What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bulldogs should be Canterbury Bulldogs

Tidus_Raider

Bench
How geniused does Bulldogs on it's own sound.

Belmore is their home. Lakemba, Bankstown, Chullora, Canterbury, Birrong, Greenacre. All these suburbs are bulldogs land. They should return to their roots. Embrace it and forget about this bullshit where 'Bulldogs' is a marketing ploy because it appealls to more supporters 'oh, look it's the bulldogs, they are't from any particular area so we can support them....' The Sharks reverted back to Cronulla-Sutherland, the Bulldogs should do the same.

Besides how much better does Canterbury Bulldogs sound. Everyone else calls them that. Why not make it official?

xwizit

Juniors
i agree, it does sound much better.

whilst were on the name changing topic i hate "sydney" roosters :|

ash the bash

Juniors
I think you will find that about 90% of the RL community still refer them to as
The Canterbury Bulldogs, at least i still do...
It will be interesting to see if they do go back to Canterbury or Even Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs..

JW

Coach
Agreed. I'd prefer Canterbury, but just something, anything, before "Bulldogs" will do.

Just Bulldogs on it's own sounds crap IMO.

Cheers.

Tidus_Raider said:
How geniused does Bulldogs on it's own sound.

Belmore is their home. Lakemba, Bankstown, Chullora, Canterbury, Birrong, Greenacre. All these suburbs are bulldogs land. They should return to their roots. Embrace it and forget about this bullsh*t where 'Bulldogs' is a marketing ploy because it appealls to more supporters 'oh, look it's the bulldogs, they are't from any particular area so we can support them....' The Sharks reverted back to Cronulla-Sutherland, the Bulldogs should do the same.

Besides how much better does Canterbury Bulldogs sound. Everyone else calls them that. Why not make it official?

Jeez, dont say that mate or you'll have a bunch of Blue and White Neanderthals jump down your throat... :roll:

Nugby

Juniors
It's not as bad as the "sydney" Roosters, that one really gets to me, but yeah, it sort of loses it's identity a bit when marketing people try to do that.

*Paul*

Juniors
ash the bash said:
I think you will find that about 90% of the RL community still refer them to as
The Canterbury Bulldogs, at least i still do...
eelavation said:
they'll always be Canterbury to me?? just like Sydney will always be Easts,
Exactly. It's up to us the keep the faith. Easts and Canterbuty they still are. And the SFS is still that.

izzo

Juniors
arnt they the "Mitsubishi Electric Bulldogs" lol

Canterbury-Bankstown anyday mate

izzo

Juniors
Wests is Best said:
can we then say that 'Bulldogs' have just won their first premiership?

no then the Roosters would have a cry and be like "1 premiership" also

Hass

Juniors
You'll notice that nobody refers to the Roosters as "Sydney".

Nobody.

Read through the reams of journalistic comment on this match and they will generally be referred to as "The Roosters" and occassionally the "Sydney Roosters".

They were able to get away with changing their name to "Sydney City". Despite the fact many still thought of them as Easts, Sydney City had a ring to it and did define where they came from.

This nonsense about changing names to widen demographics is just that - nonsense.

Do people not go for Manchester United because they come from Manchester? Perhaps we should call them "The United Red Devils".

For all intents and purposes the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs beat the Eastern Suburbs Roosters last night - let's have club administrators make it official again!

Cheers.

DIEHARD

----
Here is to the CANTERBURY BULLDOGS

Pitty they can't change back officially in their 70th and Premiership winning year.

Bulldogs is a tarnished brand, Canterbury is not.

Hass said:
You'll notice that nobody refers to the Roosters as "Sydney".

Nobody.

Read through the reams of journalistic comment on this match and they will generally be referred to as "The Roosters" and occassionally the "Sydney Roosters".

They were able to get away with changing their name to "Sydney City". Despite the fact many still thought of them as Easts, Sydney City had a ring to it and did define where they came from.

This nonsense about changing names to widen demographics is just that - nonsense.

Do people not go for Manchester United because they come from Manchester? Perhaps we should call them "The United Red Devils".

For all intents and purposes the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs beat the Eastern Suburbs Roosters last night - let's have club administrators make it official again!

Cheers.

I agree with your sentiment re changing the name back but I disagree with you that it doesn’t have an effect on the fan base.

One only needs to look at all the Westie kids wearing Roosters strips. If you mentioned Easts to them they'd just stare at you blankly.

A lot of people still call the Dogs Canterbury but given time and they'll become exclusively the Bulldogs. I thought the reason they dropped Canterbury-Bankstown is because of the planned move to Liverpool. Now that that's fallen through I don't see why they should continue to promote themselves solely as a domestic animal.

Hass

Juniors
The Westie kids would only stare blankly if you mentioned the word "Easts" because it's been 10 years since the Roosters have gone by that name.

I contend that if the Roosters had experienced the same level of success they have in the last decade while maintaining the name "Eastern Suburbs" that there would be just as many Westie kids wearing Roosters jerseys.

You are still allowed to market your mascot to the hilt and pick up supporters who are trying to be trendy, however you shouldn't dispose of the name that signifies the area you initially represent.

Christ, I only need to think back to the people who were supporting Canberra during their green machine days when I was back at school. Despite having lived in Sydney all their life, the name "Canberra" sure didn't put them off wearing lime green jerseys all around the place.

Cheers.

ibeme

First Grade
I'd like to see them change their name back to Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs. That's what I always think of them as. I also understand though that on a commercial level, just calling themselves Bulldogs makes a bit of sense. It allows sponsors names to be incorporated, eg. "Mitsibishi Electric Bulldogs". It's unfortunate.