What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bukuya and ASADA

Not sounding promising for him:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-with-government/story-fni3gol8-1226683412615
AT least eight Cronulla Sharks players, including NSW State of Origin captain Paul Gallen, were in negotiations to cut a deal over alleged anti-doping violations in March, according to documents obtained by The Daily Telegraph.

The documents show that the Sharks players felt they were let down by the club on the basis that Cronulla staff directed them to use certain supplements, now believed to be prohibited peptides, and were advised the products had been cleared by ASADA.

The deal was being brokered at the same time as the NRL became aware the AFL had a favourable private deal with the government, meaning Essendon players could possibly escape the drugs-in-sport investigation with no sanctions.

In a separate document exclusively published by The Daily Telegraph on Monday, the government indicated ASADA would explain to the Essendon players that these are exceptional circumstances and the defence of no fault or negligence may be available, meaning they might not have to serve a ban at all.

In contrast, Cronulla and the NRL were only offered the lesser "no significant fault" defence that reduces bans to a minimum of six months.
A list of conditions in return for players accepting a six-month "no significant fault" suspension for alleged use of "prohibited substances" included contracts being honoured for the period of any sanction, Cronulla guaranteeing not to sack any players, a percentage of the salary cap increase for 2014 and one-year contract extensions for off-contract players.

Cronulla Sharks captain Paul Gallen. Picture: Mark Evans

Sharks captain Gallen is believed to have requested three State of Origin match payments of $30,000 each and an Anzac Test payment of $20,000 be included as part of his package, along with more than $100,000 worth of sponsorships, two Toyota vehicles and a Harley Davidson motorcycle.
In total, Gallen's list of demands was worth about $200,000, the two vehicles and the motorcycle.

In exchange for the financial benefits, the Sharks players indicated they may be prepared to agree to waive all future rights against the club. They were also prepared to abide by a "gag order", keeping them silent about the 2011 supplement program, which was overseen by sports scientist Steven Dank and trainer Trent Elkin.

The eight Sharks players prepared to consider the no fault plea bargain included Gallen, Wade Graham, Nathan Gardner, Nathan Stapleton, Matthew Wright, Stewart Mills and Jayson Bukuya.

In a surprise twist, prop Bryce Gibbs was also named as one of the players mulling over the deal even though Gibbs was still playing at Wests Tigers in 2011.

The deal was being negotiated by Cronulla Sharks' previous board of directors in response to an ASADA "offer".

The documents show the players maintained they were innocent victims in the affair and that they were advised that the products had been cleared and were safe to use; both health-wise and ASADA-wise.

The players argued that the club effectively forced them to use the supplements through the club officials that were involved in the substance program.
The players indicated they have strong grounds of action against the club but they were prepared to waive such action against Cronulla if the club would agree to certain concessions.

Patorick

Staff member
I want a Harley too!
So no Gallen for World Cup?
When does the 6 months start?
Don't think they can backdate it, unless there's a last minute deal done.

As for Gallen, it takes big balls to ask for a car and a motorbike in that situation.

Diesel

Referee
Gallen acts like he is better than others, so if he does gets pinged it'll shut him up for a while.

I'd assume the 6 months would be suspended til the start of the new NRL season if they have to stand down over the off season but also include anything after the GF. You can't have him play in the WC or be suspended for 6 months from October 1.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were handed 18-24 month suspensions for not accepting a 6 month roll over back in May

Last edited:

byrner

Juniors
Firstly Gallen is now considering legal action against the paper for reporting this.

Secondly if this article is tue (which I doubt) the cars and motobikes are most likely part of sponsorship deals he currently has and would be loosing. How is that him thinking he is better than us?
And the 6 months would start as soon as cronulla finish up after the finals, this is what the afl have negotiated for their team.

TheDMC

Bench
The fact that the players were getting injections shocked me when this whole thing came to light. Is it normal practice for NRL clubs to give player's injections for supplements (legal supplements)? I would've thought apart from cortisone injections and tetanus etc, needles wouldn't go near the players.

