What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Butterfield backflip in talks

Kaz

junior
I bet the players are happy that their interests are in the hands of a 'great' leader. :lol:

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,8774003-23214,00.html

By Peter Frilingos
February 24, 2004

PLAYERS Association chairman Tony Butterfield yesterday urged the NRL to raise the salary cap by $500,000 per club.

Butterfield also threw talks with the NRL management over the Collective Bargaining Agreement for players into disarray by doing a complete backflip on earlier proposals.

NRL chief executive David Gallop says he fears yesterday's developments may have stalled the implementation of the CBA.

"Tony Butterfield recently said agreement on the CBA was reasonably close," Gallop said. "Today he provided us with a draft document which not only introduced a range of new demands but contains issues which had previously been agreed on which they've now backflipped.

"The Players Association says it will meet the players agents next and we will meet them after that. But the current position will be a real concern to our clubs."

Gallop said Butterfield asked for a range of salary cap concessions including a lift of the limit.

Although Gallop would not be specific on the amount involved he confirmed it was substantially more than the $100,000 plus increase recently foreshadowed by the Roosters.

That increase is based on the CPI index.

Most clubs are against any increase to the limit of $3.5 million claiming any jump past that amount would be ruinous for some clubs.

The Players Association's claims would take the cap limit over $4 million.

The Daily Telegraph

Roosterphin

Juniors
Kaz said:
I bet the players are happy that their interests are in the hands of a 'great' leader. :lol:

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,8774003-23214,00.html

By Peter Frilingos
February 24, 2004

PLAYERS Association chairman Tony Butterfield yesterday urged the NRL to raise the salary cap by $500,000 per club.

Butterfield also threw talks with the NRL management over the Collective Bargaining Agreement for players into disarray by doing a complete backflip on earlier proposals.

NRL chief executive David Gallop says he fears yesterday's developments may have stalled the implementation of the CBA.

"Tony Butterfield recently said agreement on the CBA was reasonably close," Gallop said. "Today he provided us with a draft document which not only introduced a range of new demands but contains issues which had previously been agreed on which they've now backflipped.

"The Players Association says it will meet the players agents next and we will meet them after that. But the current position will be a real concern to our clubs."

Gallop said Butterfield asked for a range of salary cap concessions including a lift of the limit.

Although Gallop would not be specific on the amount involved he confirmed it was substantially more than the $100,000 plus increase recently foreshadowed by the Roosters.

That increase is based on the CPI index.

Most clubs are against any increase to the limit of $3.5 million claiming any jump past that amount would be ruinous for some clubs.

The Players Association's claims would take the cap limit over $4 million.

The Daily Telegraph

Gee where are all the Rooster haters now

ibeme

First Grade
If the players knew any better, they'd dump him. He's bitten off way more than he's capable of chewing by taking on this role. I'm sure his intensions are to get the players the best possible outcome, but his ideas and his methods are sadly lacking

gaterooze

Bench
I've always been a fan of Butts, but this is getting ludicrous. Surely they need to sack him and have someone with a better grasp of reality to represent the players.

PB

Bench
Does he have any Industrial Relations Law background at all? Because Gallop does, so knows the in's and outs of such negotiations, and he must be shaking his head at the moment

They have to punt Butterfield for the sake of the players and the code.

antonius

Coach
Butterfield has a buisness degree.

Has anyone thought that he is like any other industrial leader? "He delivers the message of his members" In other words it may well be he is only relaying what the players association have asked him to relay, doesn't mean he agrees with it. He's only their spokesperson. So before you go crucifying him I'd suggest you find out if it's all his ideas, and I'd be surprised if they are, because if he isn't doing what they are asking him to do I'm sure you'd have heard a fair bit of protesting from the players about being misrepresented, and to be honest I haven't heard any.

PB

Bench
A business degree is insufficent training for such a high level position if you ask me . And it is his responsibilty to tell the players what they should, should not be asking for. If the players ask for something, it is his job to give them profeesional advice. Something he appears incapable of doing.

i think, with all due respect Antonious, that as you are a Newcastle supporter, it would be tough to be critical of one of your own, so you may have to accept that your vision on this one is a little clouded. (as would mine if it was an x-parra player in charge).

antonius

Coach
PB said:
A business degree is insufficent training for such a high level position if you ask me . And it is his responsibilty to tell the players what they should, should not be asking for. If the players ask for something, it is his job to give them profeesional advice. Something he appears incapable of doing.

i think, with all due respect Antonious, that as you are a Newcastle supporter, it would be tough to be critical of one of your own, so you may have to accept that your vision on this one is a little clouded. (as would mine if it was an x-parra player in charge).

How do you know he isn't doing all the things your saying he should? To be honest I don't care if it's Butterfield or Phil Gould, all I'm saying is people are blaming Butterfield for the content of the demands, he didn't write them, he's only delivering what he's told to deliver. As for advice, if that's what they want then the players (Butterfield included) should be paying someone quallified to give it to them. Once again he's only their rep. I've been a union rep and I'm no lawyer, basically that's all Butterfield is "A Union rep"

Kaz

junior
antonius said:
In other words it may well be he is only relaying what the players association have asked him to relay, doesn't mean he agrees with it.

Pity he never told the players that he was telling the NRL that they would boycott the Dally M's

Raider_69

Post Whore
i read somewhere that some senior players aproached raiders 94 GF hero Paul Osborne about making a challange for Butterfeilds spot

Goleel

Juniors
He's stepping towards goose every time his name pops up in the media, Butterfield, I'm inclined to believe Gallop here about Butterfield agreeing to terms in private then coming out and trashing them in public, if they'd had a competent leader the collective bargaining agreement would have been in place by now.

Raider_69

Post Whore
i hope Osborne does take over
he is a champion bloke and being a former poletition he will know what it means to negotiate