What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CA tv rights discussion

undertaker

Coach
Will they offer up a 9wwos commemorative limited edition signed lithograph of the country rejoicing that there’s a good chance Ian Healy is a cooked goose?
gettyimages-479871590.jpg

All of my dreams are coming true. First Vautin, now Clarke, Taylor and Warne. Just need Foxtel to pickup SOO rights to add another bunch of Nein rejects to the unemployment list. Warren, Fittler and Johns - please be next!

When Origin has been averaging 2.5 million+ (5 metros) viewers per game over the past decade, no way will Ch9 allow simulcasting for either Origin or NRL GF, as they are fully aware Foxtel would put a significant dent in their viewership (and therefore ad revenue) and they would be Foxtel's highest rating shows of the year.

Oh I can see it now

Brayshaw: well as you can see folks it’s still raining here in Brisbane after lunch on the 3rd day, so we will pick the action back up in the in the 2nd quarter of Geelongs epic encounter with Hawthorn from round 12 2000

ROFL! Gold! That's so typical of Brayshaw

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
The decision does not hurt me as I have foxtel.

But, the move is incredibly short-sighted by CA. CA's job is to grow the game in Australia and to make it as accessible to Australians as possible. This deal has hurt the growth of cricket in a huge way.

Six years is a long time. It is basically a generation of school kids. Adults have the choice of accessing foxtel, kids don't. The brands of cricket kids will more likely latch onto are one day cricket and 20/20 cricket. I first gained interest in cricket through watching one day cricket as a kid. I found test cricket boring but gained interest as I got older.
Cricket as a junior sport is struggling as is due to its slower nature as a sport (kids waiting to bat or standing in the field for long periods of time).To basically wipe those formats off tv is killing off potential interest from generation of kids to play or consume the game. A sport in Australia survives by being able to watch the best of the best play.
CA is also killing off potential growth markets. As with kids, adults from different walks of life are more likely to gain interest in cricket through watching 20/20 than test cricket. My father has a European background and always hated test cricket. What he could do was watch the second innings of a one day match and enjoy it. This deal kills off new markets to the game.
A large part of Australia simply refuse to pay for their tv. The vast majority of pay-tv subscribers are paying for NRL and AFL. I seriously doubt many extra people will sign up to watch cricket.

Part in bold applied to me as well. Used to love ODIs back in the mid-90s, right through most of the 2000s, but the love for test cricket grew exponentially as I got older, as defined by series during high school such as the 2001 tour of India and 2005 Ashes. There was something test cricket was able to deliver in those series that even the best ODIs or T20s couldn't. These days, with the exception of the World Cup, I've lost interest in all the plethora of 5-7 ODI bilateral series that are played around the world these days (at least a 3-4 team ODI series had some meaning, with a spot in the final being up for grabs), and have more of an interest when Australia is playing a test match, irrespective of who its' against. Also, 50 overs format has, like T20, become a batsman's game, with the increasing number of 300+ scores teams seem to rack up, flat pitches etc. Pitches offered a lot more for bowlers in Australia 20+ years ago.

And I agree with you about the struggles of cricket in lower grade levels. T20 and 35-40 over matches have completely dominated the landscape, and not enough 2 day games where bowlers can bowl extended overs. The late Terry Jenner (Shane Warne's coach) touched on this issue in an interview back in 2007 after Warne's retirement about the struggles of developing spin bowlers in the current junior/grade system in Australia these days.

Although test cricket is widely acknowledged by the purists as the highest, most prestigious form of the game and as much as I hate the over-saturation of T20, T20 has opened up another audience for those such as your father, or people from non-test playing nations such as America who only want to watch a game for 3 hours. And, I think it's great that the ICC in recent years have sanctioned T20 tournaments in places such as Hong Kong and now Canada (in July), areas which the ICC has neglected despite the presence of cricket in those areas for over 100 years (yes, the first cricket international, let alone the first sporting event between two countries, was between USA and Canada in 1844). However, with the exception of the T20 World Cup, T20 should only be confined to domestic tournaments

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
Last edited:

JW

Coach
https://www.cricket.com.au/news/sev...l-lawry-dennis-cometti-steve-smith/2018-04-15

The great Bill Lawry could be back on Australian airwaves this summer as cricket's new media partners have begun to elaborate on what fans can expect under a new era of cricket broadcasts.

Seven West Media and Fox Sports signed a $1.182 billion deal to jointly broadcast international and domestic cricket in Australia for the next six years. That ended a four-decade association between cricket and the Nine Network, while Network Ten had broadcast the Big Bash League for the past five years.

