What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brothers Diehards Are Coming

Big Tommy

Juniors
The famous diehard spirit is set to be rekindled at senior level football in Queensland, when Brothers Valleys become known as Brothers Diehards at the end of this season.

Let's hope that Brothers Diehards display the grit and determination of the Famous Valley Diehards.

Below is what our press office :lol: had to say:

A new name, a revamped home ground and an enhanced playing list will ensure Brothers Valleys enter the 2005 Queensland Cup season in a strong position to be competitive.

The King of Australian and Queensland rugby league, Wally Lewis, launched the new club name in a function at the Optus Boardroom in the City on Thursday night which also outlined the club’s plans for its future.

Following the end of the 2004 season, Brothers Valleys will become known as Brothers Diehards. The club has been known as Brothers Valleys Blues since it made its return to Brisbane football in 2002, including for its inaugural year in the Queensland Cup competition this season.

Club President, Pat Maguire said traditional supporters of the former “Brothers” and “Valleys” clubs would continue to feel a close association with the new name.

“The club will be either referred to by supporters as “Brothers” or “Diehards” or both and that will ensure all supporters feel comfortable in our name and ultimately our future,” Mr Maguire said.

“Valleys were always known as the Diehards and it is a name synonymous in Queensland rugby league with courage, determination and a refusal to give in.

“We are confident of building this Diehard spirit into the culture and playing results of our club.

“Brothers also is a great name and tradition in rugby league circles and it will continue to keep its special place in the hearts and minds of our supporters and followers of Queensland football,” Mr Maguire said.

Former Valleys player and board member of the Club, Shane Kelly said the term Diehards would prove an ideal marketing tool for the club as it pressed ahead with its new strategic business planning processes.

“While a football club is much more than its name, there simply is no better nickname for a rugby league team than the Diehards and I think you will start to see it pay dividends for us on and off the field from next season onwards,” Mr Kelly said.

The club also launched a new VIP membership and outlined plans to further increase its supporter and sponsorship base at the function.

The club will also have a new logo and a new jersey for season 2005 which will be released later this year.

oxenham

Juniors
Wheres the new ground?Brothers Diehards is an improvement on Brothers Valleys....although a little bit at Valleys expense.

mud n blood

Juniors
Thats what I'm feeling Ox ....

I think the plan is a few mill put into O'Callaghan - it bloody well needs it !

Big Tommy

Juniors
O'Callaghan Park is due for a $4 million facelift in the ensuing year. BCC handed over a cheque this week for the initial redevelopment works which will see additional spectator seating, a refit of the licensed facility and several potential plans for the fields.

Mud, the name change is the right move - but like a lot of things these days, things hang in the balance and we could be proved wrong over time.
I'm confident we won't though.

"Valleys" won't "die" again!

oxenham

Juniors
Tommy
Is the money from the council a loan or a grant.I am sure a few other clubs would appreciate similar support :roll: I am surprised the council is fuding licensed club work.....normally a no go area for government money.
Do you know who controls the licensed club and complex......I do not think you need another Perry Park situation.
Is the field a rules or league format or are we talking individual set ups in a sporting complex?
I am sure these issues are under control,or should be.
One thing you should make sure is that the old FVC is somewhere on the jersey,much like the Lions and Footscray.
Whats happening to the Leprechaun :lol:

Sgt Schultz

Juniors
I remember when we were at O'Callaghan Park we were going into the club for a beer after the game and the Brothers-Valleys officials asked us not to but stay around and have a drink in the car park because they didn't get anything out of the Club.

crocodileman

Juniors
Sgt Schultz said:
I remember when we were at O'Callaghan Park we were going into the club for a beer after the game and the Brothers-Valleys officials asked us not to but stay around and have a drink in the car park because they didn't get anything out of the Club.

No Schultzy, they just didn't like the look of you and made up some cock and bull yarn to keep you outside. Fair enough too, for those who believe in karma or feng shui, it can't be good to have anyone or anything associated with Redcliffe inside a building where luck is needed.

mud n blood

Juniors
How am I sinking the boot in ? I am just sceptical as I have seen mergers with clubs before, where the majority from one club dominates the other. Over time, lets see what happens. (ie Souths Logan, Northern Eagles - both codes, Caboolture Valleys) I hope for the sakes of both entities and all those who have busted their arses thus far, that it does work, and remains fair.

Latest posts