What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bye Bye Mad Dog

Seano

Juniors
Adam MacDougall misses Johns, NRL finals
Monday, May 22, 2006 - 6:21 PM

South Sydney centre Adam MacDougall misses playing finals football alongside the likes of Andrew Johns and has instructed his manager to find him a strong club for 2007.

The rejuvenated former premiership winner with Newcastle cast doubt on new club owners Peter Holmes a Court and Russell Crowe's promises of a star-studded playing roster.

"I'm not going to lie, I'd love an opportunity to play finals football again so whether that happens here or not I don't know," MacDougall said.

"But that's definitely my goal next year, to be part of a club that looks like they're going to play in the finals.

"Looking back now I miss playing in a side with the likes of Andrew Johns and Danny Buderus."

MacDougall, who played 11 State of Origin matches for NSW and five Tests, said his dream of playing alongside brother Luke had been fulfilled at Souths and he was ready to move on if he had to.

"The opportunity to play with Luke's been fantastic but if that's not going to happen down the track, well I've done it."

The off-contract pair had been linked to a package deal with new NRL side Gold Coast.

But MacDougall said he'd told manager George Mimis to find him a strong club - with Souths and the Titans not yet measuring up.

"I've just told him to go away and do what he's meant to do and that's to find me an opportunity at a strong club," he said.

"I'm going to sit back and maybe wait and see what happens here and see what sort of players they're attracting before I make a decision.

"There's a lot of players off contract here so I'm sitting back with great interest to see who does re-sign before I make any decision."

Souths coach Shaun McRae suggested at Sunday's post-match media conference that the club had a way to go in its player retention and recruitment.

"Those decisions will be made I guess over the next month or so, the next few weeks," McRae said.

"We probably need to sit down and talk about our retention and recruitment a little bit more.

"We already have started to talk about things and I just don't think we've quite reached the decision yet to make them public."

MacDougall, who scored an impressive individual try and set up another in Souths' 28-26 loss to the Sydney Roosters, said his return to form was due to him getting his hands on the ball more often.

"At the end of the day, you play out wide you're at the mercy of the blokes inside you so it's good to get a bit of footy," he said.

Source: AAP

*groan*

Not that we had any hope of signing anyone anyway, but this will surely put a nail in the coffin

Mr Saab

Referee
Not good when you have players like he wanting out of the club.
I have NFI how they will attract players for 2007.
Maybe Taylor can convince some of the Eels to come across with him

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
To be honest the only way out I feel is by developing local juniors (Bit like Tigers and Penrith have done in the last few years) , and from there other higher profile players might come.

Problem is they have to have these juniors...hopefully they do.

Seano

Juniors
Yeah as i said, we didnt really have a snowballs anyway.

But maddog coming out with this crap to a newspaper really doesn't help things

buster bunny

Juniors
If he is unhappy why cant he keep it private. How the hell does he expect souths to recruit players when he come out with this?

innsaneink

Referee
buster bunny said:
If he is unhappy why cant he keep it private. How the hell does he expect souths to recruit players when he come out with this?

How else does he let all the CEO's know an aging balding albeit talented and strong running injury prone centre will be on the market soon?

Sounds like hes not real confident with his manager....
"I've just told him to go away and do what he's meant to do and that's to find me an opportunity at a strong club,"

....so next best thing, find a journo.

I agree though, its severely lacking in several areas and not helping Souths now.

aids

Bench
who would sign him?
he has 2 huges chips on his shoulders with injury and suspension troubles.
unless he goes cheap, i doubtr he would be picked up

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Mr Saab said:
Not good when you have players like he wanting out of the club.
I have NFI how they will attract players for 2007.
Maybe Taylor can convince some of the Eels to come across with him

What makes you think Parra players are any better than the players Souths already have? Parra isn't exactly setting the world on fire.

macavity

Referee
come back to newcastle mad dog.

we will give you a mars bar and a case of bluetongue and pick up the pharmacy bill.

Moffo

Referee
he only plays 8 games a year, why would you want him? he breaks down more often david woods

Penance

Juniors
That article confuses me...he plays rep footy again to attract players, yet now he says he wants out....Its all bull****

miccle

Bench
okay, it's not great for Souths as a club when it comes to attracting new players, but is it really anything for the fans on here to get worked up about?

Go crazy all you like, but I'm sure even a slow footy player would realise that a club that's yet to win a game this year and has finished well down the bottom of the table for a few years isn't going to be a place where all players are totally excited and happy all the time.

C.P

Juniors
Seano said:
Looking back now I miss playing in a side with the likes of Andrew Johns and Danny Buderus."

Poor Mad Dog, all that money that attracted him to the Rabbits in the first place isnt keeping him warm at night anymore.

Stupid comments and as someone has said does stuff all to help the Rabbits recruit better.

Seano

Juniors
I cant wait to see the team we field next year.

Think we are bad this year? Imagine us without:

Mad dog
Mad pup
Minichello
Most probably greenfield and there are rumours of manoukafoa leaving as well.

Christ! we wont win a game again lolol

But well still have HEGARTY! woohoo

Mr Saab

Referee
Maroubra Eel said:
What makes you think Parra players are any better than the players Souths already have? Parra isn't exactly setting the world on fire.

Parramatta are avg at present, but i am sure they must have some players coming off contract who could do something at souths.