What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Burns signs with Cowboys

Manly five-eighth Travis Burns will head to North Queensland after signing a three year deal with the Cowboys.

Burns - a 22 year old Queenslander born in Texas - has played 46 games in the NRL and been in outstanding form this season.

His signing comes just hours after veteran North Queensland playmaker Jason Smith advised club officials that 2007 would be his last season in the top grade.

Cowboys CEO Peter Parr believes Travis is a great acquisition for 2008.

"We are delighted that Travis has decided to play for the Cowboys. He is a very good footballer and a tough, tenacious competitor," Parr said.

"Given his age, the position he plays and that he is from Queensland, I am sure he will be a wonderful asset for us."

Burns is also eager to take up his new appointment.

"I am excited about the prospects of the Cowboys in the future and am looking forward to playing outside Johnathan Thurston and Matt Bowen, I simply can't wait," Burns said.

http://www.footytipping.net/news_article.asp?cid=1017

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Gee great signing for the Cowboys, Smith has been a target in defense all year. Wonder who Manly will replace him with??? Juda's :eek:

Gronk

Staff member
So Manly have flicked both Monaghan & Burns who got them to the top of the ladder and will now rely on Judas. :roll:

PS. the Cowboy was born in Texas.
50.gif

Stagger eel

Staff member
Mark my words, the Thurston/Burns combo will be the most feared in the comp on the other hand the Orford/Lyon will be laughable at best.

Bigfella

Coach
Sterlo has been making the point for a while that the Cowboys are best suited with a steady, defensive 5/8 who allows Thurston / Bowen to make the play.

Hard to imagine them signing a better young steady defensive 5/8.

Manly should beware - if Cliffy Lyons is telling you that Burns is a better 5/8 than the Pig, it has some cred...

PARRA_FAN

Coach
cant argue with that

Manly's loss is Cowboys gain. :D :lol:

Lyon is not a 5/8, when can Manly get it through them. Lyon is dangerous out wide and in open space, a centre. Thats it.

Bell is 31 this year, so it wont be long till he finishes up and Lyon goes back to the centres.

Phillips

Referee
cowboys also have jackson nicalou (spelling?) who also plays five eighth i think... has alot of talent.. they are looking good in the halves for next yr

caylo

Bench
Bigfella said:
Sterlo has been making the point for a while that the Cowboys are best suited with a steady, defensive 5/8 who allows Thurston / Bowen to make the play.

Hard to imagine them signing a better young steady defensive 5/8.

Manly should beware - if Cliffy Lyons is telling you that Burns is a better 5/8 than the Pig, it has some cred...

This is were i disagree, i think thurston is better suited to 5-8, and need someone who can distribute the ball to him out wide, and has a long kicking game. Burns is a runner off the ball, and has no noted kicking game. I think he would almost stagnate any attacking raids. I do think he is a better 5-8 than Lyon though, and i am still confused as to why manly persist with Lyon there.

fish eel

Immortal
He certainly is a better 5/8 than Lyon.

I'm now of the view, that all thetalk about Parra signing Lyon as a 5/8, was simply a smokescreen to convince Moanly and Lyon he was a 5/8....and it worked!

Stagger eel

Staff member
fish eel said:
He certainly is a better 5/8 than Lyon.

I'm now of the view, that all thetalk about Parra signing Lyon as a 5/8, was simply a smokescreen to convince Moanly and Lyon he was a 5/8....and it worked!

what that effectively means is that Mimis/Lyon threw Parra a dummy and consequently screwed Manly...

I could live with that.

fish eel

Immortal
eelavation said:
what that effectively means is that Mimis/Lyon threw Parra a dummy and consequently screwed Manly...

I could live with that.

I prefer to think it was us who threw the dummy, entertained the idea of him being a 5/8 and signing with us...whilst all the time knowing in the back of our minds he wouldnt. We called his bluff.

Either way, Moanly are stuck with a 5/8 who makes daniel wagon look like wally lewis.