What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Budgets of Elite teams 2011-12

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Going up, but still way behind the pro 2 clubs in the RU comp by some margin.

http://www.ladepeche.fr/article/201...-audois-moins-que-le-plus-petit-de-prod2.html

The budgets of the top clubs have increased by a further third with federal duty to create an LLC on the one hand pro contracts to manage and structure the other lover. They remain despite this, short of what one can find "XV".

For five years the championship of France of Rugby League was organized and continues to be structured, the arrival of pro contracts has changed somewhat and give the extra effort involved in managing the budgets of the three clubs face Aude different problems. Two years ago we heard regularly commented: "The championship is played in the Aude," implying that the three clubs Aude France dominated the championship, it is true that the last two finals of the championship of France have opposed Lézignan in Limoux. Things are still evolving as clubs such as Avignon, Villeneuve-Saint-Esteve XIII Catalan, beginning to point their noses in the big leagues. -What is it the evolution of the budgets of clubs Aude past ten years.

For Lézignan is the meteoric rise from 2006, previously moribund and on the verge of suffocation, the club was back in control of former Lézignan, the famous quartet of Presidents Laguens, Lapalu, and Gelis Espéluque The municipality participates in the rescue, recruitment is properly focused, the results are there, the rise of the club can not be stopped, the torch will be passed today Lézignan boasts a budget of € 900 000, the second budget behind Toulouse announcing a budget revolving around 1.3 million euros.

In Carcassonne, Aude prefecture, competition with the USC XV which rose from the Federal 3 Pro D2 peaked in December 2010 with the start of an open crisis background differences municipal grant for the USC XV and now the problem is solved, Carcassonne boasts a budget of € 800 000 and one of the big budgets of the championship of France élite1. For Limoux, in 2007 Jean-Louis Ramel then president threw in the towel he can not find € 250 000 to establish a budget to € 500 000. Today Limoux with € 400 000 is one of the smallest budgets in the championship of France, yet the results are there, the club plays a leading role in recent seasons.

benchmarks
The number: 2.2million> cumulative budget. This is the budget added three clubs operating in the Aude region of France Elite 1 championship of rugby league. Compared the budget of the US Carcassonne (14th in Pro D2) is 3.26 million euros, Narbonne (10th Pro D2), 4.63 million euros.

zoom
The increase in budgets
For five seasons, the federation has forced clubs to an elite structure, if the number of pro contracts and foreign teams is not subject to a threshold or a limit, it is necessary to follow standard budget . Admitted as one of the two presidents Didier lézignan Sarda, the situation has changed five years ago: "The federation has forced us to create an LLC to integrate the pro contracts and foreign players next to a structure amateurs which manages the other players and the rugby school. Since the advent of these new obligations, budgets have increased by about a third, but the quality of play suffers as well and that the show too. In Lézignan it has chosen not to incorporate too many foreigners, but those that must be brought in over the lot and train the youth believed that our role players like Bousquet, Cardaci , Casty, Ancely, moving to Dragons, of course, if a club XV just ask one of our players can not line up but the prospect of integrating the Dragons and the Superleague is a superchallenge too. "

For the three clubs Aude the conclusion is the same, the budget increased by 40% or more in five years, up a budget is always a perilous exercise, we must find partners who are committed over several years, and have results provide entertainment to bring the world, but as a recognized leader Carcassonne: "It will be long and difficult because without it there is no television broadcast."

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Is this overall budget, or player budget??

I think it's player budget.

Druzik said a while back some of the players he was talking to were on good money (foreigners) while the locals were the ones likely to be getting the scraps.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Although it could be club budget seeing as some clubs get players like Beattie and Wagon over there as captain/coaches and so on.

Not sure.

langpark

First Grade
I have a feeling it is their total operating budget.

But if it's just for the playing roster then that's not too bad, Toulouse's works out to just over A$1.7 million then. What is a top SL and top NL1 team's average budget?

If each team in France can increase year on year then they will be taking the right steps towards going pro. No point having a strong few at the top in a league full of minnows (Scottish Premier League, for example)...

langpark

First Grade
I think they have a more 'flexible' cap than the NRL. Something like your cap is done so it's proportionate to the club's income, so the likes of Wigan and Leeds can spend more that say Wakefield, Castleford etc. Not completely sure though.

When you said 1.8m, you did mean pounds right?