A new era could see fans "be your own director" with the ability to decide their own camera angles to watch with a suite of digital products set to complement the television broadcast, a concept known as 'second-screening'.

And familiar voices from Nine such as the legendary Lawry could be on the airwaves amid a fresh and diverse new look, with former captain Steve Smith also tipped to be involved in a yet-to-be-determined capacity, while Seven are reportedly keen to lure their own commentary doyen Dennis Cometti to join their coverage.

Seven will broadcast Australian Test cricket and 43 BBL games – including the finals series – as well as all Australian women's internationals and 23 WBBL matches from this summer.

Fox Sports will simulcast all that on its subscription service, with its own commentary team. It will also broadcast Australia's ODI and T20 international matches, an extra 16 BBL matches scattered throughout the regular season, as well as the Sheffield Shield final, select domestic one-day matches and some tour matches.

The Cricket Network – through cricket.com.au and the CA Live app – will provide broadcast quality live-streaming coverage of every Sheffield Shield match, and the remaining WBBL and JLT One-Day Cup matches not covered by Fox Sports.

Details of the digital options for broadcast matches haven't been made public, but live streaming will be available to fans through a digital partnership across Foxtel and Cricket Network platforms.

Seven is likely to have separate commentary teams for Test cricket and the BBL, and will look to "freshen up" the broadcast of the five-day format.

"(Cricket commentary) is very subjective and people have their opinions," Seven West Media CEO Tim Worner told The Sunday Times.

"I happen to think that Ten did a good job of freshening the presentation of cricket with the Big Bash and I think it's probably time to do the same thing with Test cricket and that's what we're going to set about doing."

Australian greats such as Ricky Ponting and Adam Gilchrist – who cemented their commentary credentials on Ten's BBL presentations – are in high demand, as is spin king Shane Warne who was part of Nine's commentary teams but has also worked with UK subscription service Sky.

Leading female commentators such as former Southern Stars players Mel Jones and Lisa Sthalekar have also been touted, as have highly-respected British commentators Alison Mitchell and Isa Guha.

Roz Kelly, the wife of South Africa quick Morne Morkel, previously worked on Ten's Big Bash coverage while former BBL host Mel McLaughlin could return to the T20 format through her current employers, Seven.

Foxtel CEO Patrick Delaney hinted the ever-popular Lawry was a target to return to the commentary box for the Boxing Day Test against India.

"We're not ruling out anyone," Delany told News Corp. "I've already had my three brothers on the phone about getting Bill on board. We've got grey hair all over the place. Why is 'diversity' just about women? It should be about all races and ages.

"I know the deft touch of Steve Crawley and his team and they will make sure we have great diversity."

Lawry himself declined to comment on as possible involvement.

Cricket coverage's link with the past will continue with Fox Sports' head of television Steve Crawley joining the subscription broadcaster three years ago after a decade leading Nine's cricket coverage.

"We are going to be investing in new technologies that target a younger audience who wants to be more engaged in the game," Crawley told News Corp.

"They want to find stories for themselves outside of what we are delivering on normal TV. This audience wants to be more engaged.

"They are simply not content with watching the game on one screen any more.

"Our goal will be to deliver how they want it, where they want it and when they want it.

"You will be your own director. You'll be able to pick different camera angles.

"In the new age, TV audiences are under pressure and we have to be really futuristic. The world will change over the next six years."

The second-screen coverage could include things such as ball tracking, player heart rate monitors and distance trackers for players and shots, while the introduction of augmented reality components has been flagged.

"There has been a huge change in the technology that's available to us," Crawley said.

"We have already begun discussions with companies who we believe will help us take the game to an audience both young and old across all platforms. This is not just about television. This is about all screens.

"It's important for us that technology is not the end game. It's simply a story-telling tool that helps us explain to our viewers what is it that makes these people out on the pitch the best in the world.

"We will work with Cricket Australia. They have a lot of good ideas and we have a great relationship."

Seven chief executive officer Tim Worner said he had already reached out to Cometti about a return to commentary duties for cricket.

The Perth-based 69-year-old is well known for his calls of Australian rules football but has covered a variety of sports over a decorated career. He hung up the microphone at the end of the 2016 AFL season but could be tempted back.

"I can certainly tell you that I have reached out to Dennis Cometti. I texted him, 'Are you bored yet?' I definitely intend to catch up with him in the very near future," Worner told The Sunday Times.

"Dennis is someone who I believe is a superb commentator and he actually started I think calling cricket. He's called a lot of cricket and he's exceptionally good at it.

"I can't be certain, but I'm definitely interested in having a chat with him."

