What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bulldogs 2008 player profiles

Abz

Juniors
28 all up. Would've been 30 if Mase and Shifty didn't walk out on us.

Abz

Juniors
I don't know... you see it's a catch 22 situation. We've got Millard who's pretty much cemented his spot being our 2nd highest try scorer in 07 and Willie Tonga is all but gone, so why use Winitana if we're after someone like Folau to replace Tonga? But I would love Winitana more over Folau. I'd prefer we get a new prop. We've also got Heka Nanai lined up.

Taniwha

Juniors
Winitana's pretty versatile though he'd be just as good at fullback and he played a little bit of 5/8 for your premier league team too if i recall correctly

Abz

Juniors
I'm happy with the General at the back. Wini got potential. First step would be to keeping him though and not have him turn into a scapegoat like Karl Filinga and Anasta and soon to be... Mason!

Dogaholic

First Grade
Abz said:
I'm happy with the General at the back. Wini got potential. First step would be to keeping him though and not have him turn into a scapegoat like Karl Filinga and Anasta and soon to be... Mason!

You're an idiot!

Abz

Juniors
Dogaholic said:
You're an idiot!
shutup_001.jpg

richies

Juniors
timmy Win is a centre...
has played alot of 5/8 and fullback sometimes
good jnr

have they done the lower grades yet
hopeso
cheers

ibrmo01

Juniors
Hey Guys

I am a bulldogs supporter. I have very big doubts we will make the 8 this year...i hope im wrong but i cant see it happening...

Everyone keeps forgetting that we do not have a good 6/7 combination...to add to that is our aging backline...and the loss Mason & Omeley...

sherwin was no loss..he needed to go...next is hopefully Hughes....

richies

Juniors
ibrmo01 said:
Hey Guys

I am a bulldogs supporter. I have very big doubts we will make the 8 this year...i hope im wrong but i cant see it happening...

Everyone keeps forgetting that we do not have a good 6/7 combination...to add to that is our aging backline...and the loss Mason & Omeley...

sherwin was no loss..he needed to go...next is hopefully Hughes....

gday

agreed will struggle to make the top 8 especially now we only have 10 interchanges
and
mason and omelly had about 65mins each game
not 1 of our props can play that amount of time and do the same impact

Bulldogs_4_Life

Juniors
We need to remain positive guys. I think the host of talent we have coming through the ranks and in the top grade squad is a boost.

Our back line isn't a problem IMO. Patten is awesome, El Masri is El Masri and he never disappoints, Millard had a great year last year and Tonga will be looking to get back to his best or else and also Utai is there and if he can get back to his best, he is absolutely devastating. If there are injuries or out of form players, then look no further than Heka Nanai and Tim Winitana. Those two are very keen young guys with so much potential, much like Jennings from Penrith. 6 and 7 may be a worry, but don't forget that we have Groom, who is a little live wire and he will be fighting it out between Holdsworth and Roberts for a spot. I don't see the halves as a worry, especially not when we have Joey Johns training them.

Our forward pack might not be as tough as previous years, but we still have Sonny, Andrew Ryan (who has completed his first full pre-season since 2003), Reni Maitua and a host of young guys who are keen to rip in. I have high hopes for Danny Williams, a man who Beetson has said great things about. Hickey and Armit will need to step up, but we also have guys like Kouparitsas and Te Maari, not to mention the man mountain Leaeno and also Tsoulos, who many say will do great things if he can over come his injury troubles.

As for the reduced amount of interchanges, well, that doesn't worry me at all. Maitua, Ryan and Sonny Bill can all play 80 minutes if needed. Armit can push 60 minutes and Hickey should be able to push for 45-50 minutes if he gets into shape. Cleal can play a good 60-65 and Danny Williams is half back rower, half front rower so he should be able to play a good 40-50 as well. Throw into that Kouparitsas and Te Maari, who can both play 80, and we can build a very nice team.

I have faith that Folkes, a great coach who has taken us to the finals almost every year, will make the right the decisions.

Just have faith guys, think positive. This may be a bit of a re-building year but think ahead. This year will give great opportunity to the young guys. And if that doesn't get you excited, think about the money we have to spend for season 2009, especially if we back load contracts and get rid of a couple of do-nothings like Hughes, Phelps and Morrin.

richies

Juniors
Hughes, Phelps and Morrin,

2008 will be there last here

they are only back up now

backline is a problem
patten - np.reliable

utai defence and high ball we loose remember cutler

millard slow and not a great attacker better defender

tonga defence improved last year but still comes in early leaving a hole like utai

nani aslo does the same

tim good but slow also

Bulldogs_4_Life

Juniors
Again, you're just being extremely negative and unfairly critical IMO.

Utai may need to improve on his defence, yeah, but it's not as bad as you make out. He is much better defender than Cutler and his attack more than makes up for his defence. Millard might not be the fastest, but he still has the ability to make and create a line break. His attack is decent, how can it not be when he was our second highest try scorer? I can remember a few magic moments from Daz and he can and will only get better.

Tonga is a 50/50, I agree. On his day, he is awesome, but he hasn't played to his best since 2004. He knows this as he said on NRL Summertime that he needs to improve and I think he will considering he is also playing for a contract.

How can you bag Nanai when he was the Flegg player of the year and has only played a couple of FG games, scoring a try in one of them and playing solid in both. Remember the big line break he created, then his magic round the back pass against the Titans? He is something special. Training with the FG squad will do him a world of good as well.Winitana might not be lighting, but he is very strong, very keen and is going places. Training with the FG squad will also do him wonders IMO and he will only get better, too.

Just think positive dude :) Also pointing out the bad won't do anyone any good. Half full mate, half full.

Latest posts