worried he'd done his chances for good last year.

Parfitt is a good fullback but ordinary winger, wont get many chances at the Broncos with Hunt, Hodges and McGuire all ahead of him.

If I was the Rabbitohs or Knights, i'd make Parfitt a key signing. Very safe, can find his way to the try line and kick goals.

Paullyboy

Coach
Yeah I know kiwi, I know him.

The Tigers offered him a fairly large contract considering his experience level 2 years ago and he knocked back.

So its not as easy as just offering him money, he is one of the few footy players who has his head switched on and therefore is looking at the bigger picture.

broncoman

Juniors
Canberra Raiders vs Brisbane Broncos
Saturday, June 11, Canberra Stadium
Kickoff: 5.30pm

Broncos: Karmichael Hunt; Steve Michaels, Justin Hodges, Brent Tate, Leon Bott; Stuart Kelly, Brett Seymour; Darren Smith, Neville Costigan, David Stagg; Corey Parker, Barry Berrigan, Shane Webcke.
Interchange: Darren Mapp, Berrick Barnes, Sam Thaiday, Tom Learoyd-Lahrs.

why oh why does kelly have to be starting 5/8

Ghoulies

Bench
Hes actually been doing quite well for the Clydies, but I'd still much rather see Barnes given the whole 80 mins to prove himself.

On a positive note, it's great to see Michaels get his shot after a pretty impressive half-season in the QLD cup.

Mr Saab

Referee
i expect Hunt to play a big role in attack., Much like when Lockyer was fullback in defence and 5/8 in attack. Kelly has as much attack in him as a pee shooter.
Brisbane minus kelly win by 10
Brisbane with kelly win by 1 in extra time with 10 secs left!

ethos

Live Update Team
Thrilled to see Stephen Michaels in the side. He's fast, can draw and pass but also has a damn fine running game and is pretty elusive. Not to put too many raps on him but he's a very classy centre/winger already. Can't wait to see Hodges set this guy up.

And to those critising Kelly, he was never a winger. He was always played out of position. Kelly's either a five-eighth or centre. I remember one game he played at centre for us a few years ago. Had an outstanding game. I'm not going to say he's been playing great for Toowoomba because I haven't seen him play but I'm comfident he will play a very good game this weekend in his prefered position.

I can't wait for the match, perhaps the most excited I've been before a Broncos game this year. Love the impact off the bench too; Thaiday, Learoyd-Lahrs and Barnes!

Ghoulies

Bench
ethos said:
Thrilled to see Stephen Michaels in the side. He's fast, can draw and pass but also has a damn fine running game and is pretty elusive. Not to put too many raps on him but he's a very classy centre/winger already. Can't wait to see Hodges set this guy up.

And to those critising Kelly, he was never a winger. He was always played out of position. Kelly's either a five-eighth or centre. I remember one game he played at centre for us a few years ago. Had an outstanding game. I'm not going to say he's been playing great for Toowoomba because I haven't seen him play but I'm comfident he will play a very good game this weekend in his prefered position.

I can't wait for the match, perhaps the most excited I've been before a Broncos game this year. Love the impact off the bench too; Thaiday, Learoyd-Lahrs and Barnes!

I agree with pretty much all of that. I've got big raps on Michaels and I really hope he can impress, even if it worsens our current selection headache with Hodges, Tate and Minto.

Though I would have preferred to see Barnes get a run, I'm confident Kelly can step up to the plate and deliver plenty of good ball to our outside men.

Striker

Juniors
I think easing barnes into matches from the bench is the best way to introduce him to the nrl. He will probably come on for Barry Berrigan and play a dummy half role. Stu kelly at 5/8 is a very smart choice. He has been playing well there for the toowoomba side and he has a lot of first grade experience. Let's GO BRONCOS!

broncoman

Juniors
the amazing thing is that we only have 1 player on debut. in pervious seasons we've had to blood a couple of players each time Origin players have been out. Its great for the future that these guys will have a good ammount of experience at this level before they become full time first graders. this is a good game for them, Canberra @ Bruce is one of the hardest road trips in the game.

On another note, is anyone else here going?

broncoman

Juniors
cool! the more the merrier. we usually have good support there. last couple of years have been good. i justy hope Frawley doesnt have any more thoughts of scoring hat tricks in this fixture ;)

cooba

Juniors
Just thought I would let u know the weather forcast-cold showers temp probably around the 8 degree mark. Finally winter will arrive,we've had an Indian summer,but come Sat the broncs better be wearing their woolen undies.

Evergreen

Juniors
Kiwi said:
The Raiders do stand a chance, but only because Lockyer, Berrigan, Petero, Carroll, McGuire, Carlaw and Thorn wont be playing.

If the Raiders can't win this weekend with that many Broncos out, then even if the Raiders make the finals, they'll only be there to make up the numbers.

Gotta agree with that.

Funny how this game could be the turning point for our season, much like the corresponding game last year up at Suncorp.

Should be a great game, like they always are between these teams.