What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buderus keeps sights on Test berth

northey

First Grade
www.nrl.com
(they used this pic again)

DBuderus_05.jpg

Buderus keeps sights on Test berth

15 April 2005

Australian hooker Danny Buderus says he will embrace his last-ditch chance to impress national selectors before next Friday's Test when he makes a surprise NRL comeback for Newcastle on Sunday.

Despite a shocking injury run, the incumbent NSW Origin captain has not ruled out a call-up when the Australian team to play New Zealand at Brisbane on April 22 is named on Sunday.

The reigning Dally M Medal winner was initially expected to be out for six weeks after undergoing shoulder and elbow surgery on March 29.

But Buderus - who also endured pre-season foot surgery - has recovered three weeks ahead of schedule and on Friday received the green light for Sunday's clash against the New Zealand Warriors at Newcastle.

Despite not being picked in the initial 22-strong Australian squad to be whittled down to 17 on Sunday, Buderus said adding to his haul of 18 Tests was not out of the question.

"I don't know what they are going to do with the 22-man squad, but I will get the game out of the way and hopefully with a controlled performance (I get picked)," he said.

"It's in the back of the mind. If I can play that would be great but I understand what they are trying to do (with picking the squad)

"It would be tremendous (if picked but) I don't know if I would have played 80 minutes (by the national team announcement).

"I'll be a little bit underdone. It will be a good challenge for me to try and get back into the team."

ARL CEO Geoff Carr confirmed Buderus was still eligible for Test selection despite missing the initial squad.

"Yeah he can still be picked. There's nothing stopping the selectors picking the best team available," he said.

"The squad is a very good indication of how they will pick the team but it's up to them to name the best team."

Carr also reacted to recent criticism of naming a squad before picking the team.

"We put the squad together for logistical reasons. We've got to get 17 people to the Gold Coast on Sunday night - without booking airfares in advance it's the only way you are going to do it," he said.

"It's impossible to do it any other way with such a short preparation."

Despite being given a clean bill of health, Buderus said he was still monitoring his foot.

"It's been a hard road but ... my foot is slowly but surely coming along - hopefully over the next few weeks or months it will get back to normal."

Kazaf

Juniors
I dont want Danny to go, he may get injured again the the knights will go down :(

beef

Juniors
Kazaf said:
I dont want Danny to go, he may get injured again the the knights will go down :(

never thought about that but yeah it is a big possibility

bluesbreaker

Bench
With all due respect to Buderus, it wouldn't be good for Priddis (and especially _Smith_ the poor bastard) for Buderus to be selected like that.

Latest posts