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
I think they have a more 'flexible' cap than the NRL. Something like your cap is done so it's proportionate to the club's income, so the likes of Wigan and Leeds can spend more that say Wakefield, Castleford etc. Not completely sure though.

When you said 1.8m, you did mean pounds right?

Yeah, pounds for sure.

langpark

First Grade
Just checked wiki, apparently it's only 1.6m! that's less than A$2.5m... Almost half the NRL cap, surprising...

I guess this means Toulouse aren't too far off some of the bottom SL clubs...

westie

Bench
The average wage in the UK is far less. Cheaper costs of living outside London etc. Get's pretty confusing trying to compare.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
If all clubs were able to get to the level of Toulouse you could probably have a professional competition. 1.3 million Euros divided by a squad of 25 works out at roughly 60,000 Euros per player. Some of the smaller clubs in tiny villages would have no chance of ever getting to that level I would imagine, but it is interesting to know that some clubs can get up to around the 1 million mark.

Coleworld

Juniors
Good to see these figures and see that some of the budgets have grown in the last half a decade. To be honest for the larger clubs it is higher then what i thought club/s had to work with. Hopefully in the next 5-10 years there can be an increase in corporate support and hopefully interest in the form of a television deal.

I'm not overly aware of the TV deal or if there is any at all in France but its not rocket science that getting on TV, creates a path for the game to get exposure and create opportunities to bring in corporate support.

Kudos to the Elite, if there was to be a 3rd League professional set up to emerge it would be fantastic for the game. Before i die i hope it becomes professional.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
With the LER, it gets a few semis and the GF game plus I think the LDR cup final all on FTA.

Then there's the Internationals on FTA and Les Catalans on Orange sports.

Coleworld

Juniors
With the LER, it gets a few semis and the GF game plus I think the LDR cup final all on FTA.

That's a decent start to build on for the Elite. A televised match of the week would be a great future addition. It would be interesting to know the contractual agreement they have with the network money wise.

Gambass

Juniors
Hi from France,

First, it's nice to see some Aussies talking about french RL :cool:, but due to the language barrier, you might like to have some facts corrected.

I think it's player budget.

No, it's definitely the overall budget, player salaries will represent roughly between 1/3 and 1/2 of the figures quoted. So, basically, we are still a long way to a professional set-up. And let's be honest here, the likes of Lézignan, Pia or Limoux are never going to turn full time. Theses places are way to small to be ever sustainable.

Although, I do think we could work out a french professional competition before the end of the decade, but to that purpose we will have to rationalize every resources that we may have. And the best way to achieve that will be to create new regionalized franchises à la Dragons Catalans, 8 teams being enough to begin with (triple round robin).

Not quite, only the GF have been broadcasting on FTA and it was only in the south (Toulouse and Perpignan areas). The semis might be broadcasting next year on FTA thought.

Regarding the Catalans issue; the contract with orange sport channel had ended this year, and for the moment the Catalans are struggling to find any national broadcaster for the years to come.

So in the end everything is not as fancy as you might think, but at least we are making progress. It might look like baby steps, but it's a start.

Hope I helped (and sorry for my english :eek:)

Last edited:

langpark

First Grade
Hi from France,

First, it's nice to see some Aussies talking about french RL :cool:, but due to the language barrier, you might like to have some facts corrected.

No, it's definitely the overall budget, player salaries will represent roughly between 1/3 and 1/2 of the figures quoted. So, basically, we are still a long way to a professional set-up. And let's be honest here, the likes of Lézignan, Pia or Limoux are never going to turn full time. Theses places are way to small to be ever sustainable.

Although, I do think we could work out a french professional competition before the end of the decade, but to that purpose we will have to rationalize every resources that we may have. And the best way to achieve that will be to create new regionalized franchises à la Dragons Catalans, 8 teams being enough to begin with (triple round robin).

Not quite, only the GF have been broadcasting on FTA and it was only in the south (Toulouse and Perpignan areas). The semis might be broadcasting next year on FTA thought.

Regarding the Catalans issue; the contract with orange sport channel had ended this year, and for the moment the Catalans are struggling to find any national broadcaster for the years to come.

So in the end everything is not as fancy as you might think, but at least we are making progress. It might look like baby steps, but it's a start.

Hope I helped (and sorry for my english :eek:)
Sorry? You sound like a native speaker you fool!

Thanks for the info!!

Latest posts