Cometti FFS.

undertaker

Coach
Just as I predicted again, here come the AFL personnel being lured over to the Ch7's cricket coverage:

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/c...-call-cricket-for-channel-seven-ng-b88806502z

And if anyone wants to remember what Cometti sounded like last time he called cricket for Ch7, during the 1997 tour of South Africa, here it is:

Probably the most monotonous Australian commentary team ever had for a test series: Denis Cometti, Drew Morphett, Greg Chappell, Carl Rackemann, Terry Jenner and David Hookes. Dear oh dear oh dear.

And although it's behind a paywall, there is another article in The Australian about Bruce McAvaney potentially being the Richie Benaud/Mark Nicholas of Ch7's cricket coverage, which doesn't surprise me one bit as I mentioned in a previous post.

In addition, at Ch7, James Brayshaw and Brian Taylor (both AFL personalities) also have called cricket in the past, so if it is true that Ch7 will have two separate commentary teams - one for the test matches and the other for BBL - high chance both of them will get a gig because it's much cheaper for Ch7 to hire an already-existing employee rather than pay another 6-digit wage for a new commentator.

Last edited:
Reactions: JW

JW

Coach
As much as the paywall pisses me off regarding future exposure for the game and it's associated effects, it really is likely that Fox and mute will be the only options for Australia's sane population (ie. sans Malbun).

undertaker

Coach
Regarding cross-promotion during the cricket, we all remember last summer of the annoying ads Ch10 had during their BBL coverage: I'm a Celebrity, Family Feud, Bachelor in Paradise etc.

With Ch7 getting the FTA rights, 99% guarantee they'll heavily cross-promoting with:

Home and Away, My Kitchen Rules, Better Homes and Gardens, American tv shows they've imported, the upcoming AFL season etc.

And if Warne signs with Ch7, what's the odds his contract will include a stint on Home and Away, where he gets to make out with a female cast member on the show before he endures the wrath of Alf "flaming heck" Stewart?

654745850a89633359b2bd909eb17d9204443aa4_full.jpg

Last edited:
Regarding cross-promotion during the cricket, we all remember last summer of the annoying ads Ch10 had during their BBL coverage: I'm a Celebrity, Family Feud, Bachelor in Paradise etc.

With Ch7 getting the FTA rights, 99% guarantee they'll heavily cross-promoting with:

Home and Away, My Kitchen Rules, Better Homes and Gardens, American tv shows they've imported, the upcoming AFL season etc.

And if Warne signs with Ch7, what's the odds his contract will include a stint on Home and Away, where he gets to make out with a female cast member on the show before he endures the wrath of Alf "flaming heck" Stewart?

654745850a89633359b2bd909eb17d9204443aa4_full.jpg
This sounds like their best storyline of all time

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Well now that CA managed to get a few more pieces of silver for the Broadcast rights, it would be great if they could price their ODI games comparable to the BBL priced games. Because watching Australia play ODI cricket in a nigh empty MCG is not a good advertisement for the game.

And seriously sort out the scheduling for the two 3 test tour series. Because if the last test of the year is the Sydney New Years test, the summer season in Australia feels over in early January. Move the Perth or Gabba test to after if need be. And have some ODI cricket before Boxing Day. Like it used to be. I get that there is no viable alternative scheduling for the Ashes, but the Ashes is different.

I don't quite know how CA and Nine managed to absolutely blunder the very product, day night ODI cricket, that they invented and sold to the world, and then managed to wreck it at home, while it is still comparatively in much better health elsewhere in the world.

I still love day/night odi cricket. I don't even care that much if I miss the first half of or the entire the first innings. Or even merely just catch the last 15 overs of the chase.

But I am looking forward to a dedicated cricket channel and anticipate more cricket tv shows, which I think have been sorely lacking besides a mere "Inside Cricket" and NZ's puff piece "the Cricket Show". I don't even care if Crash Craddock dominates these shows. I am sure they will find room for AB, O'Keefe and Stuart Clark, and the rest of their talent.

I'd quite like a Cricket 360 type show, and the Australian summer coinciding with Safrica and NZ's provides more current international cricket to discuss.

Last edited:
Well now that CA managed to get a few more pieces of silver for the Broadcast rights, it would be great if they could price their ODI games comparable to the BBL priced games. Because watching Australia play ODI cricket in a nigh empty MCG is not a good advertisement for the game.

And seriously sort out the scheduling for the two 3 test tour series. Because if the last test of the year is the Sydney New Years test, the summer season in Australia feels over in early January. Move the Perth or Gabba test to after if need be. And have some ODI cricket before Boxing Day. Like it used to be. I get that there is no viable alternative scheduling for the Ashes, but the Ashes is different.

