What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Building the player base

İzmir Zaferi

Juniors
One of the key objections to expansion is playing depth.

I personally think it is an overstated problem however I do think that
a specific set of strategies should be created to alleviate player depth.

A couple thoughts.

1. Only half the playing squad can come from NRL contracted players

The goal in doing this is to avoid reaction and depletion of wider NRL squads but also to encourage a wider view to recruitment.

To facilitate this expansive look toward recruitment...

2. Raid Union (and other sports) globally

For the first 3 years players recruited from the top tiers of Rugby Union (or emerging national players at lower age groups) - up to half the playing squad, should be salary cap exempt.

For instance. If the Salary cap is 12 million. 6 Million can be spent on players from the NRL Rugby League playing base, players drawn from outside of the present NRL stystem would not count for three years.

This would allow, for instance, a team in Southern NZ to raid Super Rugby ranks and All Blacks. A team from Perth would do well to raid South African and Wallaby ranks. Outside backs in particularly from South Africa could make the transition. This would also do well to gain attention from South Africa. (I would also suggest 'West Coast' as a name as this could also be leveraged to target an extended fan base in the Capetown / West Coast region of South Africa)

3. NSW / QLD Cup entry a year early.

If the new teams were given a year in QLD Cup / NSW Cup it would also incentivise strategic recruitment of some developing players and also Union players to give them a year to develop before entry. This may also help in the recruitment of American Athletes who have the potential but need time to develop (yes, harder than Union transition)

What strategies do you suggest?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Both are sound strategies, and therefore too obvious for the NRL to do!

Also:

Serious investment in grass roots prior to the clubs admission should also be part of a long term plan.

Supported pathway with a NSW cup or QRL cup club

Matua

Bench
A potential issue, especially in the NZ sense is defining who from the emerging players is a rugby player or a league player as many are/can be both. We might see teams contesting picks in other teams.

For example, RTS was player the schools equivalent of Super rugby, would the Roosters have got an exemption for him?

İzmir Zaferi

Juniors
A potential issue, especially in the NZ sense is defining who from the emerging players is a rugby player or a league player as many are/can be both. We might see teams contesting picks in other teams.

For example, RTS was player the schools equivalent of Super rugby, would the Roosters have got an exemption for him?
I guess I would say if he is not signed by an NRL club or lower League club then he would qualify as a Union recruit. At worst he would be won over to League and kept away from Union.

Canard

Immortal
Have we invested enough time and money into maximising the Australian and NZ Rugby League junior recruitment pool yet?

I say no, and this should be our initial focus.

Matua

Bench
I guess I would say if he is not signed by an NRL club or lower League club then he would qualify as a Union recruit. At worst he would be won over to League and kept away from Union.
So you could have a schoolboy league player who is exempt from the salary cap because they don't sign for an NRL or lower club - surely this will become a shitfight for the clubs?

Perth Red

Post Whore
It should be anyone not signed previously or currently to an NRl club gets 25% off cap for first 3 years, up to 10 players. For the new clubs only and for a ten year period.

That gives new clubs incentive to find new talent outside the existing pool whilst they build their own stocks. Otherwise we end up like Dolphins and Titans where they spend the first few years just plundering other clubs.

Canard

Immortal
Be a hell of a disincentive to develop any type of junior playing base.

So I fully expect the NRL to adopt the model.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Be a hell of a disincentive to develop any type of junior playing base.

So I fully expect the NRL to adopt the model.
Not if its time ltd. What it does is give new clubs a realistic timeline to develop its own players whilst not diluting the existing clubs talent pools.

It should be anyone not signed previously or currently to an NRl club gets 25% off cap for first 3 years, up to 10 players. For the new clubs only and for a ten year period.

That gives new clubs incentive to find new talent outside the existing pool whilst they build their own stocks. Otherwise we end up like Dolphins and Titans where they spend the first few years just plundering other clubs.
Where is a Perth team going to get the money to pay extra for players and run the football club?

It's not going to have a strong cash flow like the Dolphins.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Where is a Perth team going to get the money to pay extra for players and run the football club?

It's not going to have a strong cash flow like the Dolphins.
big sponsors, rich owners, sweet Govt stadium deal, utilize the $2mill profit most clubs are making. Strong membership and attendance base. if Pirates a sht load of merch sales. And so it goes on. Money will be least of our problems.

MugaB

Coach
big sponsors, rich owners, sweet Govt stadium deal, utilize the $2mill profit most clubs are making. Strong membership and attendance base. if Pirates a sht load of merch sales. And so it goes on. Money will be least of our problems.
0dd12e9f-7050-4664-94ea-e2716a526b83_text.gif

Need a licence first... please see Bears before you boast money is no problem

Perth Red

Post Whore
Article on playing talent sat in reserves. Two teams made up from non Nrl starters:
  1. Sua Faalogo
  2. Edrick Lee
  3. Michael Jennings
  4. Tyrone Peachey
  5. Nick Cotric
  6. Brandon Wakeham
  7. Lachlan Ilias
  8. Jarrod Wallace
  9. Jake Turpin
  10. Sean Keppie
  11. Siua Wong
  12. Corey Horsburgh