What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bulldogs Media Release

ozzy_ozman

Juniors
Thursday, 3 July 2008
The Mitsubishi Electric Bulldogs are set to abandon their traditional blue and white and will take to the field in hot pink socks for their clash with the South Sydney Rabbitohs at ANZ Stadium on Monday 7 July.

The socks have been specially commissioned by the Bulldogs to raise awareness of and funds for the National Breast Cancer Foundation and will be signed by each of the players and auctioned on graysonline.com.au from Tuesday.

Monday’s match will also celebrate the involvement of women in the Club with the wives, partners and mothers of players to be honoured at a dinner and in what is believed to be a first for the game, the Bulldogs will use a female ground announcer for the night.

Injured Bulldogs utility Michael Sullivan and his sister Neroli who lost their mother to breast cancer in 2004 will address the dinner, relaying some of their own experiences and encouraging fans to support the cause.

“My family has been directly affected by Cancer, therefore we would like to encourage everybody to support the club as we try to raise awareness,” Sullivan said today.

“Personally I would like to encourage everybody to get every scan they need done, as my mum passed away with secondary cancer, which possibly could have been avoided had the secondary cancer been detected early”.

The National Breast Cancer Foundation CEO, Ms Sue Murray welcomed the support of the Bulldogs.

“More than 13,000 new cases of breast cancer will be diagnosed this year. This is devastating not only for the person who is diagnosed, but also for their family, friends and colleagues. Survival is improving due to better detection and improved treatments, but the importance of ongoing research cannot be underestimated.

"It is wonderful to see the Bulldogs supporting breast cancer research in such a unique way. Having the whole team decked out in pink socks will help raise awareness and much needed funds for this disease, which will take us one step closer towards prevention and an eventual cure," Ms Murray said.

The National Breast Cancer Foundation is one of five key charities that the Bulldogs will support this year. Already the Club has led a Blood Drive for the Red Cross, filled 10 wheelie bins full of food for the Salvation Army, formed a partnership with the RSPCA and later this season will host the Bandaged Bear Cup as a major fundraiser for the Westmead Childrens’ Hospital.

http://www.bulldogs.com.au/main.php?page=article&id=1766

Discuss

bulldog

Bench
Was it the Tigers that did the same thing or something similar, wearing soemthing pink for a game?

A good cause and I hope they raise plenty for it.

Rogue.9

Juniors
I don't know about pink socks but I know for a game a few years ago that instead of a blue & gold jersey we played in a purple & gold jersey which were then signed and auctioned off later for charity, Starlight Foundation I think.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Well the Dogs have been playing like a bunch of girls for a while now, so they may as well look the part.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Well done guys, make fun of an initiative designed to aid the search for a cure to Breast Cancer. Real mature :clap: All the pink jokes = been done.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Well done guys, make fun of an initiative designed to aid the search for a cure to Breast Cancer. Real mature :clap:

Get off your high horse, and find yourself a sense of humour.

All the pink jokes = been done.

I would suppose you would know, too many nights on the town with your pink tutu on :lol:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Get off your high horse, and find yourself a sense of humour.

I would suppose you would know, too many nights on the town with your pink tutu on :lol:

There's a difference between a sense of humour and belittling someone for doing something worthy.

You might as well laugh at everyone who donates to the Guide Dogs if you're going to carry on like that.

Dogs Of War

Coach
There's a difference between a sense of humour and belittling someone for doing something worthy.

You might as well laugh at everyone who donates to the Guide Dogs if you're going to carry on like that.

Pull your head out of your arse. At no point did anybody give it to the Dogs for doing something for charity, just having a go at the Bulldogs as they are playing some crap footy this year.

As for the charity aspect of it all, the Dogs have been doing this for a few years now, as well as those can food drives (don't know if it happened this year). Most football players actually do a lot for the community that goes unreported, like visiting Westmead childrens hospital and the like.

Doesn't mean we can't take the piss out of pink socks which is something I would expect to find on Oxford st, rather than a footy field.

Russell Crowe

Juniors
The National Breast Cancer Foundation is a great charity. I've given my fair share to them and it's a great cause.

But you don't see me walking around in pink socks, looking like a nice person. You Bulldogs are the disgrace of the league and on Monday night, the Mighty Rabbitohs will be aiming their guns at the dogs rather than the rabbits!!!

Dogaholic

First Grade
The National Breast Cancer Foundation is a great charity. I've given my fair share to them and it's a great cause.

But you don't see me walking around in pink socks, looking like a nice person. You Bulldogs are the disgrace of the league and on Monday night, the Mighty Rabbitohs will be aiming their guns at the dogs rather than the rabbits!!!

This has to be a gee up. You can't be that stupid?

Russell Crowe

Juniors
You blokes really have to question the sexuality of your team, when they voluntarily wear pink socks.

Of the multitude of things they could have done, they choose to look gay.

Dogaholic

First Grade
You blokes really have to question the sexuality of your team, when they voluntarily wear pink socks.

Of the multitude of things they could have done, they choose to look gay.

This coming from a South "we want the homosexual support" Sydney "Cheerleaders are offensive" Rabbitohs "Russell Crowe was hot in The Sum of Us" Supporter?

Back in your box gimp

Rogue.9

Juniors
Good on the bulldogs for helping charity, after about the first 5 minutes of play you won't really notice the socks anyway.

Latest posts