What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

button bashing has to go

Crippler

Juniors
i have come to the point where I find the button bashing sprinting both arcadey and quite annoying.

For starters it appears there is no button bashing speed cap.

If I place the controller on my lap and bash it as hard as possible with your Index finger it will make the player run faster than what you could possible if you held the controller properly and used your thumb.
I can easily make a break with my fullback from the kickoff using the above method.

This i find very arcadey and it is slowly destroying my xbox A button as it is now effecting other games like Top spin tennis which is now less responsive due to my damaged A button.

Madden NFL has a perfect sprinting set up. When you hold the sprint button you can only have minimal turning power and forced to run as straight as possible. To change directions you cannot sprint at full pelt of which happens in real life.

The only button bashing that can be used in NRL game is to break a tackle. But continusaly pressing it is just stupid.

[furrycat]

Coach
I hate to say it, but in most sports game that requires you to tap, tapping the button faster by any means possible will make you run faster. If you do not want to damage your button, don't bash it. I don't have to bash it to break tackles... Dummies, Offloads are all effective than trying to break straight through and destroying your controller.

ReplicatedGod

Juniors
im getting sick of button bashing as well. I hate it when you sprint your life out... then when you try to break the line you have to fend or dummy... causing you to lose momentum in speed... and get tackled:(... my X button on PS2 is starting the ware down as well and become less responsive to kicking goals and stuff. i agree with Crippler on the Madden running style. It's alot easier to use and alot better.. because if you were to dummy... you could still be sprinting... or if you were to fend the full back... still sprinting... instead of slowing down and being caught by someone else whos chasing you instead of the fullback.

Crippler

Juniors
[furrycat said:
]I hate to say it, but in most sports game that requires you to tap, tapping the button faster by any means possible will make you run faster. If you do not want to damage your button, don't bash it. I don't have to bash it to break tackles... Dummies, Offloads are all effective than trying to break straight through and destroying your controller.

hate to say it but you are wrong :)

Pro evo soccer 3
fifa 2004
madden 2k4
espn nfl 2004 ??
Nba live 2k4
espn nba 2k4
NBa inside drive
jonah lomu rugby and future World champ rugby

they all have non button bashing sprint buttons.

roosters2004

Juniors
and rugby 2004 u just press it i think u should just have 2 press it on league my thumb is killing after every game..

lionmaul

Juniors
[furrycat said:
]I hate to say it, but in most sports game that requires you to tap, tapping the button faster by any means possible will make you run faster. If you do not want to damage your button, don't bash it. I don't have to bash it to break tackles... Dummies, Offloads are all effective than trying to break straight through and destroying your controller.

I agree, I like the current set up. It works excellent, I win my fair share of games on the hardest level. And I never come up with a hurting finger or thum. If your thum is hurting it means you have played for to long, take a break and go do somthing else . Excellent system Mario, Please don't ever change it. In real games you can't just sprint all over the field all the time, you have to pace yourself and thats what you have to do with the sprint button. It gives us a feel of actually working a little to break a tackle, or go for a long sprint try.
Cheers and Salu

Timmo

Juniors
I don't understand. The controllers do not react to how hard you smack the button. It is a case of how often and how far in you press.

Crippler

Juniors
lionmaul said:
[furrycat said:

I agree, I like the current set up. It works excellent, I win my fair share of games on the hardest level. And I never come up with a hurting finger or thum. If your thum is hurting it means you have played for to long, take a break and go do somthing else . Excellent system Mario, Please don't ever change it. In real games you can't just sprint all over the field all the time, you have to pace yourself and thats what you have to do with the sprint button. It gives us a feel of actually working a little to break a tackle, or go for a long sprint try.
Cheers and Salu

I would keep tapping the sprint button to break out of a tackle but to tap the button constantly to run 100 metres to score I try makes me feel like I am playing an athletics game in the video game parlour.

In real life you sprint as fast as you can. Why pace yourself over 100 metres? you are sprinting not running a marathon.

The perfect sprint setup is Madden and ESPN NFL whereby when holding the sprint button you can either keep on running the same line with minimal lateral movement (like in real life) or take your hand off the sprint button and slow down to change your direction of running as it is hard to do while sprinting ( as in real life).

This game to improve has to get rid of the arcade elements like button bashing and many people like it but the matrix kicking is fun at first but very annoying after playing the game for so long as it takes the element of timing completely out of the game and you lose the fear of being tackled on the 5th.

Jonah lomu has the perfect kicking system and many World Champ rugby will be better.

Crippler

Juniors
games should be decided on skill, timing and perfection. Not how fast you tap the sprint button.

Goleel

Juniors
ESPN uses bashing and it has good and bad points, but in the end I can accept bashing if your players speed doesn't depend on your bashing speed, rather, have two or three speeds, one for no bashing, one for slow bashing and one for quicker bashing, but make it so the top speed is still easy enough to get to without too much effort.

Arnie

Juniors
it's even worse when u're using a keyboard to play the game..i havent played the game for around 2 or more weeks cause my fingers have really gone achy and numb since playing this game.. :(

Kage

Juniors
I would like to see holding the button down for sprinting, and bashing the button for fending/breaking tackles. Also some type of short-term fatigue meter would be good, ie make a few 100m sprints with Lockyer in the space of a minute and his full speed drops until he recovers.

lionmaul

Juniors
Crippler said:
games should be decided on skill, timing and perfection. Not how fast you tap the sprint button.

Ok, Ok, I think this topic has been debated furiously, and it is obvious that strong opinions and good points have been made from both sides, I think it just comes down to personal preference. So why not include an option that you can either have manual,(tapping) or automatic (holding down) the sprint button, it doesn't seem like it would be that difficult of a feature to add and it would make both sides of the argument happy. ;-)
Cheers and Salu

PS. Mario if you see this, is this even something that could be done?

Cheers and Salu

Crippler

Juniors
alright this is what the makers of World Championship rugby put in their FAQ

Sprint ... yes there is a sprint button. Each player can only sprint for a certain amount of time to prevent cheap runs ... a sprint 'meter' is displayed for the player under control. So rather than just holding the button you have to time your runs. It's pretty cool positioning your wing, sucking in the cover and then hitting the afterburner to take him on the outside. So sprint and fatigue are sort of related. We do not have a seperate fatigue rating ... they tend to get annoying near the end of a game.

this is much better than button bashing and I would say the sprint meter goes alot quicker for a prop than it does for a winger. So it wont allow shane webke to run 100 metres to score of which you can currently do in the league game if you can bash you button hard enough.

Latest posts