What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bulldogs ready to flex their muscle

gong_eagle

First Grade
Bulldogs ready to flex their muscle

Monday, August 20, 2007

http://svc002.wic110cx.server-web.com/News/Latest/NewsArticle/tabid/76/NewsId/6692/Default.aspx
If they're not doing so already, NRL highflyers Melbourne and Manly might want to stop and take a look over their shoulders.
Because September - and with it the Bulldogs - are coming.
Despite the Bulldogs moving into the top four for the first time this season courtesy of Friday night's win over Brisbane, Manly and the Storm continue to dominate premiership favouritism discussions.
But in an ominous warning to the Storm ahead of their blockbuster clash at Telstra Stadium on Friday night, Bulldogs prop Mark O'Meley claimed the Dogs were ready to flex their notorious muscle.
"I probably think we don't deserve (the respect) - yet," O'Meley said.
"We know we can play good football but we just haven't been consistent enough yet.
"In saying that we don't really care because we've got a bit of arrogance about us and we know when it's a big game that we always put in a good performance."
Which is exactly why the other teams in contention for the finals may be getting a little nervous.
The Bulldogs haven't been at their best on too many occasions this year.
But when they have - like at Brookvale Oval against the Sea Eagles in round 15 - they have proved almost unstoppable.
That night the Bulldogs pack pulverised their Manly counterparts in a 27-8 win - the tone set in the pre-game warm-ups when Willie Mason and Sonny Bill Williams flattened an unsuspecting Nick Kouparitsas during a tackling drill.
Coach Steve Folkes said his side would need to bring the same intensity over the next month and a half for the Bulldogs to go all the way.
"We need to be in the right frame of mind leading into a game and that's probably what has hurt us on and off this year," Folkes said.
"When we're on mentally we tend to play really well.
"Semi-finals - if you can't get on for them or if you can't get on for Friday night (against Melbourne) then there's something wrong."
Doubts remain over Mason's availability for Friday night's game, the Test prop still recovering from a dislocated wrist.
Mason has said he is desperate to play, but O'Meley wasn't sure if he would have his running mate by his side.
"His mental state is he wants to play this week but the doctors are probably thinking about his long-term health, so I think he might have another week," O'Meley said.
The Storm received a boost on Monday when Michael Crocker was cleared to play, the fiery backrower taking the early guilty plea after being charged with a careless high tackle.
The Bulldogs need to win both of their remaining matches against the Storm and North Queensland to secure a top four berth and with it home ground advantage in the first week of the finals.
They will be hoping for a big crowd on Friday night as well after launching a charity drive on Monday with fans being encouraged to bring tinned food to the game.
It's an initiative being run by the players' wives and girlfriends and in conjunction with the Salvation Army, with all proceeds going to disadvantaged families in the Bulldogs' local area.
Source: AAP

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Like I said in another thread, the Bulldogs lifting more than other teams when September approaches is overhyped. I think we've already had 2-3 of these articles this year whenever the Dogs look like hitting form.

salivor

First Grade
Fantastic, the yearly article on how this is supposedly the Bulldogs time of year. They have 2 good finals series in 95' and 98' and we have to be inflicted with this myth for ever after.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Gee, didn't they win it in 2004?

BTW gong, this was posted before ;-)

salivor

First Grade
Timmah said:
Gee, didn't they win it in 2004?

BTW gong, this was posted before ;-)

Great start in 2004 losing to the Cowboys at home. Since 98 they've won 6 and lost 7 finals matches, not exactly all conquering as you'd expect to have this crap trotted out each year.

Garts

Bench
I dont get the hype with the Dogs and the finals, didnt they get pumped last year?

Anyway in saying that, as a Manly supporter I fear them more than other team in the finals. I would feel more comfortable playing the Storm than the Dogs tbh.

ShineDog

Juniors
Lets just wait and see who is holding the Trophy come Grand Final day.
Dogs by 14 on GF Day!!

Timmah

Staff member
salivor said:
Great start in 2004 losing to the Cowboys at home. Since 98 they've won 6 and lost 7 finals matches, not exactly all conquering as you'd expect to have this crap trotted out each year.

Not sure it matters how great the start is or not - if the remaining matches are won to record a premiership, good stuff. Didn't Brisbane lose in week one 2006?

salivor

First Grade
Timmah said:
Not sure it matters how great the start is or not - if the remaining matches are won to record a premiership, good stuff. Didn't Brisbane lose in week one 2006?

