What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bunji to Broncos

blacksafake

First Grade
Interesting comments from Bennett:

“If Benji did come, I would not consider him as a halfback and he does not want to play in that position,”

“His game is not suited to halfback. He can play centre and fullback besides five-eighth.”

Nice to have an actual coach's perspective on that.
Would be nice to have an actual coach!

Uplifting

Juniors
Would be interesting to see Benji play at centre or fullback (attack-wise). Obviously Mary, was not flexible enough in his view of the team to have given that a shot.

Part of me hopes that Benji finishes his career with more success on the field...

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Part of me hopes that Benji finishes his career with more success on the field...

Me too. For all he has done for the game he doesn't deserve to have his legacy trashed by such an incompetent coach.

However the cynic in me thinks that Bennett is attempting to create a small media circus to distract everyone from his impending signing of Matt Lodge.

Lethal25

Juniors
Me too. For all he has done for the game he doesn't deserve to have his legacy trashed by such an incompetent coach.

However the cynic in me thinks that Bennett is attempting to create a small media circus to distract everyone from his impending signing of Matt Lodge.
There has to be next to zero chance of the NRL allowing Lodge's contract to be registered.

SaintPauli

Juniors
If I were Benji I would take up the Broncos offer? Wayne Bennett (as knowledgeable coach) knows what is best for you, guiding you with your current abilities and experience to best utilize your available talent for the team? Yes there is still something there and Wayne is best to bring it out as he has done with Sam Thaiday.

Dragons1990

Juniors
Just reported on 9 news Brisbane that Jason demetriu is on his way to Brisbane as well. If true another major stuff up by our club

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Just reported on 9 news Brisbane that Jason demetriu is on his way to Brisbane as well. If true another major stuff up by our club

Yep, very hot rumour and written in the Courier Mail.
If true then we all need to prepare for McGregor for at least another 3 years.

OzDragon

Coach
If true then we all need to prepare for McGregor for at least another 3 years.
56.gif

RedVDragon

Juniors
Best of luck to both of them. Benji will do well under Bennett and succeed, JD will learn from one of the best doesn't surprise me why would he report into the drunk one.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Conversation between Benji Marshall and Wayne Bennett led to Broncos offer
117c6155f730531d25cf2449366eea9a

PETER BADEL, The Courier-Mail
October 19, 2016 9:33pm

BENJI Marshall will formally sign with the Broncos within 48 hours after being talked out of retirement by Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett.

Marshall’s manager Martin Tauber revealed how a heart-to-heart with Bennett saved his NRL career, with the veteran playmaker telling the super coach: “I don’t want to retire.”

Bennett’s lifeline to Marshall is genuine with Brisbane’s recruitment-and-retention committee to rubberstamp a contract offer by Friday.

The 31-year-old will ink the basic fulltime deal, worth around $100,000-a-season, immediately, sealing his move to Queensland for a season of redemption in Broncos colours in 2017.

Bennett is taking one of his biggest recruitment gambles by signing Marshall but Tauber said money came secondary to the former Kiwi Test skipper’s desire to prove he is not a spent force.

Asked if Marshall will join the Broncos, Tauber said: “The deal will be done, yes.

“Benji will receive a contract from the Broncos in the next 24 to 48 hours and he will sign it.

“He desperately wants to continue his career at the Broncos.

“Whether it’s a one-year or two-year deal we’re not sure, maybe there will be an option (for a second season), but either way he’ll be moving to Brisbane.

“If he had his way, Benji would play another two or three years. Guys like Billy Slater, Cooper Cronk and Cameron Smith (Melbourne trio) are playing well into their 30s.

“This is not about the money, it’s about the opportunity and Benji’s desire to play on.

“In his words, he said he’s not ready to retire.”

A veteran of 255 NRL games, Marshall is viewed as a possible left centre following the retirement of Jack Reed.

Reed’s replacement late last season, rookie Tom Opacic, could miss the start of the 2017 premiership due to two shoulder operations that will sideline him for five months.

Bennett’s interest in Marshall only developed in recent days after the off-contract Dragons playmaker phoned him to seek the coach’s counsel as he weighed up his future.

“Benji actually rang Wayne for some career advice and that’s when the conversation turned to well what are you going to do Benji,” Tauber said.

