What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Call for NRL to trial players wearing gloves

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Boots raise every player's game about equally. They don't decrease the gap between good and bad players, just improve the overall spectacle. But gloves do artificially decrease this gap. Players with good handling skills gain very little by wearing them, but a "feet for hands" bloke gains a lot. This is unfair.

If you've got hands for feet, gloves will do little to fix that. It simply takes the slipperiness of a ball out of the equation.

Rosin, you know that glue they spray on every players hands before a game, is more tacky than any glove on the market. Silicon just makes water a non-factor.

But LOL @ thinking boots raise the level of every players game equally, if that were the case, there wouldn't be so much research put into boot performance by each individual manufacturer. When blades were first released, people were trying to ban them because they gave much better grip over standard stud configurations.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
I love cold weather but Winters can be brutal in canada especially in winterpeg wore glass cutters in a few games back in high school and the season finishes a month before winter starts
Places like Canberra are balmy in comparison

I've lived in Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton. I love the cold weather too, but when you're driving on a highway and the temperature gauge on your car reads -80 due to the wind chill at those speeds... You know it's a little colder than Canberra ever hits outside.

Coldest day I ever experienced was -54 before wind chill, it wasn't pleasant to say the least. I must admit, I was a 'fairy' and wore gloves that day.

Tone83

Juniors
You guys are so close minded, just immediately poo poo the idea and then clumsily reach for excuses "ahh... they might scratch eachothers faces with the gloves" lol, you don't even know what they're made of yet. I dunno if gloves are a good idea or not but I do know these close minded attitudes are bad for rugby league.

One thing you can say for the nfl is the sport has evolved and adapted in accordance with issues that have arose in the trial and error of competition each week. Basically when stuff sucked they fixed it, rather than just had a whine on the sunday roast. We could learn a lot from that.

Some games the ball is being coughed up way way too much to a point where it ruins the spectacle, I've been thinking for a while they need to change the ball cause what other pro sport has a synthetic ball worth 25 bucks? It's embarrassing and yes handles the dew badly. I think the ball should be changed AND they should wear high tech gloves. Why not? Why is the league community so scared of change? Like a bunch of autistic old women.

counterpuncher

Juniors
http://www.packers.com/news-and-eve...ng-games/ff9b5ed7-ab01-4561-9261-fec0bc630b5c

A recent opinion argument on exactly the same topic from an NFL perspective. In a nutshell .....

Old guy says "The heroes of the bygone era didn't wear them, was a man's game, todays records are meaningless, etc.....".

Young guy says "You want to watch everyone drop catches in the snow and ruin the spectactle? Ban gloves then".

You could see this go on for a very long time .....

StormHi

Juniors
http://www.packers.com/news-and-eve...ng-games/ff9b5ed7-ab01-4561-9261-fec0bc630b5c

A recent opinion argument on exactly the same topic from an NFL perspective. In a nutshell .....

Old guy says "The heroes of the bygone era didn't wear them, was a man's game, todays records are meaningless, etc.....".

Young guy says "You want to watch everyone drop catches in the snow and ruin the spectactle? Ban gloves then".

You could see this go on for a very long time .....

Qft /thread

Some games the ball is being coughed up way way too much to a point where it ruins the spectacle, I've been thinking for a while they need to change the ball cause what other pro sport has a synthetic ball worth 25 bucks? It's embarrassing and yes handles the dew badly. I think the ball should be changed AND they should wear high tech gloves. Why not? Why is the league community so scared of change? Like a bunch of autistic old women.

Boots give everyone an advantage, everyone is welcome to use whatever boots they are the happiest with, so while it raises the spectacle, it doesn't have an equalisation effect on the players. Gloves do. When the ball gets wet or slippery, you need to pay more attention to detail and/or play a different brand of footy. Some players are worse than others at adapting to the conditions or even just catching the slippery ball. And that's how it should be.

adamkungl

Immortal
If using gloves makes the game better then it sounds good.

It wouldn't make the game better, it would make the game more predictable, more sterile.

Ball handling is an important part of the game. A player's ability to catch and secure the ball is crucial.

Boots isn't a valid comparison simply because the ability to not slip over on grass isn't and never was a core skill in the game of Rugby League.

Admitedly, there have obviously been advances in ball technology that have improved handling. But it seems we're at a good balance now. Does anyone actually think there is too much drop ball across the game as a whole? Would your enjoyment of Rugby League be improved by removing a significant amount of errors from the game as whole? And should technology be used to further increase the limited abilities of players?

No on all counts from me.

No ....it sounds shit.

Nothing wrong with the game .......stop f*cking around with it.

Watch something else if you don't like it.

qft

Frenzy.

Immortal
Call for NRL to trial players wearing gloves
WHEN Ron Massey talks rugby league you listen and this week one of the game's great innovators had a thought: why don't we let NRL players wear gloves like they do in NFL?

This was before the dementia right?

Tone83

Juniors
The gloves wouldn't make everyone equal, they'd just improve everyone equally. So manu would start catching passes to his chest, and inu and gi would be making more amazing highflying catches, the game would just be lifted a tier, not levelled out or sterilised.

Latest posts