I don't have any sympathy for excuses such as Gallen's and co's that they didn't knowingly take performance enhancing substances...its such a lame excuse and they have to be responsible for knowing what they are ingesting and injecting. They should get the book thrown at them. Otherwise you could just say to the doc 'sure mate, inject me with whatever helps, I just don't want to know what it is"

But the club also needs to be hammered for allowing such a systematic abuse - not just the individual players and club officials involved. If allegations are finally proven, then Cronulla should be censored similarly to Melbourne Storm and others over salary cap abuses, this is just as bad.

JJ

Immortal
Gallen acts like he is better than others,

I am not sure he does, but bottom line is HE IS better than most... top players get more, funny that...

will be interesting to see how this all plays out...

warrior poet

Juniors
just wondering, if bukuya does get suspended are we able to cancel his contract... if the suspension does start at the beginning of next year then we are down a player for most of the season. Would we have signed him if we knew he was one of the players involved. Before anyone says that he wouldn't have known what he was taking, did he ask questions and do research before agreeing to take things? If he didn't he deserves the ban.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I am not sure he does, but bottom line is HE IS better than most... top players get more, funny that...

will be interesting to see how this all plays out...

Being better means you get paid more, doesn't mean you get special allowances to break the rules.

spear tackle

Juniors
If Bukuya is banned, before even putting on a Warriors jersey surely we have a get out clause in the contract otherwise we're being punished for behaviour that went on at another club. Having said that I hope he's not and arrives here all ready for the 2014 season

TheDMC

Bench
Of course there will be contract provisions to deal with this, no way we would be paying him for 6 months on the sidelines if drug allegations proved. A silver lining is it could free up some cash for keeping friend for another season, we need him and he deserves it. We still get bukuya later in 2014...

Diesel

Referee
Who pays for the 6 or so months IF they are suspended, Cronulla or the NRL?

If Cronulla, the lawyers fees must be chewing into their development slush fund

TheDMC

Bench
I can't imagine the NRL would pay, they surely have no liability for players off-field discretions. If Bukuya was still on contract with Cronulla next year then Cronulla would have to pay, but that would depend on how much liability for the situation they took (which you would think would be a fair bit considering it is their own staff accused of administering the peptides). If they took no responsibility for the situation, I imagine they are within their rights to tear up guilty players contracts or pay a basic retainer fee much less than the contract value. In Bukuya's case, as he will no longer be on contract with Cronulla when (if) a suspension is issued so they won't pay diddly. Bukuya at best will get a basic retainer fee from Warriors until his suspension is up and he is available to play.

Of course the above is based on the NRL system not being as half mickey mouse as it is.

Last edited:

byrner

Juniors
The fact that the players were getting injections shocked me when this whole thing came to light. Is it normal practice for NRL clubs to give player's injections for supplements (legal supplements)? I would've thought apart from cortisone injections and tetanus etc, needles wouldn't go near the players.

I don't have any sympathy for excuses such as Gallen's and co's that they didn't knowingly take performance enhancing substances...its such a lame excuse and they have to be responsible for knowing what they are ingesting and injecting. They should get the book thrown at them. Otherwise you could just say to the doc 'sure mate, inject me with whatever helps, I just don't want to know what it is"

But the club also needs to be hammered for allowing such a systematic abuse - not just the individual players and club officials involved. If allegations are finally proven, then Cronulla should be censored similarly to Melbourne Storm and others over salary cap abuses, this is just as bad.

This comment shows how little you know. Yes it is normal practice.
The best way to take suppliments/vitamins is through an injrction.
There is nothing wrong with injections, its not like they are being administered in some shady back alley. They are being done by professionals.

Tuere is still no proof which has been released to prove these players were injected with anything illegal. Until it is proven they are innocent.

Latest posts