What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bruce Gordon take-over still on .

emu62

Juniors
Growing up my 2 main loves have been St George & Greyhound Racing. At the moment there trying to take 1 away.By crikey they better not try to take the other one as well.

PS - better throw my misses in there as well, just in case she reads this

GeEt

Juniors
St George won't vote to sell 51% to Gordon if he has the potential to rid the St George Dragons brand.

If Gordon aquires 51% there would surely be a clause in the contract stating he cannot change colours (red and white), emblem (Dragons) and location (St George and Wollongong).
He's a st George supporter who grew up in Randwick. Doubt that will happen

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Im only asking here because im abit worried do you think if this goes through which i actually hope it does because we do need the change is there a chance the club name would change or would it go back to the steelers because it has more of a illawarra influence?

Thanks
No

Gareth67

First Grade
As I am getting on in years , my memory tends to fade occasionally .
However , I am quite sure that the St.George teams before the joint-venture came into being , had many players who hailed from the Illawarra region .

There was one in particular I recall , a Graham Langlands ( never really mounted to much , always tripping over his white boots ) , and there was that big lump of a lad , er , what was his name ? Craig Young , once again he also did not do enough to wear the white jersey with the red V on it . The reality of course is that they and many , many other ' Illawarraians ' done so much in contributing to make St.George the envy of Rugby League world .

We all know , as most certainly the elder statesmen on this Forum do , the Illawarra was a tremendous nursery over the years for the great St.George teams of the past .
Perhaps they had already earned the right to be part of the joint-venture ?

Last edited:

monsterkev

Juniors
go to the smh website and you will find the info you require on what bruce gordons intentions are
he is a staunch illawarra supporter and his interview suggests the illawarra brand will be the benefactor and saints will slowly become obsolete both he and his son along with other steelers board members will have the majority gordons votes are worth 2 votes not one so if the steelers side stick together saints will be history

Gareth67

First Grade
go to the smh website and you will find the info you require on what bruce gordons intentions are
he is a staunch illawarra supporter and his interview suggests the illawarra brand will be the benefactor and saints will slowly become obsolete both he and his son along with other steelers board members will have the majority gordons votes are worth 2 votes not one so if the steelers side stick together saints will be history
Monster Kev , I have just finished looking at the website , as you suggested , and there are a number of points that do indicate a leaning to the Illawarra side of the venture .
However I do believe that if he , B.G. , does want that suggested 51% ownership , he will need to make some allowances that were not factored in the original proposal.

That said , everything will become much clearer to all in the coming months , hopefully sooner .
There is however one aspect ( of the proposed take-over ) that will not change ,and this has already been mentioned by others - the St.George ' entity ' is a far superior brand name to that of Illawarra .

He will need to recoup his investment , and to do so he will go with the product that sells best and a product that everyone knows - St.George , the man would be throwing good money away if he done otherwise . We will always be there in one form or another .

Bench
Growing up my 2 main loves have been St George & Greyhound Racing. At the moment there trying to take 1 away.By crikey they better not try to take the other one as well.

PS - better throw my misses in there as well, just in case she reads this
I'm with you the treatment of greyhound racing is disgusting, how many horses end up in glue factory, your right one will be gone soon, and if the national league ever gets started both my loves will be gone

monsterkev

Juniors
Monster Kev , I have just finished looking at the website , as you suggested , and there are a number of points that do indicate a leaning to the Illawarra side of the venture .
However I do believe that if he , B.G. , does want that suggested 51% ownership , he will need to make some allowances that were not factored in the original proposal.

That said , everything will become much clearer to all in the coming months , hopefully sooner .
There is however one aspect ( of the proposed take-over ) that will not change ,and this has already been mentioned by others - the St.George ' entity ' is a far superior brand name to that of Illawarra .

He will need to recoup his investment , and to do so he will go with the product that sells best and a product that everyone knows - St.George , the man would be throwing good money away if he done otherwise . We will always be there in one form or another .
i just hope for all supporters sake bruce gordon does not revert to the steelers old ways or there will be many thousands of fans going elsewhere or giving up on the nrl alltogether including myself

Ok it's game day today time to be positive on all fronts.

There is no doubt that administratively a Gordon funded and lead board must be an improvement on what we currently have.

Having an unappealing media product in the form of an underperforming NRL team is not going to improve Gordon's balance sheet.

