What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 TV and Streaming Ratings Discussion

Wb1234

Immortal
Not to derial the tv thread further but a good article about the challenges and committment AFL has to cracking Western Sydney. Imagine if NRl had a startegy and investment pot like this in AFL territory!

Competing with rugby league in its heartlands is madness

If the team had stayed at Blacktown maybe they could’ve gotten western Sydney interested as it’s in between the eels and panthers and a huge growth area

The problem was all the white giants players from vic sa and wa were shocked at the demographics of Blacktown lol so they moved the club to Homebush because the players mostly lived at breakfast point which has water views

Homebush isn’t greater western Sydney

They can spend hundreds of millions and it’s for nothing

The eels and panthers are going to become amongst the biggest clubs in the league with the pop going of western Sydney

Tigers too if they moved to Campbelltown

TheRam

Coach
Imagine if the AFL GF was remotely close, would’ve averaged 5 million, NRL is incapable of such numbers I’m sorry to say, that’s why the AFL gets the big bucks!

Well that's what you get when you have a truly national sport, throw billions into development, marketing and play the long game without club interference.

TheRam

Coach
Moreso because of anticipation.
A contest between two great teams, neither of which will be clear cut favourites.
Any real sports fan will be watching not just Rugby League supporters.

The NRL just put their thumb on the scale by suspending NAS and I anticipate the game to be a blowout Penrith's way.

Gorillas win big matches.

TheRam

Coach
You know that not everyone in fumbleball states loves fumbleball. Melbourne Storm have made fantastic progress (now that they are trying) over the last couple of years and this will continue, Western Oz will soon be joining the party. We can probably expect 10 - 15 000 juniors in both those states over the next 10 years.

But they are not a transnational company, and don`t compare them to the NFL because there is a gladiatorial element to the NFL that fumbleball will never have.
In the long run it will be that lack of appeal overseas and lack of a representative calendar that will allow other sports to undermine any progress that f-ball has made.
NRL has a month of international football coming up after this week, as this tournament grows it will be played and televised in F-ball states. It will be very hard to ignore, and this is why you will start to see more and more kids wanting to try our sport.

I hope you are right mate, but I have heard all this before and all I ever see is their foot print constantly growing in our States, while ours goes nowhere in theirs.

Yes, hopefully Perth does add junior growth to the game and intern TV and game day attendances better then the stagnant Storm figures and they do it relatively quickly.

Perth Tiger

Bench
Whats with the anomay of AFL getting more finals viewers when NRL gets more regular round viewers?
my theory is AFL finals are the biggest events in their calendar. People who only watch 1-3 games a year watch the GF.

For league that is Origin, so the casual fan that might only watch 1-3 games a year watch Origin and then dont bother with our finals.

But that is just a guess, who knows.

The_Wookie

Bench
my theory is AFL finals are the biggest events in their calendar. People who only watch 1-3 games a year watch the GF.

For league that is Origin, so the casual fan that might only watch 1-3 games a year watch Origin and then dont bother with our finals.

But that is just a guess, who knows.

Its a bit of that, but its also a case of during finals, there are no weaker drawing games, the overlaps, the early saturdays, the local non victorian hosted broadcasts, the overlapping Saturday nights etc etc that make up part of the AFLS broadcasts/

Pretty solid. It still feels a bit like a tournament that’s been cobbled together (like our international game). It will take time and regular competition to really build on those numbers.

I actually think SOO might be the thing that really helps push the womens game forward.
Cobblers!

Expanding sustainably from 4 to 6 to 10 over 7 years. In what sense is that "cobbled together"?

NRLW faces the same obstacles as other domestic comps in women's sport. Competing for attention in a market saturated by the equivalent men's product.

Vlad59

Bench
yeah ild feel a bit safer playing a contact sport with a helmet and full body padding than none and not knowing where the the next hit, elbow, knee or fist is coming from personally.
I’d suggest afl players are used to fisting so they’ll know when it’s coming

Billythekid

First Grade
In terms of why AFL ratings are higher in the finals I think it’s a mix of reasons which have been mentioned above.

1 - For the AFL the finals really is the big event for the year. There’s no SOO and there’s no international sport. That’s not meant as an insult either but if you want to watch the big AFL games that means the finals series is it.

2 - The NRL is really uneven. Not sure if this is a problem for the AFL as much but the NRL has a major problem with the same teams always at the top and a lot of teams that are perennial bottom dwellers.

The last time a team besides the roosters/storm/panthers won a GF was back in 2016 and that was the sharks who were top 4 this year and it was an inch away from another storm win. Since 2012 those 3 teams have won 9 premierships soon to be 10.

During that same time Newcastle, Parra and the tigers have managed to wrap up 9 wooden spoons combined. It doesn’t help that it seems a lot of smaller clubs have been more successful as well.

3 - This will cop some flak but the regular season average viewership numbers disadvantage the AFL somewhat. They have games that go for longer and finish later. More overlapping games and generally just more content overall. I think it’s entirely possible there are more people watching the AFL in the regular season but the average viewership doesn’t reflect that.

4 - Having a national comp allows for more casual viewership. The reach numbers show that there are more people in Australia that have a vague interest in AFL even if it’s just changing the channel for a second to see what the score is. These type of viewers are slightly more inclined to watch finals games.

The NRL can help bridge this gap expanding to places like Perth.

Its a bit of that, but its also a case of during finals, there are no weaker drawing games, the overlaps, the early saturdays, the local non victorian hosted broadcasts, the overlapping Saturday nights etc etc that make up part of the AFLS broadcasts/
I'm still not completely au fait with the distinction between Reach and Average. The criterion for inclusion in the Reach figure is watching 1 minute. How long does someone have to watch to be counted in the Average figure?

Through the regular season, AFL seem to attract significantly more viewers who watch for a shorter period of time. Are the reasons behind this also part of the explanation for higher finals ratings?

From the limited data available, the Average/Reach ratio for NRLW games is more like AFL than NRL i.e. Average is a smaller proportion of Reach. Appears unaffected by teams, scheduling, closeness of scores, etc.

NRL has a month of international football coming up after this week, as this tournament grows it will be played and televised in F-ball states. It will be very hard to ignore, and this is why you will start to see more and more kids wanting to try our sport.
Aside from Pacific Islanders, NRL followers in NSW and QLD seem to find international RL very easy to ignore. The disdain will not go unnoticed in AFL States.

NRL cannot capitalize on this advantage over AFL if their fans continue to clock off after the NRL GF.

Dark Corner

Juniors
Last Weeks Streaming

Secondary DescriptionBVOD AudienceBVOD Reach
STORM V ROOSTERS389,000617,000
PF PANTHERS V SHARKS365,000562,000
F1 SINGAPORE RACE281,000394,000
F1 SINGAPORE72,000218,000
Moto GP EMILIA ROMAGNA RACE49,00062,000
Netball AUSTRALIA V ENGLAND G246,00078,000
Netball AUSTRALIA V ENGLAND G346,00075,000
QLD Cup GF DEVILS V DOLPHINS44,000101,000
LIVE: AFL GRAND FINAL BREAKFAST42,000104,000
Cricket ENG V AUS G3 IN139,00085,000
NFL FALCONS V CHIEFS39,000111,000
What was that creey strange post by a member xofstgeorge..... has LU been hacked.

Latest posts