What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Byrne or Vatuvei

Byrne or Vatuvei

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lego_Man

First Grade
Well, intelligence goes out the window when you're bleeding cash. But yeah, there's no way we'd be looking at "releasing" Vatuvei at this stage.

da mad maori

Juniors
Bit of a harsh thread I reckon. Toddy has contributed, be it last season,or earlier.The thing is, with the way the team is going at the moment there isnt a shouldnt be a place for him.
Having said that, Manu at this stage of his career, offers much much more toward the future of the club.He doesnt have to lose weight, but gain confidence in his ball skills, and "up" his fitness level.
Give him three seasons and he will go from the "scariest winger" to the most feared second rower in the game.
And thats is my thoughts on this topic.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Iafeta said:
This is funny!

That said though, we've written Toddy off fairly quickly - we shouldn't forget he played fantastic for us last year all told. 14 tries or something, 7 tries in 7 games at one stage including a couple of decisive ones - notably the killer blow against Melbourne.

Toddy was a good player for us last year for sure but as I said in an earlier post he was one of those wingers who was valuable because of his workrate, at his best he went looking for work in the centres and backing up and had a nose for the tryline as a result of that. When he stayed out on his wing he was never more than a reliable finisher with a good all-round game who din't really excel in any aspect. Manu has the advantage of being a bona fide weapon near the line and an extra forward in our own half. And for a big man his defence is actually pretty good, while he's inevitably a bit slow to turn (which anyone his size will be) his positioning is pretty spot on. The only thing he really needs to work on is his succeptibility to fumbling the ball on the ground.

Martli

Coach
da mad maori said:
Give him three seasons and he will go from the "scariest winger" to the most feared second rower in the game.

Yeah, I think as he gets older he will start to lose some of his pace and end out moving into the forwards, a bit like Wiki (Who is still f**kin' fast). Even Paul Harrogan used to be a winger (don't know if this was in FG though, bit beofre my time I think ;-))

ozbash

Referee
mad kiwi elloco bandido said:
I would like to see Vatuvei in the centres at some stage.

that was his position when he first started playing for us,, then he got a haircut and with the lowered wind resistance he was 15 kph faster, they put him on the wing..:cool:

hes an excitement machine.

MKEB...

Staff member
thank Christ he lost the ginger loking bleach...damn that was god awful.

Wiki

Juniors
I too would like to see Manu in the 2nd row. I think a lot of his errors would be minimised there as well. He wouldn't have to take the high balls (although he isn't bad with them) or the low balls (thats the trouble, haha).

:sarcasm:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
mad kiwi elloco bandido said:
thank Christ he lost the ginger loking bleach...damn that was god awful.

I dunno, I thought the gold 'fro was pretty cool, and it matched his teeth.

Martli

Coach
I want Vatuvei to stay in the backs for as long as his speed lets him to be honest. He's fine there, also a bit like haveing a 7th forward on the feild :D.

MKEB...

Staff member
Can anybody see the potential for Vatuvei to turn into a Meninga?

I remember Graham Hughes In a raider Semifinal in reference to Mal " Too big, too strong and too classy" after he went in for a try using his bulk.

Skinner

Coach
Lego_Man said:
What's the obsession with turning everyone into a second rower?

Mate - I have learnt now, you cannot be a Warrior supporter unless you
have a fervent desire to play every squad member completely out of
position.

It never ceases to amaze me - and it's definitely a Warriors thing.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Skinner said:
Mate - I have learnt now, you cannot be a Warrior supporter unless you
have a fervent desire to play every squad member completely out of
position.

It never ceases to amaze me - and it's definitely a Warriors thing.

This week I reckon we should mmove Evarn to halfback, Rovvles into the front row and Pricey to FB.