I don't quite know how CA and Nine managed to absolutely blunder the very product, day night ODI cricket, that they invented and sold to the world, and then managed to wreck it at home, while it is still comparatively in much better health elsewhere in the world.

I still love day/night odi cricket. I don't even care that much if I miss the first half of or the entire the first innings. Or even merely just catch the last 15 overs of the chase.

ODI’s should be before the tests, no doubt.

Not sure about some of your other points though.

ODI’s haven’t exactly been killed, they still rate very well on TV. Crowds are down, however they’re still the second biggest crowds for ODI’s around the world.

I’d say the ODI crowds are a combination of a few things

Ticket prices too high
More overall cricket product (with the BBL)
And people are time poor.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
ODI’s should be before the tests, no doubt.

Not sure about some of your other points though.

ODI’s haven’t exactly been killed, they still rate very well on TV. Crowds are down, however they’re still the second biggest crowds for ODI’s around the world.

I’d say the ODI crowds are a combination of a few things

Ticket prices too high
More overall cricket product (with the BBL)
And people are time poor.

The prices are wayy too high when compared to the BBL. And I suspect that the t20 has given those who are more time poor towards cricket, an option of compromise to the keener fan be they friends or family, of lets go to a t20 game instead.

It may be nice for CA if unable to fill the large stadiums, to think about using smaller stadiums and ovals to create more atmosphere. It isn't like Australia doesn't have plenty of high quality cricket grounds beyond those that can handle AFL finals crowds.

By spreading the games around with cheap tickets and in smaller grounds filled to capacity, it could do wonders for the look of the ODI product.

In the ol' days, Nine used to 'blackout' cities hosting odi games involving Australia until they were sold out. So if the SCG didn't sell out, there were no guarantees of a broadcast in the Sydney metropolitan area. After Nine stopped doing this, the crowds were still up. But they have dropped off. I'm not advocating a return to this, I like my big screen tele and AirCon with cheap drinks at home as much as the next person. But there has to be way of incentivising cricket attendance, like the BBL did with cheap family concessions.

I've read about your odi ticket prices, and I think that they're outrageous, before transport food and drink is even factored in. No wonder the grounds are so empty. The BBL has been profitable filling the huge stadiums more based on cheap packages. I just want to see CA take some iniative to getting ODI cricket humming along. Nine and CA made this format of the game what it is, with 30m circles, lights, white balls, coloured clothing. It should be a source of Australian Cricket pride.

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
The BBL has definitely had an impact on this.

My brother in law takes his kids to Sixers matches now, when he used to take them to ODIs. Costs him a fraction of what it used to.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/crick...ly-lose-cricket-broadcasting-rights-to-foxtel

Cricket greats Shane Warne, Adam Gilchrist and Ricky Ponting have emerged as major players in what is being hailed as the start of a new era in how Australia's number one summer sport is presented at home.

The trio are believed to be keenly sought after by cricket's new free-to-air home Seven, which will broadcast tests and the Big Bash League, while former test stars Mark Waugh and Damien Fleming

Warne and Gilly in commentary together? Surely Steve Waugh can be brought in each year for the Sydney test to really make the commentary juicy.

Canard

Immortal
The prices are wayy too high when compared to the BBL. And I suspect that the t20 has given those who are more time poor towards cricket, an option of compromise to the keener fan be they friends or family, of lets go to a t20 game instead.

It may be nice for CA if unable to fill the large stadiums, to think about using smaller stadiums and ovals to create more atmosphere. It isn't like Australia doesn't have plenty of high quality cricket grounds beyond those that can handle AFL finals crowds.

By spreading the games around with cheap tickets and in smaller grounds filled to capacity, it could do wonders for the look of the ODI product.

In the ol' days, Nine used to 'blackout' cities hosting odi games involving Australia until they were sold out. So if the SCG didn't sell out, there were no guarantees of a broadcast in the Sydney metropolitan area. After Nine stopped doing this, the crowds were still up. But they have dropped off. I'm not advocating a return to this, I like my big screen tele and AirCon with cheap drinks at home as much as the next person. But there has to be way of incentivising cricket attendance, like the BBL did with cheap family concessions.

I've read about your odi ticket prices, and I think that they're outrageous, before transport food and drink is even factored in. No wonder the grounds are so empty. The BBL has been profitable filling the huge stadiums more based on cheap packages. I just want to see CA take some iniative to getting ODI cricket humming along. Nine and CA made this format of the game what it is, with 30m circles, lights, white balls, coloured clothing. It should be a source of Australian Cricket pride.

They used to black out all but the last session of Test matches too.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Brayshaw will be there on 7.

If foxtel up there price again because they've got the cricket (like they did with the last league deal) they can get f**ked

Latest posts