He has lived long enough to remember the great St.George years so he understands the depth of support the "brand" has Australia wide.

On this basis alone he should support and retain the core principles of the current JV.

In reality it is an IQ test for him.

One I expect him to pass.

SaintHarry

Juniors
This joint venture has to be the worst thing to happen to the club ..honestly.. the rabbits stuck it out got kicked out of the comp for 2 years and came back just fine ill always support the st.george dragons im just really turned off them at the moment .. on a positive note see you all at the game GO THE F@#KEN SAINTS

Saintsified

Bench
I do agree with this however, our side of the ledger always says we would be crazy to dump the steelers side , I would imagine Gordon would be insane to drop the St George side in any shape or format and alienate an entire Sydney and national market. Doubt it would happen

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Gordon is not vindictive and has no reason to eliminate the Dragons name or St George for that matter. He would like more attention focused on the Illawarra region and that's fair enough hence he's proposed more games at WIN.
With our major sponsor being the St George Bank (wether that will continue is debatable), WIN cannot be a sponsor if he is an owner (as far as I know). Who would then become our Major sponsor if St George is eliminated?
As a business man he would have prepared a plan and outlined it in his proposal. That proposal, like any, will be debated, amended and re-proposed many times over the next 2 or 3 months until a mutual agreement is reached, or he will simply walk away, if it becomes untenable. No executive, will blindly accept a first proposal. It's just not they way business works, Gordon knows this and that's why it will take several months before anything is certain.

We, want change, yet at the first sign of change we jump at shadows. Let's just wait and see what transpires over the next few weeks.

John moz

Juniors
Change is the way with win corporation its what we need to move forward. Bruce Gordon knows the brand and st george in sydney is what he needs to be successful in business and sponsors.

GeEt

Juniors
I do agree with this however, our side of the ledger always says we would be crazy to dump the steelers side , I would imagine Gordon would be insane to drop the St George side in any shape or format and alienate an entire Sydney and national market. Doubt it would happen
Just remember Illawarra supporters come from Illawarra st George supporters come from all over the country why would he want to get rid of 90% of the supporters

MilanDragon

Juniors
WIN Corporation’s bid to buy troubled St George Illawarra has heated up again after representatives met with the NRL last week.

The Sunday Telegraph understands the NRL is keen to fast-track the sale of the Dragons, who have come under increasing pressure following a recent run of poor on-field performances coupled by a $7 million debt.

The NRL’s head of club and state services Tony Crawford met with representatives from WIN Corporation on Wednesday as a resolution draws closer. Informal discussions between the NRL and WIN has occurred throughout this year. But talks took a back seat as WIN finalised an affiliate deal with Channel 10.

Negotiations are set to intensify as the NRL season draws to a close.

The sale is part of the Dragons ongoing governance review, and has received widespread support from St George Illawarra fans. Eighty three per cent of people supported WIN’s desire to purchase 50 per cent of the Dragons in an exclusive online survey last month.

The NRL’s talks with WIN centre on how St George Illawarra’s $6.6 million debt to the NRL will be repaid.

The Sunday Telegraph revealed in May that WIN Corporation, St George Dragons and the Illawarra Steelers have an in principal agreement for St George and WIN to take a 50 per cent stake each in the Dragons.

WIN agreed to a $10 million purchase for 50 per cent of St George Illawarra Dragons. They will buy Illawarra’s share of the joint venture, with St George retaining the other 50 per cent. Each party will need to contribute $500,000 to the Dragons budget in 2017 and 2018.

WIN will have three board members in a new-look board, with St George contributing three others. WIN will also appoint the chairman almost certainly ending Warren Lockwood’s long-time position as Dragons chair. Illawarra will have one board member but they will not have full voting votes.

On completion of the deal WIN want to pay $1.5 million of the $6.6 million owed to the NRL. They would also pay a $700,000 “unsecured loan” to benefactor Bob St Clair in full from settlement proceeds on completion.
Link http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...t/news-story/ba233b8cdef4fb6bf991bcc589eefdae

Last edited by a moderator:

BennyV

Referee
"WIN will also appoint the chairman almost certainly ending Warren Lockwood’s long-time position as Dragons chair"

Very good that Lockwoods reign is closing. Nervous to see the outcome of the new look board. Interesting times.

Thread title is very strange

Latest posts