Difference is that no journo or myself is claiming Brisbane to be some great finals team in recent times. Until the last 3 matches last year we had an attrocious record losing something like 7 straight finals matches.

Timmah

Staff member
Win/loss record aside, the Bulldogs are a finals footy team. The coverage is good for the game after a week of grapple furore and a season of off-field discrepancy.

salivor

First Grade
Timmah said:
Win/loss record aside, the Bulldogs are a finals footy team. The coverage is good for the game after a week of grapple furore and a season of off-field discrepancy.

No more so than any other side. Going over the same period of time back to 99', Parramatta have won 6 and lost 6, Melbourne have won 8 and lost 6, St George-Illawara have won 8 and lost 6 and Sydney have won 10 and lost 7. All those teams have just as good if not better finals records in recent history yet there seems to be only one team every year that has this myth rolled out that they're the team to fear come finals time. Journalists really need to get some new material.

Shorty

Staff member
KeepingTheFaith said:
Like I said in another thread, the Bulldogs lifting more than other teams when September approaches is overhyped.
It is it ever.

Ice777

Bench
I must say i was a bit perplexed when i read that the Dogs were "a finals team" As was just posted their finals record is hardly more outstanding than most of the other teams.

Timmah

Staff member
So Melbourne are a finals team? They haven't won a thing since 1999. We knocked them out Week Two 2 years straight (03/04 IIRC)

:crazy: eh?

salivor

First Grade
Timmah said:
So Melbourne are a finals team? They haven't won a thing since 1999. We knocked them out Week Two 2 years straight (03/04 IIRC)

Of course they are. Since the start of the NRL in 1998 the Bulldogs have been in 6 of 9 finals series, played in 2 grand finals and won 1 premiership. The Storm have played in 7 of 9 finals series, played in 2 grand finals and won 1 premiership. So where is the difference?

Also I don't see how a couple of games in 2003 and 2004 are relevant. There's plenty of examples of the Doggies poor showings in recent finals series. How about 2001 where they got 50 points put on them by the Sharks of all teams? Or how about 2003 where they got 48 points put on them by the Warriors? Or last year where they blew a big half-time lead against the Broncos?

Dogs Of War

Coach
Who cares, maybe teams get up to play the Dogs more in the finals (I know the bloody Broncos do every time we play them, generally cause we lose).

Thus the not as impressive record as you would think for a finals team.

But you can't say their not a team that seems to lift when it comes to the business end of the season, some clubs, like the sharks, just don't seem to be able to raise it to the next level when it gets to the important games.

Timmah

Staff member
All one needs to do is look at the results in the first and second half of the season for the 'Dogs to see when they lift.

Ice777

Bench
Timmah said:

Umm did i say Melbourne were a finals team? You're the one making outlandish statements about your own team and i just pointed out that i was a bit perplexed when you said that the Dogs were a finals team when your record is hardly outstanding compared to all the other sides.

Yes you knocked the Storm out 2 years straight but again i wasn't making this into a "My dick is bigger than yours type of thread" as you have so i fail to see how that has anything to do with anything. So now we've established that the Dogs kicked us out 2 years straight can i ask you how the Dogs are a finals team?

eh?

Lowdown

Juniors
salivor said:
Of course they are. Since the start of the NRL in 1998 the Bulldogs have been in 6 of 9 finals series, played in 2 grand finals and won 1 premiership. The Storm have played in 7 of 9 finals series, played in 2 grand finals and won 1 premiership. So where is the difference?

Also I don't see how a couple of games in 2003 and 2004 are relevant. There's plenty of examples of the Doggies poor showings in recent finals series. How about 2001 where they got 50 points put on them by the Sharks of all teams? Or how about 2003 where they got 48 points put on them by the Warriors? Or last year where they blew a big half-time lead against the Broncos?

Owned Timmah - comprehensively owned.

Just like when the doggies blew the lead versus the Storm in 99, or when they blew an un-loseable lead versus the Broncos.

Considering you guys are 12 and 10 - I would not be getting excited just yet. If you win on Friday, fair play. But one win does not make you favourites - and if you do enter the finals as favourites - great. What's that count for? Sweet FA.

Timmah

Staff member
We're not favourites - nowhere near it and nowhere have I said that. So where are you pulling that from?