What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Building the next NZ team

I know zero about the NPC …is this a fully pro sport …ie with full time athletes?
Semi pro. Some full timers - those who are also contracted for SR but don't make the test team - mixed with part timers. Runs from early Aug through to late Oct and used to be the centre-piece of domestic rugby here before SR. Many want a return to that.

Matua

Bench
I know zero about the NPC …is this a fully pro sport …ie with full time athletes?
It also has the odd AB playing to get match fitness along with the semi pro and full timers.

Players who don't get Super contracts will often play in the USA comp for their season and then NPC.

There's also an increasing use of overseas players including Oz Super players (which I'm not a fan of).

Matiunz

Juniors
Think of it as sort of a NSW cup (NPC) to the NRL(Super Rugby) with 3-4 NPC teams essentially acting as feeders to each of the Super Rugby franchises. Mix between non All Black Super Rugby players, young up and comers, a few sevens players wanting to increase their income and the odd AB cameos for the odd game. The way NZ rugby works is the players are centrally contracted and have a base pay for NPC players- who then get more if they make a Super Rugby squad and then go up a pay tier again if they play representative so an NPC level only player isn’t really full time by itself but will become one if they are good enough for the next level.