What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cairns District Rugby League 2004

Who will win the 2004 Cairns premiership?

• Atherton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yarrabah

• Innisfail

• Tully

• Mareeba

• Total voters

Bomber

Bench
Just starting another post for another season, in the best rugby league competition north of....well....Townsville. :oops:

Trials start this weekend, as Akdrob has pointed out in the 2003 season post. A Cairns rep side will take on the Young Guns in the curtain raiser to the Cowboys/Manly match at Barlow Park tomorrow night.

Early predictions for CDRL:

1. Brothers :evil:
2. Atherton :)
3. Innisfail :oops:
4. Suburbs :oops:
5. Ivanhoes :evil:
6. Tully :?
7. Yarrabah :?
8. Mossman :lol:
9. Kangaroos :oops:
10. Mareeba :lol:

Cheers all
Bomber

akdrob

Juniors
You're on the ball early Bomber.

My calls are:
Top five sides (in no order) Brothers, Suburbs, Atherton, Innisfail, Tully.

Fringe = Yarrabah

Strugglers = Ivanhoes, Kangaroos, Mareeba, Mossman

What is the go with no Mareeba -v- Mossman under 18 game this weekend.
:?

The best comp north of Bishop Park :) :) :) :) :) :)

akdrob or bomber, do you know the Cairn's team for tonight's trial against the Young Guns?

Also, do you know when the CDRL draw will be released?

Bomber

Bench
Brothers defeated Mossman in the final of the local Nines competition held at Brothers on Saturday. All ten CDRL clubs competed, with varying degrees of seriousness.

More trials this weekend (but maybe not with all this rain..... :oops: )

Dirty Hoe

Juniors
huge night at the mossnam hotel after the 7's...they won a grand and put 600 on the bar...steely was well gone hehe. looks like the mossman is the new drinking spot, after the exchange hotel changed owners and the new owners are going to dog the sharks...so the sharks are short of a major sponsor. the exchange smelt anyway. hopefully the sharks can pull a few more wins, the new boys went well too apparently. be a good test for the sharks against suburbs this weekend....although the burbs have lost alot of players.

Bomber

Bench
Twas nines, to be sure, to be sure.

I thought you signed with the Dirty Hoes, Dirty Hoe. Good to see you saw the light. ;-)

akdrob

Juniors
I thought he did the dirty on both clubs and went south after bagging both clubs on this forum :?

akdrob

Juniors
Bomber, have Mossman got a good 18's this year or will they be similar to last years side. I hear the 18's comp may struggle with some clubs yet to form sides.

Bomber

Bench
As far as I understand, the 18's will again be quite weak. The juniors only went up to under 14s last year (although there are rumblings that there may be a 15s side this year), and four years is a big gap.

We're certainly not in Atherton's position where we have four junior clubs to draw on to form an 18s side! :D

Has the CDRL season draw been published in the Cairns Post yet? It wouldn't surprise me if it hadn't, since those journalistic types have come down with some sort of virus called Taipansfinalitis :oops: Apart from Atherton coming up to Mossman, I wouldn't have a clue who else is playing.

Trial results this weekend

Atherton d. Mareeba at NQ Hardware Stadium (what was the score? didn't catch it on ABC Local Grandstand)
Brothers d. Ivanhoes 54-20 (surprise, sur-fricking-prise!)
Kangaroos d. Yarrabah 44-36 at Yarrabah (first win at Jilara Oval ever by Roos, but can they do it when it counts?)
Tully d. Innisfail 38-28 (Innisfail in decline?)
Suburbs d. Mossman 28-8 at Mossman (last year it would have been 78-8)

Carn the Sharkies

Bomber

Bench
The first round of matches is almost exactly the same as last year, just some venue changes. Are they recycling the draw again this year, Akdrob?

CDRL Round One

Innisfail Leprechauns v Yarrabah Sea Hawks at Callendar Park
Last year at this venue - Innisfail 52-12
Innisfail have lost a few players this year but have retained the nucleus of their premiership-winning side. Yarrabah I think will be in for another up-and-down year. Should be a high-scoring game. Innisfail by 16

Mossman v Atherton at Mossman Showgrounds
Last year at this venue - Atherton 38-4
These two teams had vastly different seasons in 2003, finishing last and first respectively after 18 rounds. However, only one of these two teams won their last game of the year :D I think Mossman will be looking for improvement in small steps, not big steps. Atherton, despite losing their coach and judging from today's CP a few players as well, should still be a very good side this year, and should do it in style in Round 1. Atherton by 20

Brothers v Mareeba at Stan Williams Park
Last year at this venue - Brothers 78-6 (Round 10)
Once upon a time this would have been a good game to watch. Now, with Brothers having stacked their side, I'm not so sure. Mareeba have struggled in recent seasons and generally nothing has changed that. Brothers by 32

Tully v Kangaroos at Tully Showgrounds
Last year at this venue - Tully 54-4 (Round 10)
Tully finished 2003 in dreadful style, with heavy losses to Innisfail and Yarrabah finishing their season. They will use this as their motivation to get back in the finals. Roos should do alright this season but I don't think they'll beat Tully at home. Tully by 10