“Benji said, ‘I’m not sure, I’m just looking for an opportunity’ and that’s where it all began.

“Wayne gave Benji some advice and that’s when the conversation turned. That’s what began the contract discussions.

“Wayne Bennett has a huge regard for Benji, he wrote the foreword to his book and always said he would like to coach him.

“By the end of the week, we’re expecting a firm contract offer in Benji’s hands.

“This is a good move. Wayne is a great coach and Benji would bring the quality of leadership and mentoring to Brisbane’s young players.

“He is a great ambassador for rugby league and he will do well in that regard for the Broncos.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...r/news-story/117c6155f730531d25cf2449366eea9a

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Conversation between Benji Marshall and Wayne Bennett led to Broncos offer
117c6155f730531d25cf2449366eea9a

PETER BADEL, The Courier-Mail
October 19, 2016 9:33pm

BENJI Marshall will formally sign with the Broncos within 48 hours after being talked out of retirement by Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett.

Marshall’s manager Martin Tauber revealed how a heart-to-heart with Bennett saved his NRL career, with the veteran playmaker telling the super coach: “I don’t want to retire.”

Bennett’s lifeline to Marshall is genuine with Brisbane’s recruitment-and-retention committee to rubberstamp a contract offer by Friday.

The 31-year-old will ink the basic fulltime deal, worth around $100,000-a-season, immediately, sealing his move to Queensland for a season of redemption in Broncos colours in 2017.

Bennett is taking one of his biggest recruitment gambles by signing Marshall but Tauber said money came secondary to the former Kiwi Test skipper’s desire to prove he is not a spent force.

Asked if Marshall will join the Broncos, Tauber said: “The deal will be done, yes.

“Benji will receive a contract from the Broncos in the next 24 to 48 hours and he will sign it.

“He desperately wants to continue his career at the Broncos.

“Whether it’s a one-year or two-year deal we’re not sure, maybe there will be an option (for a second season), but either way he’ll be moving to Brisbane.

“If he had his way, Benji would play another two or three years. Guys like Billy Slater, Cooper Cronk and Cameron Smith (Melbourne trio) are playing well into their 30s.

“This is not about the money, it’s about the opportunity and Benji’s desire to play on.

“In his words, he said he’s not ready to retire.”

A veteran of 255 NRL games, Marshall is viewed as a possible left centre following the retirement of Jack Reed.

Reed’s replacement late last season, rookie Tom Opacic, could miss the start of the 2017 premiership due to two shoulder operations that will sideline him for five months.

Bennett’s interest in Marshall only developed in recent days after the off-contract Dragons playmaker phoned him to seek the coach’s counsel as he weighed up his future.

“Benji actually rang Wayne for some career advice and that’s when the conversation turned to well what are you going to do Benji,” Tauber said.

“Benji said, ‘I’m not sure, I’m just looking for an opportunity’ and that’s where it all began.

“Wayne gave Benji some advice and that’s when the conversation turned. That’s what began the contract discussions.

“Wayne Bennett has a huge regard for Benji, he wrote the foreword to his book and always said he would like to coach him.

“By the end of the week, we’re expecting a firm contract offer in Benji’s hands.

“This is a good move. Wayne is a great coach and Benji would bring the quality of leadership and mentoring to Brisbane’s young players.

“He is a great ambassador for rugby league and he will do well in that regard for the Broncos.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...r/news-story/117c6155f730531d25cf2449366eea9a

Benji would rather play under Bennett for $100k than under MacGregor for $350k. Speaks volumes.

Old Timer

Coach
If he plays centre it will last 1 game against a good side as he will be a speed hump in defence.

All the big poppa's will be licking their lips at the prospect.

He is merely a cheap replacement for the halves come origin time or injury to others.

Benji will need to train the house down and practise all off season.

Those grandstands at Suncorp are much higher to throw a pass over the top than at Kogarah.

Warning to those in the cheaper "nose bleed" seats at Suncorp, beware the Benji cut out pass.

SaintHarry

Juniors
They get him for 1/ 5th of the price and he will better no doubt.. why play for a club who isnt going to win a premiership anytime soon and take a pay cut ? You'd go for the dollars if theres no premiership or finals campaign on the cards ... oh and welcome to the club Vaughn

Latest posts