Ivanhoes v Suburbs at Smithfield
Last year at this venue - Suburbs 58-20
The surprise 2003 grand finalists match up against the 2001 grand finalists. How ironic that in 2001 Suburbs were struggling, whilst Ivanhoes went down in the grand final; whereas in 2003 the roles were reversed, with the Knights suffering the indignity of losing to Mossman in the final round (26-12, all you scummy supporters!!!). Both sides have shown patchy trial form - I say patchy in the case of Suburbs because they had the ball for 70 minutes against Mossman but could 'only' score five tries, whereas they let in two tries in five minutes. Ivanhoes, well, what can I say about their trial form?! Suburbs by 24

How they finished in 2003
Atherton 15-0-3
Innisfail 14-1-3
Suburbs 14-0-4
Brothers 13-0-5
Tully 9-0-9
Yarrabah 9-0-9
Kangaroos 6-1-11
Mareeba 4-0-14
Ivanhoes 3-0-15
Mossman 2-0-16

Finals:
Playoff for 5th - Yarrabah 44 Tully 22
Major Prelim SF - Innisfail 36 Suburbs 14
Minor Prelim SF - Brothers 56 Yarrabah 12
Major SF - Innisfail 38 Atherton 16
Minor SF - Suburbs 30 Brothers 26
Prelim F - Suburbs 49 Atherton 18
Grand Final - Innisfail 40 Suburbs 25 (extra-time: FT 24-all)

Cheers all. GO SHARKS
Bomber

akdrob

Juniors
I wasn't having a shot at Mossmans plight with 18's. I was just curious how they were going this year. Whilst Atherton do draw from four clubs (Atherton, Ravenshoe, Malanda & Herberton) you have to remember that apart from Atherton those clubs are located away from the home of the Roosters. Most 16yo aren't interested in travelling or can't travel to training and games. Malanda don't field a 16's, Herberton rely on boarders at the college who go home through the year and don't return and quite a few of Ravenshoe's juniors come from as far away as Mt Garnet (a 100 klm each way trip). Yes we do have the "luxury" of having four junior clubs but it takes quite an effort to get a side going.
Anyway hope the comp is a good one this year. :D :D

Bomber

Bench
Hey - I wasn't having a shot at the Roosters at all. And there's no offense taken re: Sharks. :D

Here we go for the first round of games this year....I can barely contain my excitement....

Tully Tigers v Kangaroos at Tully Showgrounds
A-Grade - Tully 34-14
Reserves - Tully 34-8
Under 18s - Tied 28-all

Innisfail Leprechauns v Yarrabah Sea Hawks at Callendar Park
A-Grade - Innisfail 56-6
Reserves - Innisfail 18-10
Under 18s - Innisfail 22-16

Brothers v Mareeba Gladiators at Stan Williams Park
A-Grade - Brothers 52-6
Reserves - Brothers 76-16
Under 18s - Brothers 62-4

Ivanhoes v Suburbs Cockatoos at Smithfield
A-Grade - Suburbs 18-14
Reserves - Suburbs 38-10
Under 18s - Suburbs 40-36

and now for the big one

Mossman-Pt Douglas Sharks v Atherton Roosters at Mossman Showgrounds
A-Grade - Mossman-Pt Douglas 28-4
Reserves - Mossman-Pt Douglas 32-8
Under 18s - Atherton 28-8

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

images

images

GO THE SHARRRRRRRRRKIES!!!

akdrob

Juniors
Good win to the Sharks. What about the rain Bomber. Could it get any heavier than during the 18's game.

I hope that the scorelines from the Brothers games aren't an indication of how the comp is going to be this season. :?: :?:

akdrob

Juniors
All Cairns District RL games cancelled this weekend due to impending cyclone with torrential rain and flooding. :( :(

Bomber

Bench
There is a Foley Shield game between Cairns and Mackay this weekend in Walkerston, according to Monday's Cairns Post. Accordingly, I don't think there will be any CDRL fixtures (a three week break between the first and second game!!! What if there's another cyclone?)

More importantly, the Sharkies juniors have a home game this weekend against Edmonton. Roll up, roll up for the best entertainment going around - Bomber trying to referee :oops:

Bomber

Bench
I'll be away from the net for the upcoming round of matches (Round 3), so unless Akdrob or somebody else can provide scores, there'll be no scores.

Kangaroos beat Ivanhoes 42-32 (I think) at Smithfield in their Round 2 match. Neither side had players involved in the Foley Shield match between Cairns and Mackay and thus were able to play their match which was cancelled the week before. Ivanhoes have started 2004 with two losses :lol:

akdrob

Juniors
This weekends games in the CDRL

Kangaroos -v- Mareeba
Atherton -v- Ivanhoes
Yarrabah -v- Mossman
Brothers -v- Innisfail
Tully -v- Sububs

:D :D :D :D :D

Sgt Schultz

Juniors
Akdrob I hear the Cowboys will be making a decision this weekend to see if their match with Redcliffe will be held at the Kangaroos club.

What are the facilities like at the ground I've heard they are very ordinary and that game may go to Mareeba.

What are yor thoughts

akdrob

Juniors
The Kangaroos "deal" was never actually made. I am told it was only made public by some Kangaroos officials on the belief that because Redcliffe were playing it would be there. Of course it is a Cowboys "home" game so they will dictate where it is to be held.
Kangaroos is not a ground suitable to hold a Qld Cup game. It has no actual dressing rooms, the field has a dramatic tilt to one side and the lighting is so poor that a night game is out of the question.
I am holding out hope that the game comes to the Tablelands and preferably to Atherton where the NQ Hardware Stadium has the best facility for RL of all the Cairns clubs.
If you find out the decision Schultzie can you post it here for us.